TSScorp burner will only burn CDs, no DVDs

Hi all,

I did a clean reinstall of my computer the other day, and I’m having a bit of a problem now. I can burn CDs as much as I like, but DVDs… not so much. Even though Nero says everything went fine, every single resulting DVD is unreadable for my computer, my DVD player, everything.

I have a TSScorp burner (I think it was the one described in this thread), but as suggested I did some flashing, so now my computer thinks I have a Toshiba SDR6472U. I can still burn CDs, and still no DVDs.

I’m not sure what kind of other specs you’d like to know about, but any help is much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

At the moment I can think two main possibilities for this issue:

[ol]
[li]You are using very low quality discs, so after the burn you have a coaster (an unreadable disc)
[/li][li]Your drive is damaged. Because of there are two separate lasers for CD and DVD, if you have problems only with DVDs it’s possible that the DVD laser is damaged. If you are able to read DVDs, however, the laser is not damaged.
[/li][/ol]

To check if the drive is damaged, a good test is to try a “live DVD” of a linux distribution. These discs can run an entire operative system from a DVD. Don’t worry: these discs will not install anything on your hard disc.

If the drive is able to start the system from a DVD, then the drive is not damaged.

What DVD discs are you using exactly?

Hi Geno,

Thanks for replying to my desperate cry for help. :iagree:

The DVDs can hardly be the problem, because my dad uses the very same batch and he doesn’t have any problems.

I wasn’t sure what you meant exactly with the whole live-dvd thing, but I did succesfully start both a real (non-burned) movie DVD and a burned data DVD. That would mean my laser’s okay, right?

Thank you again for helping! :clap:

Ok, the laser seems ok then :slight_smile:

About the media, even if your dad uses these discs with no problem, this will not exclude a media problem.

Can you post here brand and mediacode? The brand is written on the box of discs, the mediacode can be retrieved with cd-dvd speed (see in my signature where to find this free software).

CD-DVD Speed allows also to see the exact model of the burner, and the currently installed firmware (see the pic as example) :slight_smile:

I use Arita DVDs (16x DVD+R). The mediacode is ‘RICOHJPN R03 004 (04h)’.

My burner thinks it is a Toshiba CD/DVDW SDR6472U on the TU02 firmware. But, as I said, it originally is a TSScorp burner.

I tried another brand of DVDs, but that gave the same result. These are Platinum 16x DVD+R discs, mediacode: ‘RITEK R05 001 (01h)’.

Hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me… :wink:

[QUOTE=Jelle;1924069]I use Arita DVDs (16x DVD+R). The mediacode is ‘RICOHJPN R03 004 (04h)’.

[B]My burner thinks it is a Toshiba CD/DVDW SDR6472U on the TU02 firmware. But, as I said, it originally is a TSScorp burner.[/B]

I tried another brand of DVDs, but that gave the same result. These are Platinum 16x DVD+R discs, mediacode: ‘RITEK R05 001 (01h)’.

Hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me… ;)[/QUOTE]

Same thing.

Use better media like TY & Verbatim.

[quote=chef;1924117]Same thing.

Use better media like TY & Verbatim.[/quote]
Considering I’ve been using Arita for five years without a single failed disc, that’s not a very helpful “solution”…

[QUOTE=Jelle;1924120]Considering I’ve been using Arita for five years without a single failed disc, that’s not a very helpful “solution”…[/QUOTE]

[B]LOL[/B]

Sure, you are using the exact same disc for about 5 years. So sure. :doh:

Just because you’re a Guru with nearly 20,000 posts doesn’t mean you have to be rude.

You explain to me why this very batch of DVDs worked fine before, but gives failed burns after I did a clean reinstall of my computer. And why my dad uses the very same batch with perfect results.

The fact that I ask for help to solve a problem doesn’t mean I’m a complete idiot, you know. I like Geno’s help a lot better…

[QUOTE=Jelle;1924127]Just because you’re a Guru with nearly 20,000 posts doesn’t mean you have to be rude.

You explain to me why this very batch of DVDs worked fine before, but gives failed burns after I did a clean reinstall of my computer. And why my dad uses the very same batch with perfect results.

The fact that I ask for help to solve a problem doesn’t mean I’m a complete idiot, you know. I like Geno’s help a lot better…[/QUOTE]
Nobody is being rude here. The advice to use better media is sound and with lessor brands the actual dye or Media ID being used can vary so suddenly you start getting problems. Also some dyes will deteriorate over time even before being burned so problems start occurring.

Anyways it would make sense to check the DMA status of the burner as if it’s running in PIO mode you could get some bad burns.

Also I’m moving this thread to the Samsung burner forum as that’s the best place for it.

Be that as it may, blaming it all on the cheap brand seems a little easy when this batch works fine on my dad’s burner.

I’m not too much into the technical side of all this; how do I check the DMA status?

My bad, it says right here in this thread how to check if DMA is enabled.

Anyway, both my primary and secundary IDE channels have DMA enabled (if available) on devices 0 and 1. That’s good, right?

Hi,[QUOTE=Jelle;1924146]
Anyway, both my primary and secundary IDE channels have DMA enabled (if available) on devices 0 and 1. That’s good, right?[/QUOTE]No. This says nothing. It is only the intended setting.
More important is the “Current transfer mode”. That should be UDMA 2 for Samsung drives.

Michael

This is what it says:

Primary IDE channel, device 0: Ultra DMA Mode 5
Primary IDE channel, device 1: N/A

Secundary IDE channel, device 0: N/A
Secundary IDE channel, device 1: Ultra DMA Mode 2

Does this mean I should change that ‘5’ into a ‘2’?

Hi,[QUOTE=Jelle;1924181]This is what it says:

Primary IDE channel, device 0: Ultra DMA Mode 5
Primary IDE channel, device 1: N/A[/quote]This is your Harddisk, running at UDMA 5. That’s okay.

Secundary IDE channel, device 0: N/A
Secundary IDE channel, device 1: Ultra DMA Mode 2
Your optical drive, but not connected in an optimal configuration.

Make sure, the jumper on the drive is set to “Master”. Then connect the drive to the END connector of the cable. Note that the “long” end of the cable belongs to the mainboard connector.

Does this mean I should change that ‘5’ into a ‘2’?
:disagree: No.

Michael

Are you saying I need to open up my laptop and start messing with the cables? :eek: gulp
I’ve never opened it up before, but I have been able to burn DVDs for over a year. Can’t there be a software solution? :slight_smile: Because I’m afraid I’ll wreck the whole thing apart if I open it up… :sad:

Regardless of the same brand of media used over the last five years the MID can always vary. Have you went into the device manager and uninstalled that drive then reboot the PC to allow the PC to install the correct drivers? Allot of times when a drive can read a DVD but not burn can be the end result of a dieing drive too even though the cd burner still works as said earlier the cd burner uses a different laser.

Will Windows install the drivers by itself, or should I go looking for my cd with the drivers on it? And aren’t they gonna conflict with the Toshiba firmware I installed?

Don’t you think it would be one hell of a coincidence if my burner started dieing the exact same day I did the reinstall of my computer? Or is that a common thing to happen?

If it really is dieing, I should probably get a new one, huh… :frowning:

[QUOTE=Jelle;1924257]Will Windows install the drivers by itself, or should I go looking for my cd with the drivers on it? And aren’t they gonna conflict with the Toshiba firmware I installed?

Don’t you think it would be one hell of a coincidence if my burner started dieing the exact same day I did the reinstall of my computer? Or is that a common thing to happen?

If it really is dieing, I should probably get a new one, huh… :([/QUOTE]

I would ensure my theory is correct but think it is. Is it a coincidence? Yes it is, funny how things can happen.

As for the uninstalling in the device manager yes windows alone will install the drivers needed. I would do this first as it is easy and free. I do have three classes this morning at college so another person will have to assist you there after this.

I had a drive and a monitor for 5 years and when I reinstalled they both went out on me and I was in the same boat so to speak too and it does suck. Laptops do run a bit hotter than a desktop and this can stress some if not all hardware when burning DVD’s to. If you fix this I would also recommend getting an external DVD writer as that won’t heat up your system so bad since it’s not inside it.

So I uninstalled the drive and rebooted. Windows reinstalled the drive, and I tried burning a DVD. Same story: Nero says the disc was succesfully burned, but neither my pc nor my dvd player can read the thing.

Anything else I can try before looking for my screwdriver?