TS-T633 + generic vs. branded OEM hardware

vbimport

Hello all - please excuse length.

I have a Samsung Q320 laptop barely a year old. The TSST T633a DVD writer (x8) seems to have packed in after only just about working until then. Fool that I am, I didnt use the warranty before it expired.

I’ve come to the conclusion it’s bricked after it started making terrible noises, refused to read various discs, refused to burn on decent blanks (Verbatim), and in some cases refused to eject (slot loading, so that was quite tricky).

Now to the point: Samsung wanted £90+vat for a replacement, so I bought the same model drive from an eBay seller, but it’s marked as coming from a Dell machine. At least, I ORDERED the same model, they’ve sent the 633c. It fits, is recognised by the BIOS, but neither Linux (my primary OS) or Windows will boot. I’m writing this from Win safe mode.

Is there any reason why a “Dell” OEM TSST drive with Dell firmware that is in all other ways identical to a generic - or “even more generic” - TSST drive should cause problems in a non-Dell machine? I mean, if the model, make, drive is the same, it IS the same, right? I could send the drive back and get a 633A as I ordered, but will it make any difference anyway? Or could I crossflash this drive with non-Dell firmware?

Secondly, if it won’t play ball can I just buy ANY, newer, better, less flakey drive? I’m long used to tearing PCs apart and adding new components, but with laptops I always have this sneaking suspicion that they’ve… DONE SOMETHING to it :confused:

Any suggestions gratefully received…

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=zaphod9660;2543232]

I have a Samsung Q320 laptop barely a year old. The TSST T633a DVD writer (x8) seems to have packed in after only just about working until then. Fool that I am, I didnt use the warranty before it expired.[/quote]That’s bad :frowning:

Now to the point: Samsung wanted £90+vat for a replacement, so I bought the same model drive from an eBay seller, but it’s marked as coming from a Dell machine. At least, I ORDERED the same model, they’ve sent the 633c. It fits, is recognised by the BIOS, but neither Linux (my primary OS) or Windows will boot. I’m writing this from Win safe mode.
I wouldn’t expect such a behaviour from a healthy drive. Even with other OEM firmware, the drive should not prevent your OS from starting properly.
Have you tried to boot a Live CD (Knoppix, Ubuntu, whatever) from that drive?

Is there any reason why a “Dell” OEM TSST drive with Dell firmware that is in all other ways identical to a generic - or “even more generic” - TSST drive should cause problems in a non-Dell machine?
No. Unless there is something defective.
I mean, if the model, make, drive is the same, it IS the same, right?
Yes, drives with the same model# are identical. The only difference is the firmware and sometimes a custom faceplate.

I could send the drive back and get a 633A as I ordered, but will it make any difference anyway? Or could I crossflash this drive with non-Dell firmware?

Send the unit back. Of course, you may try if crossflashing to another firmware solves the problem, but if not, then you might not be able to send the unit back.

Secondly, if it won’t play ball can I just buy ANY, newer, better, less flakey drive?
With the Sata drives nowadays, one source of trouble does no longer exist. The only thing preventing you from buying any drive you want might be a custom faceplate.

Michael

Thanks Michael - I read your Samsung faq and hoped you’d reply :smiley:

After a few false starts linux booted last night, so I might try rebooting a lot and testing a few discs to see if it was just a hiccup before sending it back. I just want to put the hundreds of bloody screws back in and close the thing up, tbh :rolleyes:

Do you know of any Samsung branded drive that the T633a or T633c matches for purposes of crossflashing? Like your example of the TS-L632H / SN-S082H here:

thanks,
michael

(me too, though I’m more of a micahel than mciahel :slight_smile: )

Hi,[QUOTE=zaphod9660;2543407]
After a few false starts linux booted last night, so I might try rebooting a lot and testing a few discs to see if it was just a hiccup before sending it back. [/quote]Hm.

Do you know of any Samsung branded drive that the T633a or T633c matches for purposes of crossflashing?

I [I]guess[/I], the retail equivalents are
TS-T633A --> SN-T083A
TS-T633C --> SN-T083C
but I am not perfectly sure.
Perhaps the Samsung OEM firmwares (usually SCxx) are the better option. You can normally find them on Samsungodd Korea website (link is in the FAQ :slight_smile: )

Michael