TS-L632H (Dell laptop) burning coasters

vbimport

I’ve got a new Dell Precision M6300 laptop. The internal DVD+/-RW is a TSSTcorp TS-L632H.

I’m burning DVD videos on Verbatim 8x DVD+R (MCC 003) at 8x in Nero 6.6.1.15 (the bundled Roxio software doesn’t appear to burn DVD video). This combo has served me well for a couple of years on the Benq and Pioneer drives on my desktop PCs.

The first 3 DVDs I burnt play but “break up” at the start on my Pioneer and Sharp set-top players. Not sellable. I updated the firmware from D300 to D400 from the Dell site but I’ve still got the problem.

I need to burn around 200 DVDs on this on tour between June and December to sell, so they’ve got to be right, but I really don’t want to carry an external DVD writer around with me if I can help it.

I’m going to raise this with Dell of course but I wondered what other people’s experiences are. Are my troubles typical of a flimsy thin internal DVD writer or have I simply just got a dud drive?

Here are some scans of a typical offending disc (scanned on my desktop PC)

A 2nd disc, same video project, that also has trouble playing on my set top players:

A burn from a shorter video project from when the firmware was still at D300. I’m not experienced enough to really interpret these results properly. What do these scans tell us about this drive?

Hi,

is this the very same batch you are using successfully with your other drives? The Benq scans indicate that there must be something wrong with the discs, perhaps dust or other impurities.
You might try other media like MCC004, or some Taiyo Yuden.

At least the TYG03 don’t look really bad with that drive (haven’t done a Benq scan yet) --> http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/ts-l632-similar-slim-drives-discussion-thread-241399/ (And the MCC003 I tested, were FAKE media, don’t want to waste my precious HP branded MiS for testing :bigsmile: )

Also, doing 200 discs on a laptop drive :disagree: - you should really think about an external “half height” unit.

Michael

Thanks for your reply Michael. I had missed that thread. Yes, the very same batch that have served me well for a long time. In the midst of my TS-L632H burns I have burnt a couple on my Pioneer and Benq drives and they play and scan nicely (quality 98). So it does seem to be the burner.

Other good quality discs are difficult to get in Thailand. I will try and get hold of some Taiyo Yuden. But I do think I’m going to contact Dell support and see if I can get the drive changed.

For an external “half height” unit… any recommendations?

Hi,QUOTE=Nick Hope;2037132 the very same batch that have served me well for a long time. In the midst of my TS-L632H burns I have burnt a couple on my Pioneer and Benq drives and they play and scan nicely (quality 98). So it does seem to be the burner.[/quote]I agree then.

Other good quality discs are difficult to get in Thailand. I will try and get hold of some Taiyo Yuden.
Or Verbatims 16x variety (MCC004), these are sometimes better than some 16x rated TY.
But I do think I’m going to contact Dell support and see if I can get the drive changed.
:iagree:

For an external “half height” unit… any recommendations?
I am not sure, perhaps a Liteon (if you don’t need CD-R capabilities). You might ask in the User Reviews and Comments forum please.

Michael

I’ve also got an M6300 with a TS-L632H, which has given me no end of grief.

TDK CD-R 52x GOLD it makes into coasters (6 in a row) - in the verification phase, Roxio says the files didn’t compare to the originals.

So I tried a Sony CD-R (700MB, 48x), and although Roxio thinks it burnt ok, it failed Ubuntu’s integrity check (1 error).

I did then burn a Verbatim CD-R which passed both Verbatim’s and Roxio’s integrity checks, so at least that’s something.

I’m definitely going to replace the drive with something else (like the drive in my older M65) - this lemon really does let the laptop down.

That’s interesting. Do you know if it would be possible to replace this drive with another non-Dell drive? Would it be a standard size internally? I don’t care how it looks on the outside and I really want to avoid having to travel with an external burner.

I’m assuming these are all standardised, like hard drives.

Here is what the back of it looks like:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P141314/en/connect.htm

(although it doesn’t show what the power connector looks like)

The faceplates do vary a bit; for example, the faceplate on the drive in the M65 is curved in the vertical plane.

I might try the M65 drive in the M6300. But I don’t see why you’d have to use a Dell part (provided the power connectors are the same) - this lemon Dell sourced from Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology.

Maybe the first of us to remove it could post a photo of the back to this forum.

Thanks for that.

If you go into the online firmware updates for the M6300 you can see the following firmware downloads:

[I]HLDS - Firmware
Applies to:
GSA-T21N 12.7 tray IDE DVD+/-RW

OPTIARC - Firmware
Applies to:
AD-5560A 12.7 tray IDE DVD+/-RW

Pioneer - Firmware
Applies to:
DVR-K17YA SLIM 8X DVD+/-RW

TSST - Firmware
Applies to:
TS-L632H slim 8x DVD+/-RW

TSST - Firmware
Applies to:
TS-L462D 24x Slim CDRW/DVD [/I]

So presumably all of those would fit. I wonder which one would be the most reliable, and how easy it might be to get hold of. Pioneer perhaps?

Also do you think the burner software might have an effect. I’m using Nero 6 but may try with ImgBurn.

By the way Dell customer service here in Thailand are basically non-existent. They don’t reply to emails or answer the phone. So I’m pretty much on my own even though the laptop is only a month old.

Here are the instructions for removing the drive:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/WSM6300/en/UG/parts.htm#wp1161605

I can’t take mine out right now (the computer is busy), but if its anything like the one in the M65 (which I have taken out), its a standard drive screwed into a proprietary caddy.

It should be easy enough to unscrew the drive from the caddy, and put another one in. I’d be looking on the net to find the most reliable - not necessarily one of those others which Dell uses (though if these is a match, so much the better!).

Hi,

if you don’t mind about warranty, then you might try Samsung retail firmware.
Dell TS-L632H can be crossflashed to SN-S082H SB01 firmware.

Michael

Thanks for the Michael. Could it be flashed back again afterwards?

The problems I was getting were all using Nero 6.6.1.15 which admittedly is rather old now.

I just did 3 burns with the free ImgBurn 2.4.1 and they are all good so far. Seems like this drive doesn’t like that version of Nero.

Maybe you could try ImgBurn jharrop?

oh, and what’s the difference between the CSEL=low and CSEL=high versions of that Samsung firmware? Which to try?

[quote=Nick Hope;2052163]oh, and what’s the difference between the CSEL=low and CSEL=high versions of that Samsung firmware? Which to try?[/quote]CSEL=High and CSEL=Low denote drives that are configured as master or slave (there are no jumpers, so the Master/Slave setting is in the firmware).
Firmware [B]SB01[/B] does work, since it has the correct settings (Master).
Do not even try SH01 since this will render your drive useless.

And of course you can flash back to Dell OEM firmware using the method.

Michael

Is there any evidence that you know of that this firmware might be an improvement over the Dell firmware, which is pretty recent (April '08)?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2052210]CSEL=High and CSEL=Low denote drives that are configured as master or slave (there are no [B]jumpers[/B], so the Master/Slave setting is in the firmware).
[B]Firmware SB01 does work, since it has the correct settings (Master)[/B].
Do not even try SH01 since this will render your drive useless…
Michael[/QUOTE]First of all, this post is not aimed at [I]mciahel[/I] aka Michael. :flower:

But some of the forums I’m visiting tells just the opposite.
As said, I’m just a novice when it comes to Samsung slimdrives and their firmwares. So please don’t take this post as granted. :wink:

And ofcourse, I can’t understand why word “jumpers” ever been posted when it comes to slimdrives… :confused:

Edit. BTW [I]Nick Hope[/I] hold your horses for a while. :cool:

Hi,[quote=Nick Hope;2052243]Is there any evidence that you know of that this firmware might be an improvement over the Dell firmware, which is pretty recent (April '08)?[/quote]I tried [I]one [/I]disc (scanned with a Liteon DVDRW) and didn’t see much difference. Real world behaviour might be different, but I have no proof for this.

But since you discovered that your results have noticeably improved with Imgburn, then there might be indeed some software issue :confused: I’d stick then with Imgburn.

Michael

[quote=pinto2;2052244]First of all, this post is not aimed at [I]mciahel[/I] aka Michael. :flower:[/quote]Shall I believe that?

But some of the forums I’m visiting tells just the opposite.
As said, I’m just a novice when it comes to Samsung slimdrives and their firmwares. So please don’t take this post as granted. :wink:
The exact translation CSEL mode <–> Master/Slave can be read on the firmware download site (IE only, unless you can read Korean). I did not write an equation in my first post.

And ofcourse, I can’t understand why word “jumpers” ever been posted when it comes to slimdrives… :confused:
No idea? Really not? Never heard of the big problems after having installed a slim drive that came with wrong Master/Slave/CS configuration? Easily solvable with desktop units, but not with those jumperless slim drives.

Edit. BTW [I]Nick Hope[/I] hold your horses for a while. :cool:
Dell TS-L632H can be crossflashed to SN-S082H [B]SB[/B]01 firmware. Proven and verified.
SN-S082H with [B]SB[/B]xx firmware can be crossflashed to Dell TS-L632H firmware. Proven and verified also.

Michael

Thanks for the info Nick and mciahel. I’ve been using Roxio thus far.

I’ve just installed the Dell D400 firmware (I was previously on D300), so I’ll see how that goes.

It did successfully burn first try an Ubuntu ISO to a Sony CD-R (Ubuntu’s integrity check had reported the previous attempt using D300 had an error), so that augers well. (I had to use ide=nodma to complete the install, but that’s a different issue)