TS-L632H and similar slim drives discussion thread

vbimport

Hi,

since I am now a proud owner of a TS-L632H, I thought it would ba a good idea to have a “scans and discussion” thread about this drives family here.

Since this drive comes in different flavours, depending on the OEM (Dell, Toshiba, Samsung etc.) it is not only interesting how good the burn quality is, but also the feature set reported by Nero Info Tool, ImgBurn etc.

Please post only information and scans in this thread. In case of trouble with your drive, do a search first, and post in the thread you found (if it is related to your problem) or start a new one if your search was not successful. “I have troubles”-posts in this very thread will be deleted without notification.

Well, let’s start after the introduction above;)

My drive is part of a Dell notebook and came with D300 firmware, which is the latest at the moment.
The drive supports CD media at 24x max and DVD media at 8x. Detailled specs can be found here: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P141314/en/spec.htm

Nero Info Tool 5 reports this:

DVD-RAM support is totally removed (the drive can’t even read DVD-RAM discs) although the information about supported DVD-RAM discs is still present in firmware.

EDIT: DVD-RAM support is enabled with firmware D400, released by Dell on April 1st, 2008 :slight_smile:

But at least the firmware seems to be supported by MCSE, including the RPC1 patch :wink:

Also, Nero InfoTool reports CD-Text writing as not supported :eek:
ImgBurn disagrees about the CD-Text capabilities of this drive.
EDIT: [U]CD Text writing works[/U], so this is a InfoTool bug.

I am testing at the moment, so we’ll see who is right there;)

After having edited the registry, scanning is possible:)
The following disc is a Ricoh Ultra Speed branded RICOHJPN R03 (MII)

The scan results of my USB connected Liteon SHM-165P6S look like this:

Please note that - due to the USB connection - not all errors are gathered, so the scans made with that drive are “too optimistic”

Michael thank you,nice,and not surprising. I use Nero Tools less and less anymore.

TS-L632H D300 (Dell)
gigatain branded MCC003 (possibly fake MID)
burn speed 8x

TS-L632H D300 (Dell)
Verbatim branded TYG03
burn speed 8x

I am testing at the moment, so we’ll see who is right there
At the moment it seems as if Nero InfoTool were right. No CD Text. Will do the final test tomorrow - my car stereo supports CD Text.

Apparently I had some media issue (old, crappy 4x CD-RW disc) - at the moment it looks as if CD-Text is working. Will have to do another test this evening.
EDIT: CD Text writing works.

Also, the drive supports application software controlled bitsetting. :slight_smile:
EDIT2: … but not with Dell OEM firmware :frowning:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2021323]TS-L632H D300 (Dell)
gigatain branded MCC003 (possibly fake MID)
burn speed 8x[/QUOTE]

Poor media?

Hi,[quote=mtosev;2022869]Poor media?[/quote]:iagree: Extremely poor media.:Z

Geniune MCC003 under Verbatim or HP brand is among the best media you can get. :iagree:
I doubt, these Gigatain are genuine. That’s why I wrote “possibly fake MID” in the post you quoted.

Michael

Some good news:

Dell seem to have read my rants about disabling DVD-RAM support.
On 01-04-2008 (!, no April joke), they released firmware D400, which officially enables DVD-RAM reading and writing.

I say: “Thank You” to Dell, this is highly appreciated :bow:
Big Thumbs Up :slight_smile:

There’s also a SC04 firmware released on 25/03/08 but it only appears in the Korean section of Samsung’s website and not the English section.

Hi,[quote=mankmeister;2032200]There’s also a SC04 firmware released on 25/03/08 but it only appears in the Korean section of Samsung’s website and not the English section.[/quote]Thanks, I have seen that. But since I don’t know how the SC firmwares are configured (Master/Slave/CS) I did not want to try a crossflash :wink:

Michael

Successfully crossflashed to SN-S082H SB01 firmware.
Not very much improved, at least with the Ricohjpn R03 MiI:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2052187]Successfully crossflashed to SN-S082H SB01 firmware.
Not very much improved, at least with the Ricohjpn R03 MiI:[/QUOTE]Now your getting your freak on Michael :flower:

Hello, I have a LS-632H in my sager NP5973 but my firmware is TMC0 and i didn’t find anything on net about it. It is possible to flash somehow with another firmware? thanks

Hi and Welcome![quote=andyro78;2077468]Hello, I have a LS-632H in my sager NP5973 but my firmware is TMC0 and i didn’t find anything on net about it.[/quote]Quite normal for notebook drives.

It is possible to flash somehow with another firmware? thanks
Yes, it is. Same hardware as Samsung SN-S082H. There are two firmwares existing, one for the drive in “master” configuration, and one for the drive as “slave”. Find out how your drive is configured in your own laptop at first. Flashing the wrong firmware renders your drive useless (it can be revived in a desktop computer with additional hardware).

Also, be aware that crossflashing will void your warranty, possibly even the warranty of your entire notebook. So I would recommend crossflashing only, if there is an issue with your drive, that is resolved with other OEM or retail firmware, and if the manufacturer isn’t willing to help (put him on your “not buy in future” list), or if you don’t mind about warranty anyway.

Michael

Thanks man, I’ll try crossflashing this week and i’ll post the results. Hope it will work :slight_smile:

I just got a new laptop a couple of days ago, and it looks like this is the drive that I got. There’s a D500 firmware posted on Dell’s website (edit: I see that’s already announced), but I haven’t tried it yet. So… this drive uses a MediaTek chipset, right?

Edit 2: Do Samsung drives store calibration data or other drive-specific data outside of the firmware? I know that LiteOn drives can get wonky with burns sometimes and I’d need to restore the EEPROM. Is this something that I have to look out for with Samsung drives (your FAQ didn’t say anything about this), and if so, is there a tool for this (I’m assuming no?)

Hi,quote=kliu0x52;2083690 So… this drive uses a MediaTek chipset, right?[/quote]correct.

Do Samsung drives store calibration data or other drive-specific data outside of the firmware?
No idea. I haven’t heard of a separated EEPROM, that can be backed up (and restored) as with Liteon drives. So there is no such tool available. Also, there is no tool to backup the drive’s firmware. At least, such is not publicly available.

(your FAQ didn’t say anything about this)
Seems, I’ll have to add this information then. Thanks for the heads-up :slight_smile:

Michael

I’ve got a TS-L632H and I’d like to change the “booktype” to DVD-ROM for DVD+R and DVD+R DL disks to improve compatibility with older DVD players. Unfortunately, it looks like the normal TSST firmware doesn’t support bitsetting.

Does anyone know: if I were to crossflash this drive to a Samsung TS-L632, would that give me bitsetting capability?

btw, it’s a Dell OEM model; currently using the the latest D500 firmware from Dell.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

JohnB

As mentioned in an earlier post, it looks like there are two versions of the SN-S082H fimware - depending on whether the drive is set as Master or Slave. Confusingly, the Samsung site lists the two different firmware versions depending on the [B]Cable Select[/B] setting (“CSEL=High” and “CSEL=Low”).

Is there an easy way to determine how my drive is configured, and which firmware version to use?

thanks,
JohnB