TS-H552U woes

So it all started when the dvd rom tray wouldn’t open up, but the green light on the front was always on/
I tried powering down and opening it with the emergency release hole, but I got no reaction whatsoever.

So then I tried updating the firmware. I used the version checker and it had version as BOOT and OEM as some kind of gibberish symbol. So I went on ahead and updated it with the US09 firmware since it was the newest one. Afterwards, it auto-rebooted and the drive tray was working once again…

But not so fast… now it can’t read any disc at all. Even with no disc in the tray, it would let me go into the dvd drive without giving me an “insert disc first” msg.

So now I’m stuck. I don’t have any clue what could be wrong with this dvd drive. So does anyone have any suggestions? Also, is there anyway to remove firmware or get BOOT as the version once you’ve flashed with newer firmware? Note I’ve never checked what firmware it was using before it seemingly broke so I don’t know what it was originally.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Try unistalling this drive in the device manager. Unistalling the driver to the optical drive will correct any corrupted settings re: your Samsung. Then restart computer, then windows will reinstall it automatically. Hope this helps.

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=silent111;1954724
So then I tried updating the firmware. I used the version checker and it had version as BOOT and OEM as some kind of gibberish symbol. [/quote]If the firware version is something with “BOOT”, then there is something wrong, possibly after a bad flash. It’s a kind of “safe mode” allowing to re-flash the drive with proper firmware.

But not so fast… now it can’t read any disc at all. Even with no disc in the tray, it would let me go into the dvd drive without giving me an “insert disc first” msg.
At first, get some bootable disc like Knoppix, Kanotix, Ultimate Boot CD or even a Windows install CD and check if you can boot from the drive. This method will sort out any Windows related issue.
Also, check device manager if there are any errors displayed.

So now I’m stuck. I don’t have any clue what could be wrong with this dvd drive. So does anyone have any suggestions?
Please follow the instructions given in this troubleshooting article: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-my-optical-drive-doesnt-recognize-discs-like-they-should-83984/

Also, is there anyway to remove firmware or get BOOT as the version once you’ve flashed with newer firmware?
You don’t want to have “BOOT” in the firmware identification string;)

Michael

Thanks for the tips guys. I’ll try it out first chance I get!

Yep, so I tried the suggestions but I get no response from my samsung. I even tried taking the drive out and putting it in a different computer, but still nothing.
It almost acts like I have media in the drive but it’s always 0MB/0MB even if I have the drive open. I never get the “insert disc first” message. Well I get that message when I click on it right after reinstalling, then the drive disappears from my computer for a few seconds and reappears and doesn’t work.

So are the chances high that this is busted for good? Hardware related problem?

[QUOTE=silent111;1955641]Yep, so I tried the suggestions but I get no response from my samsung. I even tried taking the drive out and putting it in a different computer, but still nothing.
[B]It almost acts like I have media in the drive but it’s always 0MB/0MB even if I have the drive open.[/B] I never get the “insert disc first” message. Well I get that message when I click on it right after reinstalling, then the drive disappears from my computer for a few seconds and reappears and doesn’t work.

So are the chances high that this is busted for good? Hardware related problem?[/QUOTE]

What and who shows you that info?

Please use a reliable tool like Nero cd dvd speed…

[QUOTE=silent111;1954724]… Note I’ve never checked what firmware it was using before it seemingly broke so I don’t know what it was originally…[/QUOTE]Check drives label to start with. Post us the drive model, version, firmware, aso as stated on label. :flower:

BTW, when drive is wronflashed or in boot mode no tool in world will tell you anything useful. :wink:

OK, so I tried Nero CD/DVD speed and it doesn’t let me run it since there is “No disc inserted or drive is not ready”

And I checked the label on the DVD drive again and it says it was originally F/W US05. So I tried flashing the US05 firmware from the samsung website, but still nothing.

So currently, this is what I got:

Try to flash your drive on another computer/controller.

Nothing.

Nero InfoTool 2.27

Drive Information

Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552U
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : US06
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : TS-H552UFirmware
Vendor Specific : 0418
Drive Letter : G:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 48 X
Write Speed : 40 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : No
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : None
Changes User : 7
Changes Vendor : 6

Disc Information (G:)

Type : - no disc inserted -