TS-H552U is going crazy

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung TS-H552U. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve had this DVD burner for probably 5 years now, and it has only started acting up recently. I’ve upgraded the system a little recently, but probelms on the DVD started months later (half a year at least).

Anywho, on to the problem. At first one time i went to burn a cd, and i heard the drive spinning up to top speed, then stopping, it did that for the whole burn process. In the end it turned out fine, and the cd worked, but strange stuff still happened. Every now and then, i hear the drive spin up to max with no cd or anything in it, and it won’t stop till i hit eject. The other day, it crossed the line and wouldn’t spit out my favorite cd after ripping to the hard drive. I hit eject and it wouldn’t come out, just kept spinning it at max speed. Since i was afraid of damage to the cd, i hit reset, then it let me eject it.

It never did anything like this before, was completely reliable. Is this a sign the things is on its way out? I have the most recent firmware last time i checked, and my system is otherwise without major problems. I’m planning on reinstalling xp soon, its been over 2 years and stuff is getting slow, plus i’m hoping not having potentially conflicting drivers from when i put in a video card solving this problem, and my only other problem of not being able to go to standby.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, any reason why the standby button is greyed out and all the options for standby/hibernation in power settings aren’t there.

Hi,[QUOTE=ryan55;2277440]I’ve had this DVD burner for probably 5 years now, and it has only started acting up recently. (…)
It never did anything like this before, was completely reliable. Is this a sign the things is on its way out?[/quote]seems so. Is there an opportunity to try the drive with another computer?

Oh yeah, that reminds me, any reason why the standby button is greyed out and all the options for standby/hibernation in power settings aren’t there.
Look here --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907477

Michael