Trying to upgrade my current system

vbimport

i want to upgrade my current system so i hope i can get a few opinions. I know how to put the parts together and make them work but i have not built a system in some years. I currently have an athlon 64 3200+ with 3gb of ram,. I already have 2 sata hd, and sata dvd burner to reuse. I also have a pci tv tuner card that i want to use. I am looking at the Phenomâ„¢ II X4 965 Black Edition processor from microcenter http://www.microcenter.com/specia...PROMO.html and the asus board. Is this a good upgrade for the price? i am also looking at this memory to go with it. http://www.microcenter.com/single...id=0317832

i read about getting a dual core and unlocking/overclocking it but i dont know anything about that and i just want a good system that will do basic computing and some light video editing. I have a microcenter close by so picking up at bm is fine.
Thanks in advance for any input. I know there is always the intel vs amd debate. I really wanted to spend around $150 but if i have to go up to $200 i will to get a better system in the end.

For what your doing I would reccomend the M4A78LT-M LE motherboard and the Athlon X4 640 CPU for $105. The motherboard is better than the one you were looking at and this x4 cpu is plenty fast for what you want to do.

The links you posted are bad, I don’t know what ram you were looking at.

I am trying to learn about computer hardware, what makes that board better than the asus that come witht the phenom? I just want to get the fastest chip i can afford so it will last me for a while.

The chipset on the ASUS M4N68T-M is very old. The ASUS M4A78LT-M LE has the 780L which is much more recent, the board has DVI output, 6 sata ports instead of 4. Those boards are very similar layout wise but the ASUS M4A78LT-M LE is better and worth the $10 over the other board.

ok thanks, that makes sense. would the mother board you mentioned work with the 955 phenom chip? Would i even notice a difference if i stepped down to the slower chip?

No that board won’t work with the 965 that you want.

The combos are HERE

If you really want the 965 then go with the original combo you were looking at: 965 with M4N68T-M V2 for $150 it should be good.

could you reccomend some good memory to go with the 965 setup? i would kinda like to stay at microcenter since i will be getting the other stuff there. Is 4gb ram enough or should i get more?

also, would i be better off going to one of the boards that are further down on the list? if i had to spend an extra $50 to get a much better board i would still do that since it seems memory is not that expensive.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2575966]No that board won’t work with the 965 that you want.

The combos are HERE

If you really want the 965 then go with the original combo you were looking at: 965 with M4N68T-M V2 for $150 it should be good.[/QUOTE]

Since you are looking at the MC combos I suggest considering this motherboard and CPU bundle for $139. My son got this for Christmas along some DDR1600 memory. Unlocking the other two cores was simple and it overclocked to 4.0 ghz. The computer is a screamer for how little it cost.

I would recommend this memory:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0332937

For what your using you PC for you won’t see any difference with fast memory or more expensive motherboard.

This ram is a good buy: Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC-10666) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit

[QUOTE=eric93se;2576326]For what your using you PC for you won’t see any difference with fast memory or more expensive motherboard.

This ram is a good buy: Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC-10666) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit[/QUOTE]

thanks a bunch. i am going to try to make a trip to microcenter and pick this stuff up this coming weekend.