Trying to install Nero

I recently installed a Liteon 48X to replace my older Teac 24X. I was using Easy CD Creator Deluxe(4.0) but thought to try Nero which came with the Drive. I uninstalled ‘Easy’ but Nero still doesn’t install; when I try I just receive a series of clicks and and a message that ‘the install wizard was interrupted’ and ‘no system changes were made’ and to run the install again.

Any ideas what’s going on? I tried removing certain VxD’s the manual said to try removing but that utterly crashed my system and I had to put them back.

I wonder if this aggravation is worth it. Which is the better package, Easy CD Creator or Nero?

Another thread mentioned that DCD doesn’t recognize Liteon. Will there be problems if I use Easy CD with it?

Any help appreciated.

Originally posted by srwike
when I try I just receive a series of clicks and and a message that ‘the install wizard was interrupted’ and ‘no system changes were made’ and to run the install again.

You were clicking on next without noticing the questions (I hope you didn’t do that)??? Have you tried renaming these files?:
Windows\System\Iosubsys:
Atapchng.bak
Necatapi.bak
Scsi1hlp.bak
Torisan3.bak
Even if you renamed these files you won’t get anyhting out of it, since the problem is that Nero doesn’t installs, and not that is allready installed and it doesn’t goes along with EZCD or DCD!

The install window starts and after the rapid ‘clicks’ it says it is finished installing, but the message on the form window is that it’s not installed and was interrupted.

I tried renaming those files but to no effect.

Is it that Nero is so lame that it can’t tolerate the presence (or former presence) of any other CD burning software? Interesting, bacause both Easy CD Creator and CloneCD were installed and working (harmoniously), along with several other’s I tried and uninstalled in the past.

All other CD burning software has been removed.

If I do get it installed does this mean I will not be able to use CloneCD (which is good for copying games) as long as Nero is installed?

Clonecd is fine with nero. Compatibility problems often arise, however, between nero and ezcd, particularly if cirectcd is also installed.

I also have Onstream Echo backup software installed. Could this be causing a problem? If so, what driver would be at issue.

This is a list of what’s in my IOSUBSYS:
VXDs -
acbhlpr, apix, audiofs, bsudf, cdfs, cdr4vsd, cdralvsd, cdrbsvsd, cdtsd, cdvsd, digimax, disktsd, diskvsd, drvspacx, drvwcdb,
drvwppqt, drvwq117, pticache, pu66vsd, smartvds, udfreadr, vatapi, voltrack.
There’s also bigmem.drv, ultra,mpd and some pdr’s.

I’m having the exact same problem Majurami was having with his install (see ‘Nero installation problem’ thread). Following his lead I downloaded and installed the latest demo version and it installed cleanly. I then uninstalled it and tried the OEM install again with no luck.
It would appear then that the problem is not with conflicting drivers but with the OEM install version itself.
Any ideas?
I notified Nero but I don’t expect a quick response. However I would like to begin burning again one of these days :frowning:

Originally posted by srwike
Is it that Nero is so lame that it can’t tolerate the presence of any other CD burning software?

EZCD is your problem…the fact is, its shit…and 1000’s of people will tell you the same thing. Compatability problems between nero and Roxio have improved dramatically, but obviously not enough.

I dont have a solution for your problem, as i dont use Roxio products. But i will defend Nero, a well thought out, and well presented program.

If it were me, and i knew that roxio software had been on my systerm…i would format the PC and re-install everything (apart from EZCD of course)

Thanks for the feedback. I had considered reinstalling my OS but it’s a lot of work; numerous games, utilities, apps and all with patches.
Besides, the fact that the latest Nero demo installed cleanly would seem to indicate that the now uninstalled EZCD isn’t the issue.

I didn’t mean to step on the toes of Nero lovers - I never used the product so I can’t honestly judge it. It’s frustrating not being able to install and that didn’t make a good first impression.

I had the same error message on my Win98 machine. I had no other CD software installed. I contacted Lite-On and they gave me a phone # for Nero. (not toll free!) Screw that!, so I copied the Nero CD to my hard-drive, rebooted into Safe mode and ran the install from there. It worked real slick. I just recently applied the 5.9 patch & it’s still working just fine.

Originally posted by RedHatted
[B]

Have you tried renaming these files?:
Atapchng.bak
Necatapi.bak
Scsi1hlp.bak
Torisan3.bak[/B]
There is a software convention for renaming files, particularly .VXDs, as .VX_ (underscore). I’m just looking up the website again now if anyone’ interested. Most burning apps can recognise a .VX_ as a .VXD but will do nothing except note that it’s there. Feurio! is programmed to recognise .VX_ files for example.

.bak is used by Lotus and other ‘office’ suites
.— is used by MS for system files (so it can find them again); they also use .OLD for logs
.syd is used by Symantec
.NI & ~~ is used by NT, Win2K & XP

as examples

so I copied the Nero CD to my hard-drive, rebooted into Safe mode and ran the install from there. It worked real slick. I just recently applied the 5.9 patch & it’s still working just fine.

Brilliant idea! I did the same thing with my Windows 98SE CD but never thought to do that with Nero.
In any case Nero just sent me a serial key to unlock the demo, so apparently they recognize the problems with the OEM install.

As for renaming VxDs, I created a sub folder in the IOSUBSYS and just moved the selected files into it rather than renaming them. My assumption was the registry would only point to the original path for them and ignore other locations.

Thanks to all for your help. This site is better than any tech support!

Run regedit, do a search for ezcd, delete all the it comes up with, then install Nero. Problem solved…Jerry

Hi folks, this has probably been covered elsewhere but, I had the same Nero install problem and it was easily fixed by following the official Nero FAQ which says …

[B]Nero Installation does not finish, I get the message: Installation wizard interrupted. Your system has not been modified. Run the setup at another time.[/B]

This issue could be caused by a compatibility problem between Nero and the Windows service “Automatic Updates”. Enable this service when installing Nero 8.
Please follow the steps below:
Click “Start” in the Windows start menu.
Click the “Run” command.
The window “Run” will open.
Enter “services.msc” in the “Open” text field and click the “OK” button.
The “Services” window will open.
Doubleclick the “Automatic Updates” entry.
The “Automatic Updates Properties” window will open.
In the drop down menu under “Startup Type” select the option “Manual”.
Confirm this change with Apply and OK.
Start the installation of Nero 8 again.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Welcome JedOi, Did you realize you posted on a 5 year old thread?

Hi [B]tgidday[/B] and thanks for the welcome …

ROFLMAO … nope, I didn’t realize it was such an old thread till it was too late, many apologies :doh:

I was having trouble with installing Nero 8, googled for solutions, found this thread, saw some other folks with the same problem and got all over-zealous trying to help out LOL …

Still, never mind, it might still help someone even though the thread was probably started around the time of Nero v1 … just goes to show they haven’t improved Nero very much in 5 years :bigsmile:

Catch you around in some more up-to-date threads perhaps :wink:

L8rz.

Think your right about nero new versions old problems.