Trying to get some help with a little overclock on cpu

Basically I am not trying to get crazy here but am trying to pump my cpu up a little bit (Stability most important to me) well I guess probably to everyone/anyone

My computer specs are

Asus Rampage formula
E8500 @ 3.14/1.128v-(C0 stepping :frowning: :confused: I think I wanted E0 but couldn’t find) (3173mhz real temp) Stock Intel says can go 1.3625v
4870 @ 850/935
4Gb PC2/8500/1066-2.02v Corsair Dominator @ 1066 (Stock)
700w ocz gameextreme
Full atx tower

I see a lot of people getting 4.1/4.2 GHz with PC2/6400 mem so I guess I would like to maybe hit 3.6/3.8 stable if possible

Thanks everyone

It’s too bad that intel locks multiplter if not anyone could oc but I guess they have to make their money

Cooling?
First rule of overclocking, make sure you have adequate cooling.
You are not likely to hit those target temperatures with stock cooling.

**Official e8400/e8500 Retail OC Thread

Tools you will need (google the latest versions)
Memtest86+ (make a bootable floppy or CD)
Prime95
CpuZ
Coretemp

To begin, Pushing ram to its highest speed does not result in more performance, so its better to underclock the RAM which will allow for more head room when OC’ing. So using the FSB/DRAM multipliers in the MB bios, change them until the memory is running at 800MHZ or below. You can keep the RAM voltages and timmings the same as long as they have been confirmed to be stable when tested with Memtest. So now you know that you can OC your FSB up to the point that your ram has reached 1066 (what you’ve been previously running them at, but going that high is not necessary).

Heres what you can look foward to if you do it right. Just remember heat is the killer. Also these new boards dont like the RAM voltages pushed beyond 1.65 V. You may experience problems if you go over that. Its not how fast you can push your ram that counts…Its the amount you can stick in there that does the trick. Try bumping up your FSB in small increments. :iagree:

Bushwacker, what cooling are you using? And how hot does it get under load.

jcusimano2, if you didn’t get an aftermarket cooler, 3.6Ghz should still be do-able. The limit is heat, as mentioned already.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2135754]Bushwacker, what cooling are you using? And how hot does it get under load.
[/QUOTE]

Water cooled.

http://jnltechspot.com/gaming_rig.htm

You can see my system specs if you click on the link in my sig. They are a bit dated but pretty close. As far as sys temp…It runs between 39c to 41c when playing Crysis for about an hour or so.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2135754]Bushwacker, what cooling are you using? And how hot does it get under load.

jcusimano2, if you didn’t get an aftermarket cooler, 3.6Ghz should still be do-able. The limit is heat, as mentioned already.[/QUOTE]

Sorry guys I didn't mean to staret this thread and run apologise I got caught up with fine tuning my vga ok Radeon visiontek 4870 (825-1100) 8 hours 3Dmark06 nonstop loop & 6 hours rthdribl non stop so stable so I'm back

Thanks again everyone

Eric
yes aftermarket I forgot name off top of my head but it is very tall crome fins with 4 copper pipes run through middle and 120mm pwm fan I replaced it with a panaflo pwm the damn Hs is so takk it goes all the way to the door of my case!! and what is awesome the fan goes on the front to where it blows through the heatsink and straight into my rear fan and oit is lighned up exactly!! I couldn’t asked for a better cpu cooler setup.

so eric what should I lower my ram to?? & how far should I raise my fsb?? should I leave fsb frequency (Not regular fsb but frequency :confused:) to??auto choices are 450/333etc is it ok to go to (right now 333) 334, 335, 336 like that maybe 340, 355, 375, like that?? and in this mix what about ram?? it has speeds OI can choose from like 667 800 1111 1066 1200 1333 and a ton more right now my ram is at 2.00v!! on auto it was on 2.28 seriously and after I saw the recommended voltage for my ram I got freaked out and lowered it by hand to 2.00v the reason I didn’t go lower is because I already dropped it from 2.28 to 2.00 I already thought that was a lot. & why did my mobo auto my Dram voltage so high??

BTW

14620points in 3DMark06!!! no ram or cpu oc only vga  :)

sorry I don’t usually brag but my old machine got me 1200 points yes you read that right 4 digits :bigsmile: 1200 seriously HD 2400 pci not express oc’d from 525/400 to 432/796 and don’t ask me how I got my hd2400 pci to oc from core 525 to 796 cause I don’t know it just did

I don’t think 3dmark06 does new GPU’s justice, since my 8800gt gets about 13000 with little gpu OC and a good amount of cpu OC. Your frame rates will be way higher, so 3dmark is a joke now, and when OC’ing it won’t show you the real frame rate increases.

You have to lower the speed of your ram first. You need to DL the tools as well. I don’t know what options are in your Bios but you have to change the fsb/dram ratio and get the ram around 800Mhz or below. You should also disable “C1E” and “EIST” power saving modes while OC’ing, usually you can turn them back on after confirming everything is stable. Then you can raise the FSB in increments of about 10 and check stability with Prime95, and watch the temps on Coretemp.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2136400]I don’t think 3dmark06 does new GPU’s justice, since my 8800gt gets about 13000 with little gpu OC and a good amount of cpu OC. Your frame rates will be way higher, so 3dmark is a joke now, and when OC’ing it won’t show you the real frame rate increases.

You have to lower the speed of your ram first. You need to DL the tools as well. I don’t know what options are in your Bios but you have to change the fsb/dram ratio and get the ram around 800Mhz or below. You should also disable “C1E” and “EIST” power saving modes while OC’ing, usually you can turn them back on after confirming everything is stable. Then you can raise the FSB in increments of about 10 and check stability with Prime95, and watch the temps on Coretemp.[/QUOTE]

Ok well I don’t understand the ratio thing at all I have so many setting it is crazy but I have rerad a lot of posts of people with my board and they said that using auto on voltages the board will increase as necessary but we will see at stock I have 333 x 9.5 with ram at 1066 stock if I raise my fsb to 400 and lower my multiplier to 8.5 I get 3400 and can still choose 1066 for my ram any other figures and I have to oc my ram so basically with an fsb of 400 or 500 which I know is insane right now I can keep my ram at 1066 I did try a ram multiple of 1102 and windows still booted but with ram at 1200 no go I know these are big jumps so that is why I lower my multiplier to 8.5 so I really hate to lower my ram from it’s stock of 1066 to 800 unless I have to but basically if I keep my ram at 1066 or maybe just a little bit higher and just mess with the fsb & multiplier then am I really ocing anything else including ram?? if not then cool right just try to keep multiples that allow me to set my ram at 1066 right??

But I do not see a ratio as you say even though I have heard the concept many times. Do you think my mobo adjusts it automatically?? I do have (FSB STRAP TO NORTH BRIDGE)?? but settings are only xxx, 266, 333, 400 but I can set fsb to whatever as well as pcie frequency which I leave at 100. I saw no gains by raising it only instability. I have prime 95, memtest, memtest 86, cpu burn in, & orthos, but unless you or someone tells me to use otherwise I’ll just use prime 95 & memtest 86. Have you ever heard of cpu burn in?

BTW just to let you knoiw of my booting capabilities if that means anything I did get a little gutsy and try an fsb of 400 x 9.5 with ram at 1066 which is cpu 3800 and windows did boot ok and my temps only went up like 3-5c ( know that was stupid so I rebooted and went back to 400 8.5 & again I haven’t touched volts except my ram which I have at 2.00v because the mobo defaults to 2.28 and I thought that was kind of insane without an oc which I realize it is kind of pointless to oc ram unless you have to a little bit right??

Untill I hear otherwise I'm going to perform an 8 hour test of 95 with 400x8.5 3400  ram 1066

Thanks again

List ALL of the options under these settings in the jpg. You have to understand you memory will not support very high speeds YOU MUST UNDER CLOCK IT, THEN OVERCLOCKING THE CPU WILL ALSO OVER CLOCK THE MEMORY BACK UP TO AROUND 1066 AUTOMATICALLY. Anything “auto” is for noobies, and for a stable OC you should maually set timmings and voltages and speeds.

Wow where did you get this that is my bios?!?!

@ eric so should every single thing be set to what I set it to or is it ok to have “Some” things on auto?? like “Some” voltages?? & what about fsb strap to north bridge

Most memory timmings will be auto, but the main memory timmings should be set.

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;2137564]Wow where did you get this that is my bios?!?![/QUOTE]

I’ve infultrated the governments video survallence of your house. STOP PLAYING WITH YOURSELF! :eek:

Well I am at 425 x 9.5 = 4037Mhz and ran orthos all night long like 10 or 12 hours (I sleep a long time) and then prime 95 on both cores for about 6 no errors the only voltages I messed with are cpu = 1.28975 this is the lowest I could go withput errors well actually I could go like one lower but I don’t like cutting it that close.and dram = 2.02v and cpu pLL 1.62v I had a hard deciding between 3.8 & 4.01 because of heat but I have 54c-55c idle & 71c full 7-10 hour orthos load otherwise normal load 65c-67c my ram is at 1066 and I ran a full memtest86 on it without error so basically I am staying at cpu 4037 & stock ram & my 4870 790/925 oh yeah I also hit 16266 on 3dmark seriously

Ok I’m stupid I don’t know how to link my 3dmark score to my sig it just goes to some stupid login page

[QUOTE=eric93se;2137701]Most memory timmings will be auto, but the main memory timmings should be set.[/QUOTE]

well the main ones are 5-5-5-15 but the other 20 are on auto :bigsmile: