Trying to Fix my Son`s Lenovo Laptop (virus)

vbimport

My 22year old son home from university for 2 days Asked me to look at his laptop laptop Windowa 8
He apparently got avirus and used some antivirus thing to remove files and now pc restarts and message system32 file missing

Im doing a windows 8 refresh/repair on his laptop ,will see what happens when finished.

he said he had hundreds of viruses from TPB I gave him Avast the last time he was home.

After the repair,empty his system restore points,or the virus will be back in no time…
What other security programs he has installed besides Avast???

Thanks
I see that he has Macfee but I think it is a trial that came with the laptop.

I did check the system restore points first but all were recent recent .
He said it was going on for over a month.Laptop is new he only got it a few months ago .

I have never had a virus so this is all new to me.

So I made him uninstall Macfee.
The Avast and malwarebytes I gave him he dident install.
Tried to Explain CCleaner wont get rid of viruses.

Restarted lappy big error thingy in red came up he tried to read it 2Quick
Working all programs intact (varsityWork)

lost all his games that were on a partician (GOOD)

Now I am running Windows Defender Full scan.

The reason I mentioned emptioning system restore points,is because virii can hide themselves inside those,so even if his system is in a clean state now,it can be infected over and over again…
Malwarebytes Pro instead of free is also a consideration,as you can make it run in real time,and it can protect against infected websites…
Most malware comes through infected downloads and browser exploits.
For the browser exploits,you can try the free version of Malwarebytes AntiExploit,for infected downloads I can recommend other programs,but the best 1,and totally free,is common sense…:wink:

Lucky all he lost were the games. Probably where he got the virus in the first place.
You should make sure that Avast & Malwarebytes gets installed.
Also inform your son that he should do the right click scans (context menu) that both of those have on any file he downloads.
I don’t have Malwarebytes AntiExploit but I’m going to take a look at it as I’ve been satisfied with the Malwarebytes free I use.
There is another antivirus software that I have & usually have disabled so I don’t have conflicts. I just run it when I suspect I might have a problem & then from safe mode.
Emsisoft Anti-Malware also a free version. They also have a program Emsisoft Emergency Kit this can be installed on a Flash drive & used outside of Windows from a command prompt. You need the install/repair Windows disc so you can open a command prompt. I don’t have Windows8 so I can’t be sure it works on it.
I agree with roadworker on deleting all System Restore points.

Did the “repair” just remove the game partition ?

If it were me I would flatten and rebuild, but its not me, so the next best thing is what cholla and Roadworker said.:stuck_out_tongue:

:flower:Thanks all your help is appreciated.

Ran windows Defender found adware:win32/costmin.

running Malwarebytes at the moment.

Downloading Malwarebytes AntiExploit:cool:

AS for the flatten and Rebuild. He only got this laptop end Feb has no Recovery Disc ( probley have to make your own)

[I]My PC is getting slugish and all my programs /Emails. are backed up and going to format .when I heard my Son was comming for the Weekend thought Ill wait. Glad [/I]I did:bigsmile:

I agree with alan1476 as the best solution.
Erase,wipe &/or format the drive.
Do a fresh install of Windows 8.1.
That way all the viruses will be gone for sure.

The laptop probably has a recovery partition.
You might need to make or download a recovery cd to use it.

The laptop almost certainly has a recovery partition. Accessing it varies by manufacturer, but normally you can hit one of the Function keys as you boot up to get into the recovery process. As this video shows, it it F11 for this particular Lenovo laptop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7G93cWDVqo

Don’t know for certain if this is the same for your son’s laptop.

Diane,after you’re ready with restoring to factory settings, installation of all windows updates,extra needed drivers and his most used softwares and security programs,you can use the free Aomei Backupper Standard to image that baseline system to another disk or partition.
By doing that,you can save yourself that tedious work next time if he ,by any chance,runs into trouble again with that machine…:slight_smile:

[B]Thanks again[/B]:kiss:

Not going to restore to factory settings Copying kerrys YouTube vidio and puting it on his laptop.
He has to backup his own stuff.

Malwarebytes found opencandy in Daemon tools

Son knows sweet fanny adams about Computers.
[B]PEOPLE must read all the small prin[/B][B]t[/B] and dont just click OK ( he kept complaning I gave him a trial HE installed Malwarebytes himself:bigsmile:

Laptop seems OK now No errors came up after 2 restarts
Pinned all his Virus programs to his Start page and task bar.

He is going back to Varsity tomorrow lunch time .

Well the Goodthing about this was that , Food was made for me and my Kitchen was Scrubbed Clean .:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=diane7;2730199]Son knows sweet fanny adams about Computers.[/QUOTE]

I thought young people around that age are all computer wizards…:eek:

[QUOTE=diane7;2730199]Not going to restore to factory settings Copying kerrys YouTube vidio and puting it on his laptop.
He has to backup his own stuff.[/QUOTE]

So you gonna force him to ditch sweet fanny adams???:bigsmile::wink:

[QUOTE=diane7;2730199][B]PEOPLE must read all the small prin[/B][B]t[/B] and dont just click OK [/QUOTE]

Also common behaviour for the younger generation…even for some of the ‘wizards’…:wink:

[QUOTE=diane7;2730199]Well the Good thing about this was that , Food was made for me and my Kitchen was Scrubbed Clean .:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Now THAT is a positive side effect!:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2730201]I thought young people around that age are all computer wizards…:eek:
[/QUOTE]

[B]well if you Drop Down Dead he is a good person to have around .[/B]

After working 3 years in EMT Emergency medical technician now studying[B] Advanced life support[/B] 4 year degree.

Not one of my 3 Sons are interested in Computers , I got my first tast of PC life when I was 48:eek:

[QUOTE=diane7;2730202][B]well if you Drop Down Dead he is a good person to have around .[/B]

After working 3 years in EMT Emergency medical technician now studying[B] Advanced life support[/B] 4 year degree[/QUOTE]

Impressive!!!:clap:
A human body that goes into failure is much more difficult to fix than a computer…:bigsmile:;)…so he definately has the brains,but probably not the interest…:slight_smile:

Just to Thank all My Son Came home with a Working latop
All previace (Cant evan google) the right spelling problems fixed ,
MY Encarta was no Help eather.