Trying to do a reverse "jams" DVD with Nero 7

Hi,

I’ve been trying to figure this out for about 2 hours now and am getting nowhere.
I’m a teacher. I recently bought a Sony Handycam so I could record my students’ speeches. I’d like to burn each student their own copy of their speech. I did a test run of the camcorder. I have 8 chapters I guess (8 different segments recorded). Rather than pull separate video files from different DVDs and combine on one DVD, I want to take the one DVD and burn to separate DVD’s (hence the reverse of a “jams” DVD).

How do I keep from burning the entire DVD to a DVD-R? I want to separate out the 8 segments to record one segment per DVD.
To clarify: In a given day of class, I could have up to 10 kids’ speeches recorded to one DVD in the camcorder. How do I take out each kid’s speech and burn it to a DVD for them (ending up with 10 burned DVDs, one per kid)? Right now, I was able to burn my 8 original segments but Nero 7 burned it all at once to one DVD. It didn’t give me an option to do the segments one at a time.

I tried reading their free online help but all it showed me was what the different icons mean in the software. I tried a search and it brought me back to the original page that showed me icons.

I have an Hp dvd1040 and the software that came with it is Nero 7 Essentials.

Thanks so much!

Hi Ms. Teacher & Welcome:

You should have Nero Vision and you can use that to cut the video files into the segments you want.

The Nero help manuals are on-line at http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero7-helpfiles.html

When you say I “should have Nero Vision” is that something that would have come automatically with the Nero 7 software or is that something else I need to buy/download?

Go to “start”, “programs” and click on Nero 7. Are one of your Nero programs Nero Vision 4?

I got the Vision to go. I’ve even figured out how to create chapters (I don’t think I could figure out how to do it again though). Now I’m trying to figure out how to burn each chapter to a separate DVD.

I checked the online tutorials and so far I can’t find a step by step guide for dummies like me on how to do what I need to do. I’ll keep trying.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

What about connecting the Sony Handycam and transferring the first segment. Stop it and save the file. Repeat this until you have all individual files (chapters) transferred to your drive. Then, use Nero Vision to create individual DVDs. Using the menus built into Nero Vision, you could have each student’s name appear when the disc loads. You could even add a file (jpeg) as a background. I found my students loved the personal touch.

Help Files - Use the link I provided to get to Nero 7 help. Open Nero Vision 4 and navigate to the following (screen shot). However, you may not need to do this if transferring in 8 discrete connections does the job (you may need to change file names so you don’t accidentally copy over a previous transfer).

Without overloading you, it might be helpfull to use DVD +R media and changing the booktype to DVD-ROM if your drive supports this. Doing this will increase the chances of your students playing the video on their stand-alone player. An alternative is to stick with -R media and it’s their parent’s problems.

Good Luck

I think I may be at work too long.
What you typed sounds really easy, but I don’t know how to do any of that…transfer from the Handycam to the drive (I’m assuming you mean the external burner? Do I do that through my Handycam or through Nero? What am I saving the segments to? My desktop?

I’ve been at this for 4 hours. I think I need to go home and try again tomorrow. I’ll try what you listed…can’t you just teleport here and show me? For an English teacher I’m terrible…guess I’m a hands on learner…

Again, thank you so much. I’m just really frustrated. What started out as a cool idea is turning into a technological nightmare. Where are the VCR recorders when you need them? Oh yeah, obsolete :).
:confused:

If your school or district has an AV person, they could be a big help. Regardless, Nero Vision (4) has an option to “capture video to hard drive”. If, you use an internal or external drive, your Nero should recognize that you have attached your Sony Handycam and you should be prompted to select the destination, name the file, etc.

When the segment you want has transferred, stop the transfer and what transfers should represent the first student’s work. Repeat until you are done.

Then, you will need to use Nero Vision for each segment captured to burn each student’s individual disk.

Maybe I’ll give that a try today after school.
Thank you again for all of your help. I do appreciate it.