Trying to create a backup CD, not working

vbimport

Hello, this is my first time copying anything because I've never been interested in piracy or making my own CDs but recently a game CD got lost and I have decided to backup my more expensive game CDs from now on.

The game is Warcraft 3.

So I tried copying to a CD with my regular software and it didn't work. It told me that it doesn't detect the CD although it seems that everything is working. I found out later that it is copyright protection in work and if I wanted to have a backup CD I needed a different software program like CloneCD or Ahead Nero.

So first I got CloneCD. All the time, everytime I try copying I get an error at 3% of the write portion:

"Writing to CD failed, Unit Attention: Power On, Reset, Or Bus Device Reset Occured(6:0X29:X02)"

Whatever I did never made anything else happen. Defragmented, turned off any program, put the write speed both up and down.

What's wrong? But no matter, I went to Ahead Nero.

This time it worked. BUT I still got the copyright protection problem. I thought Nero was susposed to go around that?

What do I do, I figured CD copying was simple. It is very hard.

Thanks.

are you copying on the fly ? what drive do you use? and nero doesnt do copy protections.

Well there is a new kind of copy protection on the original CD of Warcraft. See this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49766

So you need to have a CD Writer that can read and write that disc. Otherwise it just wont work :wink:

And of course this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49325

I have an Iomega ZipCd 650. Does that work?

You picked a brute of a game to try for your first game cd backup. However, for latest info on copying this game see here

Warcraft 3 has a Secure Rom New protection. you gotta have a good writer + clone cd installed to have any chance of a backup. :o

So is an Iomega ZipCD 650 a good writer? Capable of doing it?

Also, as I said earlier when I tried writing to a CD with CloneCD this is what happened always(despite playing with different variables):

At 3 % of writing it says this “Writing to CD failed, Unit Attention: Power On, Reset, Or Bus Device Reset Occured(6:0X29:X02)”

What is wrong?

Also, a less preferable method would be just putting it on the harddrive so that I don’t need to use a CD. Is this easier and how would I do it?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Peare
Also, a less preferable method would be just putting it on the harddrive so that I don’t need to use a CD. Is this easier and how would I do it?

That won’t work either. Just because the game developers WANTED their game to be protected. Unless you have the ORIGINAL CD (with the protection) in your drive, you don’t stand a chance (unless you use unfair means of course - I won’t be elaborating ont that - I hope you understand).

That you get errors when copying imply that your recorder does not support writing the SecureROM protected CDs. But maybe…just maybe you could play around with the advanced setting of CloneCD, turn ‘Amplify weak sectors’ on off, etc - experiment on a CDRWs and see if you get any success.

AWS won’t help for securerom. However, if Peare tried to both read and write from a zip cd writer, I’m not surprised it failed. I don’t know for sure but I think that the zip cd is a re-badged philips model (all iomega writers are re-badged) which, although it can write subs, can’t read them.

This would mean that if the read were done with the writer the proggie would go belly-up when it tried to write as it would be loking for subs that just weren’t there.

Well I DID get it to work, sort of. The thing works from the hard drive with Daemon Tools. But I am having trouble getting the working image onto a CD. What exactly do I do?

Thanks.