Trying to convert LP to CD using Nero 6

My dad still has a bunch of records that he never bought CD copies of yet, so I offered to try to do it using my copy of Nero 6. I went to Radio Shack and bought an adapter to convert from RCA to 1/8" output (which I can then plug into my computer), and plugged in his old record player (a Sony PS-LX2). However, I’ve run into a couple of problems on my first attempt:

1. The sound coming out of my speakers on my computer is tiny. I have to turn the volume up all the way to hear anything.

2. When I go to do step 2 of the process (separating the tracks), Nero chokes and has to quit.

3. I really don’t know what I’m doing :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m running the program on a Compaq PC running XP, and I should have enough space on my hard drive (52 GB). I’ve plugged my audio imput into the blue hole next to the microphone and speaker holes on the computer. There is no actual sound card, it just runs off of the motherboard.

Do I need to run the player through an amplifier first, or should my computer take care of that? Will the sound be louder after it is done recording? The level meters are showing red if I leave the volume at 100%, and I have to turn it down to 32% to make it so that they stay in the yellow. And should I just try to record one track at a time rather than the whole side? When I did a test run it seemed to allow me to do one track and it would work fine, but then it wanted to burn the CD right then and there, and that would have been a waste.

Thanks for any input or help anyone can give me!

Yes, you need a Phono Preamp (with RIAA correction). The easiest way to do this is to hook it up with a stereo amplifier or receiver and use the Tape Out/Record connection to the Line In on the PC.

If Nero doesn’t work, try Audacity - it’s free.