Trying to buy a new "modern" drive. Advice please!

I’ve descided that I can not live with only one dvd writer (not even thinking of how bad the machine looks like with a whole in it, since I can not cover up the space left by the previous writer) so now I’m thinking of buying a new one.

I’ve considerd the drives that I can get here and my own needs counted too and sorted the available drives to these three (since there ain’t much price difference so I can not choose based on that):

NEC - AD-7173S SATA (I wonder if there’s black from this)
SAMSUNG - SH-S183L/BEBN black SATA
Asus 1814 BLT SATA (yeah, I already have one of this, but it’s still in)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Samsung one is as good or better/worse as the Asus one (since I already know that one), also I wonder how sharp picture can it create?

Also is the NEC one a good burner (I’m not oo impressed by LB still it attracts me…then I see the price of a LF disc and I get scared)?

Any help will be appreciated!

I would give the SAMSUNG a try

As would I :slight_smile:

As for “sharper picture”, that’s down to the software you use, whether you’re encoding or ripping from a disc, no burner will make a difference there. :wink:

Okay that’s two for the Samsung then. Thanks for voting, I never really knew Samsung makes dvd-rw’s so I got suprised when I saw it (one of my reasons why I have problems choosing) but I guess I’m getting closer to desciding now.

And sorry I think I wasn’t clear enough I meant which makes sharper LS picture? Sorry my bad. :doh: I’ve just realized it could be meant differently too. :o

Hi :slight_smile:
I would rather go with the Pioneer 212. Although not in your list.
If you must go with Samsung, go with the SH-S203B. This model is far better & about to replace the 183. Which BTW was a bit of a stop gap filler. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Samsung SH-S203B, sounds good though it’s more expensive (not much though) but hey 20x DVD±R burn!!! That’s something (pretty new too, only 1 shop sells it yet). No LS though (I think atleast, Samsung site did’t put that on the speci.)…still I take it up on my list (maybe on the top) it really got me impressed. After all I could burn with this and make LS images with the Asuse I already have. Thanks!

No Pioneer 212 for me though, not like I would be against it but they only sell the 112D! Also, aren’t Pioneers hard to install? My nephew has a Pioneer and it took 3 days to make that work (with help from here, Windows didn’t want to recognize it, dunno why though).

Pioneers are fussy.
They have to have 80 wire 40 pin IDE cables.
Even then set to Master as opposed to Slave.
As an aside, if your going to do a fair bit of LS labelling. Then a seperate drive for this is a good idea anyway.

Hmmm. Then that Samsung SH-S203B starts to look better and better. Since LS is needed for my movie backups or I’ll loose them (you cannot imaging how many times did I have to make another backup of a dvd just because I didn’t write on the top right after burn and then I didn’t know which is the bottom…after writing on it I’ve figured it out of course…wrong side :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: )

holly hell

is Samsung SH-S203B out already? where?

Don’t the Samsung S182(D or M) and 183 suffer from -R lead-in position errors and PSU compatibility problems?

As far as the -R leadin, yes!

In the UK.
That said they were meant to arrive last week, but as yet are still too arrive. :doh:
With my local dealer that is. :rolleyes:
For those wondering I had one of these on loan.
(I know someone at the R&D section of HP in the west country) :iagree: :bigsmile: