Trying to burn VOBs

vbimport

This is my first post, so pardon me if I ramble …

I have a DVD with 5 movies on it, made from TV. I decrypted it to my hard drive, and edited a particular VOB to remove commercials, etc. I then followed ALL the steps to create my IFO files for that one VOB using IFOedit

When I try to watch the folder in VLC, nothing. When I try to open with DVD Shrink, I get “failed to open file VTS_01_1.VOB” I created the ISO with ImgBurn, and it loaded on Cyberlink PowerDVD, but but the navigational slider was unusable. Clicking it anywhere started it over.

Now the best part: when I burned the ISO, it skipped scenes and audio dropped consistently. Not the disc, as I burned two of them. Any suggestions on what I did wrong or failed to do??

Thank you for your time

MovieMaven

Your title is “Trying to burn VOB"s”…were the 5 DVD movies in .vob or.mpg format or ?..What tool did you use to copy all 5 to the HDD? you created an ISO with IMGBurn , does it play from HDD?

I could not think of a good title! The DVD was made of 5 VOB files, one for each movie. I used DVD Decrypter to get them to my hard drive. I kept them in VOB format so I could burn them without further processing.

The ISO plays with no navigation at all using Cyberlink Power DVD, but not using VLC.

Thanks,

MM

What tool did you use to edit?

Are they full length movies? cus I would recommend 2 per disc at the most, unless you use a DL disc…
You could try to merge all vob’s with say, VobMerge or Vob2mpg and use your editing tool ,then feed the edited file to DVDFlick or FAVC…

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2097077]What tool did you use to edit?[/QUOTE]

VideoReDo Plus.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2097079]Are they full length movies? cus I would recommend 2 per disc at the most, unless you use a DL disc…
You could try to merge all vob’s with say, VobMerge or Vob2mpg and use your editing tool ,then feed the edited file to DVDFlick or FAVC…[/QUOTE]

They are full length but small size. The one I am working with is under
700MB, VCD size. Does that make a difference?? (stupidly realizing after the fact!)

Are you trying to edit just one VOB and still keep the complete disc?
Try using VobBlanker.
http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/guides/VobBlanker/prevcut/index.php
And then process to a new folder. There will be no need for you to create new IFO’s.
VobBlanker will take care of that.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2097094]Are you trying to edit just one VOB and still keep the complete disc?
Try using VobBlanker.
http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/guides/VobBlanker/prevcut/index.php
And then process to a new folder. There will be no need for you to create new IFO’s.
VobBlanker will take care of that.[/QUOTE]

I am taking one or two off of each disc, and making each to their own disc. Only roblem with the IFOs is that I am editing the VOBs, so won’t the IFOs be outdated??

Thanks

You can take one or two and make new discs using DVD Shrink in the re-author mode and then make your cuts with VobBlanker.

It kind of sounds like the mpeg 2 file (a vob is an mpeg file with a different extension) might be getting corrupted when you are editing it? What process are you using to edit it? After editing it, try changing the file extension from .vob to .mpg (no processing or altering of the file, just change the extension in the name) and then try playing the file to help test it.

If the vob/mpeg file is ok, nero can do the rest including combining them to one disk from one program, and if they have the .vob file extension, it normally doesn’t re encode them (if it has an mpg extension, it will reencode which shouldn’t be unnecessary so don’t do that).

[QUOTE=ripit;2097112]It kind of sounds like the mpeg 2 file (a vob is an mpeg file with a different extension) might be getting corrupted when you are editing it? What process are you using to edit it? After editing it, try changing the file extension from .vob to .mpg (no processing or altering of the file, just change the extension in the name) and then try playing the file to help test it.

If the vob/mpeg file is ok, nero can do the rest including combining them to one disk from one program, and if they have the .vob file extension, it normally doesn’t re encode them (if it has an mpg extension, it will reencode which shouldn’t be unnecessary so don’t do that).[/QUOTE]

The VOB file plays perfectly. I cannot load the IFO files into DVD shrink, and the resultant ISO files do not play properly.

Delete those files and rip it again.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2097120]Delete those files and rip it again.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, which files??

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2097110]You can take one or two and make new discs using DVD Shrink in the re-author mode and then make your cuts with VobBlanker.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I may see the problem. I did what you said, but when I opened the ISO in DVD decrypter, it said it was NOT a DVD.

Delete the files you say you ripped in your first post and start again.

Open the ISO with DVD Shrink.
Don’t you have the disc so you can re-rip?

I would guess if the edited vob files are fine, there there is an issue with the authoring. I’m a bit of a dummy when it comes to authoring (I’m lasy and let nero do it for me), but here is a guide that may be similar to what you are trying to do using the same software. Perhaps you could watch it and compare the steps to yours, and figure out where the problem is and or Dialysis1 can help you a bit?
http://members.cox.net/wcommerc/dvd/dvd.shtml

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2097132]Open the ISO with DVD Shrink.
Don’t you have the disc so you can re-rip?[/QUOTE]

Got it working, thanks!!

I re-ripped the disc, created the ISO from DVDShrink, loaded it onto my virtual drive, then used VOB Blanker and it worked beautifully!

Appreciate everyone’s input here!

MM