Trying to burn movies to dvd-r and im kinda stuck

vbimport

im using a roxio creator program to burn movies to dvd-r discs and im sad to say they are memorex discs which i now know from reading other discussions is a bad choice, however im new at this burning dvds thing. now when i burn the movies i downloaded from limewire to the discs, they work fine in my laptop but when i put them in any dvd player i get a error message and when i put the discs in other computers it plays the sound but i have no picture. i need help asap:)

The vast majority of videos you can download from limewire are illegal, and thus not something we can talk about on these forums. But making the [B]huge[/B] assumption that you have downloaded some that are not copyright protected, we might be able to help.

It is probable that the videos are not in dvd-video format. Most video you can download has been converted, or created in other formats like xvid avi or .wmv. Look at the extension at the end of the files you have. It might be .avi, .mp4, .mov, .mkv or .wmv. Not many of those can be read by a stand alone dvd player. Even modern players that have support for different video formats other than dvd-video usually only work with avi files using either the divx or xvid codecs.

If the file you have is a Video_TS folder, with .vob, .ifo and .bup files within it, then you have actual dvd-video.

So the first thing to do is to determine exactly what you have. Then you need to decide if it needs to be converted to something that can play in your stand alone player ( I have no idea what capabilities your particular player has). For conversions to dvd-video look at a couple of free programs called AVStoDVD and DVDFlick. Google those names and you’ll find where to download them.

Oh, and the reason you are getting sound but no picture on some computers is the fact that you are missing the necessary video codecs on those machines needed to play back the movie. You should download and use a different media player on those computers…VLC is free, self contained (doesn’t require outside codecs) and can play most anything you can throw at it. www.videolan.org

o i had no idea they were illegal. should i delete this discussion and limewire? so i need movies the have .vob, .ifo and .bup at the end of the names so they’ll play in a stand alone dvd player?

You won’t be able to delete this discussion. You are only given a limited amount of time to edit posts here at MyCE. Not to worry though…you are now aware that we cannot help with illegal downloads on these forums.

Not all downloaded material is illegal, so we give users the benefit of a doubt.

And just to clarify things for you, DVD video always has a Video_TS folder which contains .vob, .ifo and .bup files within it. That is the structure you need for most dvd players.
You might also have an Audio_TS folder, but it will always be empty.

The two programs I mentioned convert various types of video files over to dvd-video structure so that you can burn to a disk and play them on a stand alone player.

o ok i just dont wana get into trouble bc i didnt know what i was doing ya know? im downloading the avs video converter as we speak.

Make sure it is AVStoDVD. I should have provided a link earlier. Here is one now: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

Telling you which tools to use for conversion of video is not breaking the rules of the forum. However, if you are certain your downloads are not legal, we’d best close off this discussion.

I’ll wait a few minutes since you seem to be online now, but I’ll have to close it soon.

once i convert the movie to dvd format then do i just burn it to the disc? and is there a certain brand name of disc to use?

ok ill close it

There is quite a lot of information available on the forums to answer your last few questions. But I’ve bent the rules enough for one night so this thread is now closed.