Trying to Burn a DVD Nearly Drained my C Drive

Hello,

(please excuse the forthcoming n00bness):

using: WinXP/H/SP2
IntelPent4/1.00 GB RAM

I am trying to burn a 4.60 GB file of a wedding onto a 4.7 GB DVD (I know - I may have to try and figure
out how to break down that file some) anyway - my issue now is while I was waiting for the copying files
to unload I received a warning that my “C” drive was low on memory, when I looked it had gone from
around 3300 mb’s free space down to 230 or so. (yikes)

The folder with the video file is located on drive “D” where there is just under 70,000 mb’s of free space.

My MO:
drag folder of 4.60 GB video file to drive “F”, click on “you have files waiting to be written” bubble,
wait while copy-files are loading. Near the end of this was when my memory ran low (duh)

question:
Is there a way to by pass using the C drive at all when burning to a disc? Short of moving something from
that “F” (dvd) drive to my “D”? My F drive is inside the tower, so I don’t think that can be (logically) moved.
Or - if/how can I change the default destination temp folder?

Actually, I thought I had done this already when I was doing something else (boosting virtual mem) - it
seemed I ran across this ability to manually change the default destination for these kinds of files, and I did
that (I think it was then) - in My Computer>Prop.>Adv.>Mem>Settings>etc… - obviously though, it was spending all my C drive bytes… (?)

I do appreciate any help and suggestions.
Thanks,
Suzanne

Are you saying that this 4.6gb video file is already on your hard drive and that you’re trying to burn it onto a dvd? And are you trying to use the built-in burning functionality of Windows XP? If the answer to both of these is yes, then I’d suggest using a third-party burning application, such as Nero Burning Rom, instead of using Windows XP. On a side note, if your video file is actually 4.6gb large, then you won’t be able to fit it onto a 4.7gb dvd because a 4.7gb dvd’s actual capacity is 4.38gb.

Thank you for your reply, AZImmortal.

Yes to both.
Does this Nero Burning application use some sort of outside server to store the necessary copying-files (not sure what else to call them-mirror image?)

It seems rather reduntant the way it’s set up - that I cannot use all those bytes available on my D drive.
I know I could easily find out what I need to about Nero program on my own.
So now, I suppose I need to figure out how to edit this video down some if these “third party” burning app’s are costly.

Thanks again!
Suzanne

Hi northWord (Suzanne), welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

The built-in CD Recording function in Windows XP only works with CD-R and CD-RW media, so you cannot use it for burning a DVD.

As AZImmortal said, you need to use a dedicated burning program such as Nero or Roxio, or one of the freeware programs such as ImgBurn. There’s a guide about How to use ImgBurn in BUILD mode: A user guide in our CD and DVD Burning Software forum.

Burning files to a DVD and playing them in your DVD player will only work if the files are in a format supported by your DVD player, and the only format guaranteed to be supported is DVD Video, which not only requires files in the proper format but also that the way they are burned must be the correct one (the filesystem type used must be correct).

If you have some *.ifo , *.bup and *.vob files in a folder called VIDEO_TS, then the files are in the right format and you just need a burning program that will burn the DVD using the right filesystem type.

If you have video files in another format such as e.g. AVI or WMV, then you may have to use a video conversion or authoring program to convert everything to DVD Video format.

Most DVD burning programs don’t have to copy files before burning, unlike the builtin CD Recording tool in Windows XP, so they will use a lot of additional space on your harddrive unless you have to convert your files to another format before burning.

Hi,

The latter is rather easy to obtain. Create a folder (name as you like, e.g. “tempfldr”) on a drive that has enough space.
Then open a command window (Start -> Run, enter “cmd” there). You get some ancient looking window waiting for your input.
Assumed, you created “tempfldr” on drive “F:”, then just type
set temp=F: empfldr
and after hitting “Enter” key
set tmp=F: empfldr
you’re done after hitting “Enter” key again then.

Some CD/DVD burning applications also allow to set the path to temporary files to a user specified folder

Michael

Thank you so much mciahel and DrageMester.

I am more into the photography end of things and have “Pro Show Gold” for slideshow making, I haven’t even fully aquainted myself with that program yet… It’s just this one video my son did at my brothers wedding and it’s the only one that turned out, BTW - the files [I]are[/I] .avi -(fwiw the file reads: Assist_cap0005.avi)

Anyway, I will kick around with the all the options here and hopefully resolve the issue.

Thanks again, you have [B]all[/B] been very kind and generous with your replies, I really appreciate this place!

Suzanne

correction: so they will not use … :doh:

As DrageMester pointed out, you’ll need to convert this avi file into the proper dvd-video files if you want to be able to play this video in standalone dvd players. Avi2Dvd is a good (and free) program that you can use to do this.