Trying to back-up Journey to center of earth BR

I am trying to backup my Blu-Ray of Journey to the Center of the Earth. I am using the newest version of AnyDVDHD that I downloaded yesterday. I am also trying to use TSRemux. Using AnyDVD gives me an error about 17% into ripping the main movie (00005.m2ts). The error that comes up is “Error reading from drive F:.” Huh? It made it 17%! Same thing when I tried to create an iso. I also used TSRemux, and got an error. It looks like the movie is coded as VC-1 instead of the other format they are. I don’t know if this is the problem. Is there any way around this? Can these disks be backed up?

[QUOTE=rynosims;2219063]I am trying to backup my Blu-Ray of Journey to the Center of the Earth. I am using the newest version of AnyDVDHD that I downloaded yesterday. I am also trying to use TSRemux. Using AnyDVD gives me an error about 17% into ripping the main movie (00005.m2ts). The error that comes up is “Error reading from drive F:.” Huh? It made it 17%! Same thing when I tried to create an iso. I also used TSRemux, and got an error. It looks like the movie is coded as VC-1 instead of the other format they are. I don’t know if this is the problem. Is there any way around this? Can these disks be backed up?[/QUOTE]

First off did you try to play the movie to see that it works and isn’t a manufacture fault? Sounds like you got a bad press you should go back and exchange it for another copy. Also I heard people use Anydvd to rip BD and then use ImgBurn to burn to BD recordable.

I think I did get a bad copy. I tried playing it after I failed miserably to back it up, and about 20 minutes in, it would freeze and stutter, then not play at all. I went back and exchanged it, and it played perfectly. Now I’m going to give it another try. I should have played it before posting. Maybe this will help out someone else in the future!

NP. The problem you describe is the first tale sign of bad media press. DVD also are candidates for that problem as well so it’s not limited to only BD or HDDVD media. I think lately they been going down hill on the quality of their media production.

That’s absolutely correct, however, there’s a bit of a problem with the “play it” advice. Just because a disc is playable does NOT mean that it’s not defective. How is this possible? Because playing it doesn’t necessarily hit all the areas of the disc that a backup would. I have a “Bad Disc?” guide that I recommend people use. The gist of it is this:

-Temporarily disable AnyDVD HD
-Insert your troubled disc
-Load up the latest version of ImgBurn
-Use the read image function of ImgBurn and ignore the copy protected disc warning. It will still create an image

If ImgBurn can create an image with AnyDVD disabled, but can’t with AnyDVD enabled, then there’s a possible issue with AnyDVD that Slysoft will need to look into. However, if ImgBurn fails to read the disc with AnyDVD disabled, then either the disc is bad (scratched, poorly mfg’d, whatever) or it could signify a possible drive failure. Most of the time it indicates a bad disc. But there are times when we’ve seen drives fail and the symptoms are pretty much the same. If it’s happening with multiple discs, then you have to start suspecting the drive. Another possible cause is conflicting drivers. Packet writing software is known to cause issues at times. So, it’s a complicated issue to troubleshoot, but, I always follow Henry David Thorough’s advice…“simplify simplify simplify.” Meaning, take as many variables out of the equation as possible to get to the heart of a problem.

I hope this guide helps!

Hey Sami
did I get this right
Imgburn will read a Protected Blu-ray with-out ANYDVD running?

Yes, but, the resulting image is still protected. Meaning that it can ONLY be used when mounted on a virtual drive AND AnyDVD is enabled for that virtual drive to remove the protection from the mounted image. So many people misunderstand this concept. They feel that if they can make an image without AnyDVD enabled then why do they need AnyDVD at all. The reason is because the image is still encrypted and contains any protection such as BD+ that need to be removed before it can be played. The player is NOT capable of doing that as there is information missing from the image that the original contains. That information can’t be contained in the image at all. However, since AnyDVD has a title key database it’s able to decrypt the mounted image on the fly without that missing information.

P.S. That’s the concept behind the “Keep protection” feature of AnyDVD’s Rip to image function, as well. That was added by…request. :wink: I only ever make protected images for many reasons.

Sounds like good advice. The problem was with AND without AnyDVD working at the time. 20 minutes in, movie freezes. Exchanged the copy out, and all is well. I just bought my new Sony Vaio laptop with Blu-Ray a couple day’s ago, so this is my first time dealing with backing up my Blu-Rays. I just discovered AnyDVD last week by accident, and wow! What a great program. I usually used DVDShrink, and if a movie wasn’t compatible, I just didn’t back it up. Now, I’ll have to go back and try them again (Mainly Disney movies). So far I have used AnyDVD HD and BDinfo and TSremuxer to back up the main title to my hard drive. Journey was 16 gig and Iron Man came out to over 25 gigs. Now I just need to make sure I can stream the m2ts to my PS3 when I get home.

AnyDVD is an excellent program and well supported by Slysoft.

As for your streaming to PS3 idea, it depends on a few things. First, it won’t stream HD audio formats. So if you’re downconverting the audio to the core AC3 (for TrueHD) or DTS (for DTS-HD MA) tracks, it should be ok audio-wise. Second, it won’t stream VC-1 video. Blame Sony on this one. It’s an absolutely STUPID restriction. It’ll do MPEG2 and it’ll do AVC, but, not VC-1. As long as you have a core audio track and a non-VC-1 video track, you should be able to stream it just fine.

Sami
thanks for the update
BTW
how long does it take to rip the whole BR movie disk with IMG?

That obviously depends on the disc size and your drive. With my LG drive I can get about 20mb/s on my image rips. I use AnyDVD’s Rip to image function. It gives the same speed as ImgBurn.

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2219474]That obviously depends on the disc size and your drive. With my LG drive I can get about 20mb/s on my image rips. I use AnyDVD’s Rip to image function. It gives the same speed as ImgBurn.[/QUOTE]
so thats about 1.2 gb/min
Thanks

I’ve been ripping the main movie stream using TSRemux into a m2ts format and converting the Blu-Ray TruHD audio to AC3/DTS to DTS function. I am assuming that this converts the audio to DTS, but I have yet to verify this because I am in New Mexico and my PS3 is home in Florida. Unless I can convince the Best Buy folks to let me hook up my machine and give it a whirl!

[quote=zaq;2219771]so thats about 1.2 gb/min
Thanks[/quote]

Don’t forget that’s peak, not constant. It doesn’t start out at 20.

No, that’s misleading. It does not convert TrueHD to DTS. That option will extract a core audio from either TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. The core audio for a TrueHD track is AC3. The core audio for DTS-HD MA is obviously DTS. So in your case, you will end up with an AC3 audio track.

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2219926]No, that’s misleading. It does not convert TrueHD to DTS. That option will extract a core audio from either TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. The core audio for a TrueHD track is AC3. The core audio for DTS-HD MA is obviously DTS. So in your case, you will end up with an AC3 audio track.[/QUOTE]

so then how long to rip a 90 minute movie
or the full 25 gb?
TIA

25 gigs takes about 30 minutes or so for me. Maybe less.

Hey sami
One more ?
if you do a 1:1 rip I assume this also rips the audio tracks ie a true clone rip.
so, is the audio conversion discussed above for PS3 purposes?
TIA

Right. He’s not talking about doing a 1:1 rip. He’s reauthoring using TSMuxer. Doing an ISO rip with either the built in AnyDVD Rip to image function or using ImgBurn/CloneCD/Whatever, then none of the streams are touched. It’s an exact duplicate of the original (minus the VUK which can’t be stored in the image and is required for decryption unless you already have the title key).