Trying Linux again?

OK,maybe time for a new trial run of Linux then.:p:iagree:

A few questions:
Which program can compete with the windows versions of AnyDvdHD and DvdFab Blu-Ray Ripper?

I tried Wine in the past,but would it be a wise decision to buy the latest version of Codeweaver’s CrossOver?

Propietary graphics drivers were an issue on my eyefinity system,is there improvement now?

Any decent alternative for Daemon-Tools Advanced or Alcohol 120%?

What’s the best Blu-ray software player with support for bd+ and menu’s?

I want to jump in here and encourage Roadworker to also consider posting his ‘critical Windows apps’ on my thread about that topic:

because I’d like to get a list of folks’ critical programs and see if there’s not some development opportunities. I know there is an opportunity to join in the Libre Office group, which can be a dream-like achievement.

But if I can find more programs, maybe there are more opportunities as well.

I’ve never used the Codeweavers version of WINE, so I don’t know what works with their software. However, DVDFab HD works just fine under the normal version of WINE.

In addition, DVD Decrypter (when set to use ASPI) and DVDShrink both work OK.

I’ve never tried using AnyDVD on Windows [B]OR[/B] WINE, so I have no idea whether or not it will work.

Did you know WINE has an official database, which shows a large variety of apps known to work/not work on WINE.

For decryption, there is also MakeMKV, which has a version available for Linux. I don’t know much about the Linux version however, just that it is available and updated regularly.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2712392]I’ve never used the Codeweavers version of WINE, so I don’t know what works with their software. However, DVDFab HD works just fine under the normal version of WINE.
In addition, DVD Decrypter (when set to use ASPI) and DVDShrink both work OK.
I’ve never tried using AnyDVD on Windows [B]OR[/B] WINE, so I have no idea whether or not it will work.
Did you know WINE has an official database, which shows a large variety of apps known to work/not work on WINE.[/QUOTE]

What about native apps?Crossover or Wine are interesting emulators,but before Steam Linux came out,I was more interested to try them for gaming on Linux.:slight_smile:
TBH,and IMHO,if Linux adepts have to rely (sometimes) on Wine or Crossover to get some jobs done,I wouldn’t say that the penguin totally can replace windows…:disagree:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2712398]For decryption, there is also MakeMKV, which has a version available for Linux. I don’t know much about the Linux version however, just that it is available and updated regularly.[/QUOTE]

Now that’s what I mean!A real Linux ported dvd AND blu-ray decrypter…
Can they keep up with AnyDvd and DvdFab for decrypting the newest encryptions?

^No, MakeMKV will always lag behind AnyDVD and DVDFab a little bit on updates. But its a much smaller operation, and doesn’t make as much money. The Blu-ray decryption is only free while the program is in beta, but it has been in beta for years. You do have to go on their forum and get a new beta key periodically…about once a month. http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

I have moved to Linux Mint (Cinnamon) permanently. I find that MakeMKV does a decent job with DVD and has been perfect for BDs. For the few titles that do not work well I have Oracle Virtualbox 4.2 running with a Windows XP VM. From there I can use AnyDVD and CloneDVD without any issues at all (only use 4.2 - 4.3 is borked).

If you want to use DVDFab with wine I would suggest to use a version from the 8.x series. The newer 9.x series did not work correctly for me.

@timiL: I’ve only had minor issues with DVDFab 9 on my machine, so you might have just been unlucky with your issues (or, maybe I’ve just been lucky).

For everyone else: I’ve just discovered a website dedicated to helping Windows users find GNU/Linux alternative to their programs: http://www.linuxalt.com/.