Try HD-DVD if you really want a good picture

vbimport

I just want to expose people, who care about REALLY seeing what their video system is capable of doing, to the vastly superior picture from HD-DVD compared to Blu-Ray. As our equipment gets better, it is amazing how far ahead HD-DVD was, and how few people now really know how great their picture can look. I keep both an HD-DVD player and a Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray is necessary going forward, to rent a movie, but WOW, my system looks SO MUCH better playing an old HD-DVD. It is not a small difference. I would say that Blu-Ray is only about 1/2 way between standard DVD and HD-DVD. Has anyone else bothered to use their own eyes to compare the two? Or do we all just follow whatever the mainstream tells us what to do?

In the end only mainstream survices. This has been the same way with the lower quality VHS.

When the blogs and threads all over the internet were discussing the topic of HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray, I never read about anyone comparing picture quality. They were comparing specs, total recording time, companies backing each type, and many other topics. But, it seems to me that there is NOTHING more important to the end users than “how will my picture look”. Has ANYONE else done this comparison, and has ANYONE else found HD-DVD to be so much better, that it is worth having just a few titles to show-off their system’s best possible performance?

Now that used HD-DVD players are on Ebay for under $100, and titles $5 or less, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

[QUOTE=WarJarrett;2655151]When the blogs and threads all over the internet were discussing the topic of HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray, I never read about anyone comparing picture quality. They were comparing specs, total recording time, companies backing each type, and many other topics. But, it seems to me that there is NOTHING more important to the end users than “how will my picture look”. Has ANYONE else done this comparison, and has ANYONE else found HD-DVD to be so much better, that it is worth having just a few titles to show-off their system’s best possible performance?

Now that used HD-DVD players are on Ebay for under $100, and titles $5 or less, it seems like a no-brainer to me.[/QUOTE]

As far as picture quality goes, I think you’ll find they’re about a tie. I think some titles that were released on HD-DVD included more features though. I was always of the opinion that HD-DVD was better, but Sony basically paid to push their format and won the battle.

Does it matter if HD DVD provides a better picture than Blu-ray or not?
HD DVD is deader than Betamax and its zombie neighbours are Video 2000 and Elcaset.

Welcome to the forums, WarJarrett.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2655181]As far as picture quality goes, I think you’ll find they’re about a tie. I think some titles that were released on HD-DVD included more features though. I was always of the opinion that HD-DVD was better, but Sony basically paid to push their format and won the battle.[/QUOTE]

2 words. Better DRM.

Quality had nothing to do with it. Sony bought off more DVD manufacturers and so-called “rightsholders” and paid them to exclusively make BluRays and specifically not to make products for HD, supported by every other non-Sony product maker.

But those manufacturers - Toshiba, Mitsui, etc, - either didn’t or wouldn’t pay off the same studios. They bought a few alliances, but not enough.

So BluRay won not on quality comparisons, but on the pay-offs and bribes. Standard operating procedure.

Now, we’ll pay Sony to have them recoup their “investments”, and more of their artists will lose more royalties than ever before to under-the-table skimming. Support BluRay and rip-offs!

(I keep cheering for the Chinese to overwhelm Sony with THEIR marketplace and THEIR own corruption methods. Their EVD standard sounds great - but it’s at least 10 years old and never made it past a sheet of paper.)

I find that hard to believe. A lot of those HD-DVD and Blu-ray releases used the exact same encodes and catered to the lowest common denominator (HD-DVD).

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2655210]
(I keep cheering for the Chinese to overwhelm Sony with THEIR marketplace and THEIR own corruption methods. Their EVD standard sounds great - but it’s at least 10 years old and never made it past a sheet of paper.)[/QUOTE]

EVD, never heard of, but i assume its a HD standard? How does it compare to BluRay and HD-DVD (if anyone has ever seen one, or the specs for one if they WOULD produce it?)

/piccioni

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Versatile_Disc

[QUOTE=WarJarrett;2655151]When the blogs and threads all over the internet were discussing the topic of HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray, I never read about anyone comparing picture quality.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you haven’t read but BD for whatever cons and pros of it won the format wars by brides or corruption or high pay offs is now the standard format to buy and use.

[QUOTE=WarJarrett;2655151]They were comparing specs, total recording time, companies backing each type, and many other topics. But, it seems to me that there is NOTHING more important to the end users than “how will my picture look”. Has ANYONE else done this comparison, and has ANYONE else found HD-DVD to be so much better, that it is worth having just a few titles to show-off their system’s best possible performance?[/QUOTE]

You really need to take a good look around you and see that HD is a dead format and BD is in the market places now and trying to hope it comes back isn’t going to bring it back. One needs to face the reality HD is a dead format and is no longer produced or a worth while format to have or keep.

[QUOTE=WarJarrett;2655151]Now that used HD-DVD players are on Ebay for under $100, and titles $5 or less, it seems like a no-brainer to me.[/QUOTE]

That is the most irrational reason to even buy on Ebay do you think your going to be able to get a RMA or refund should it break or die past the limited return policy the seller puts on there. You will be stuck with a broken or non function HD unit with no manufacture to backup repair or warranty repair. So you need to stop telling people to buy on Ebay and inform them Ebay purchases are “AS IS” if it fails and the seller says you broke it - it is your loss and if it fails after the limited return time they allowed you own it and there is no return to the seller or the company as they most likely unloaded the now defunct HD units to 3rd parties to recover their loss cost. Also if you haven’t noticed some BD players can read HD media and why would you even think to tell buyers to buy a non support HD drive when BD drives can read HD. It is beginning to sound more and more like someone trying to grab for straws and forgetting BD drives will read HD media without one having to go and buy a HD device even though the drives are no longer available from local electronics retailer or from manufacture to buy.

So let’s be in Reality mode HD is a dead format and quality is a mutt discussion point as it is no longer supported by the manufacture. It seems like your a propaganda machine stuck in a feedback loop not recognizing the format is dead and no amount of crying or begging it is better the BD is bringing it back. So one needs to face reality…

BD won regardless of how it took over is now the format to buy and use. If you want it that badly to stay HD no one is stopping you but you shouldn’t push your backward thinking to people looking to use or go with a newer format as though HD is supported as it is “NOT” supported anymore. Also if you didn’t read my other reply BD drives will read HD media so user don’t even in the first place need to buy a HD drive when BD drive some already have the capability to read HD media. With the BD you will get support and warranty repair should it need it from the manufacture or local electronic retailer.

Of course, there’s always a chance that BLADE RUNNER and APOCALYPSE NOW will be delivered in HD in new Final Ultimate Deluxe Director’s Cut With Sugar-On-Top Anniversary versions, too. That would significantly boost the total number of HD titles available.

I hope that will happen soon. :wink:

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2657322]Of course, there’s always a chance that BLADE RUNNER and APOCALYPSE NOW will be delivered in HD in new Final Ultimate Deluxe Director’s Cut With Sugar-On-Top Anniversary versions, too. That would significantly boost the total number of HD titles available.[/QUOTE]

Not in HD-DVD format…I doubt the studio are going to say hey let’s put it out on HD-DVD format… “Not” More or less it will come out in BD format. And regardless of what one may want or think should happen BD is here to stay and HD-DVD is not ancient format no amount of crying :sad: will bring it back.

That was a joke.

As in “making fun of HD’s incredibly limited titles to begin with” and the incessant re-release of any variety of “cuts” and versions of certain films.