Try DVD Fab (Platinum, Gold) free!

It should work fine. Remember that Canada has a different (NTSC) television system than downunda (PAL), mate:) .

Thanks signals are you saying the free version will do it? and isnt the NTSC and PAL only for the TV and not for the DVD?

Hi sandman55,

signals seems to have signed off for a bit.
Yes, the freeware version will render the bkup region-free.
No, the PAL vs. NTSC issue remains. This is for dvds as well.

The easiest solution is a player which is capable of playing both.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to leave you hanging–lots of honeydew chores here I’m afraid. Thanks to Maineman for chiming in with a a helping hand. The best in tag team posting.:slight_smile: As he said, the video on DVDs sold in PAL countries is PAL encoded. They can be copied with “no worries” because bits are bits, but the TV you play them on will have to match. Region-free, multistandard DVD players (as maineman noted) are available for prices starting at about US$50 and might be a good choice if you plan to send them lots of discs.

Thanks maineman and signals for the info I’ll pass it on to my friend

Blaze Media Pro will convert PAL-NTSC or Vice-Versa, but it does take a long time. This is the first program I have found that will do this successfully.

I converted a few PAL .Avi’s I had saved to NTSC and can finally watch them on my Region1 DVD Player.

Thanks for that info Slinger007 I will pass it on.

I have tried both 3.1.3.2 and 3.1.3.3 beta free trial software versions in hopes of being able to buy them. But these versions have all resulted in hanging my computer and dvd burner (new pioneer). The HD Decryptpr version 3.1.2.8 is the only version that I have no problems with. I even treied using the trial software and then buring with Nero instead of DVDFAB Platinum burner, still hangs.
I would like to buy, but as I cannot get all Platinum fuctions working I wont be able to. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME ISSUES?

I have tried DVDFAB decrypter 3.1.3.2 and 3.1.4.0. both caused problems. I normally play off my hdd to check before I burn to dvd 3.1.3.2 froze after 5 minutes play 3.1.4.0 would not work at all 3.1.2.8 works fine. Downloaded DVDFAB Platinum 3.1.4.0 trial version burned two dvds and got unknown disc structure tried it again as movie only with same results. I have removed DVDFAB Platinum 3.1.4.0 including the prefetch and vso and gone back to using DVDFAB Decrypter 3.1.2.8 I am assuming there is a problem with the decryption on last two versions.

I just downloaded the DVDFab Platinum and it doesn’t work. Can you tell me might be able to help me in this matter. I guess you figured out I 'm not the best at all of this. LOL Thanks

Some of you might want to try these setting that have always worked great for me as I have had NO problems with FAB Platinum
My DVDFAB Platinum Settings Which Work Great For Me
Read
I/O Mode: Auto
Check: Ask Retry/Ignore/Abort When Reading Error
Retry: 5 Times
Skip Sectors After Reading Error: 32
Cache Control: Check Enable Read Ahead

Write
Write: Burning Engine VSO
Write Speed: 4X or 8X ( I use Verbatim 16X +R media writing at 8X or 12X)
DVD Writeable Media: DVD-5 Size 4472 ( less compression )
Write Type: SAO
Check Booktype To DVD-ROM ( only for DVD+R/RW Media )

Protection
Check Everything

Path Player
Enable Path Player when necessary

Fengato is there going to be an 18x speed?.

I am not sure that would be any benefit, but he may add it later. I use TY-R 4X discs at 4X and time difference is very small when compared to faster speeds. If speed is not selected FAB will determine the best speed for the quality of media used. Some media will burn beyond its rated speed, while others will make coasters.

4X is pretty slow though and I don’t think I’d have the patience for that.

I use 16X TY-R discs but because of an inherent idiosyncracy with NEC DVD writers I get PIF spikes with either 12X or 16X burns so I burn at 8X for quality.

Have you ever tried scanning discs burnt at different speeds for quality?

Sometimes the results are surprising depending on the drive and you might find that burning at 8X, 12X or 16X produces better scans despite the faster speeds and despite what the drive’s write strategies suggest.

Like other software Fab presumably uses the drive’s write strategies to determine the speed but that’s not necessarily the ideal burn speed for quality.

Have a go with some faster discs and you might be pleasantly surprised.

[B]Wombler[/B]

More coasters are made when you try to burn to fast, the best that I have found is to burn at 1/2 the rated speed of the media or so

I depends on the drive and the firmware.

I’ve seen scans before where burning at lower speeds produces poorer results but that tends to be with fast discs 16X+.

Quite frequently faster discs can be burnt at say 8X or 12X without any loss of quality compared to 4X discs burnt at their maximum speed.

16X and 18X are still problematic and not recommended for quality.

It’s a good exercise to study disc scans if only from the point of view of finding which discs best suit your specific writer.

I’d recommend the drive specific forums here to anyone that’s interested.

LightningUK! also has extensive tests with popular writers stored at his ImgBurn forum.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hi, This is a question that might have been asked before, but trying the Fab Platinum and its great, but I have some DVD’s that are other Regions, and while I have an all region player upstairs, the player connected to my big screen TV will play just Region 1. I made backups but they will not play there either. Is there a way to back up your disk and change the Region to 1 or all? Thanks.

[quote=sharks1947;1986782]Hi, This is a question that might have been asked before, but trying the Fab Platinum and its great, but I have some DVD’s that are other Regions, and while I have an all region player upstairs, the player connected to my big screen TV will play just Region 1. I made backups but they will not play there either. Is there a way to back up your disk and change the Region to 1 or all? Thanks.[/quote]As far as i know DVDFab cannot do this (you can however tell it not to remove the region coding). DVDShrink does allow user control of the region coding of the output but will have problems copying some discs with new copy protection schemes (Shrink is no longer updated). The problem you are having with out-of R1 discs on the downstairs player may be a PAL/NTSC video problem.

How the heck do I get it to stop splitting my movies into 1 GB VOB files. I want one big file!

Is this a setting?

The 1GB chunks are part of the DVD specification. If you want one huge VOB you can use the VOB Passthrough option in DVD to Mobile. It used to be in Generic, not sure about the new versions. You can install it as a device so that it appears in the DVD to Mobile navigation pane using CustomizeUI->DVD to Mobile. There will be no menus, and your hard disc will need to use the NTFS file system to get big (>4GB) VOBs from long movies. There is some information about this in the Tutorial (click on the red “Official Guide” link in my sig).