Trusted stores and Silver Lacquer TYs

vbimport

Hi, guys

I’ve been having trouble with my LG GH24NS90 and my Verbatim CD-Rs (CMC). The CDs get the data written but my PS2 can’t read them. When I burn them in my mom’s PC wiht a Samsung drive, they get OK, but sometimes I get read errors. Since my LG writes MCC-04’s very well, I was advised to buy some TY CD-Rs.

Problem is I live in Brazil, and the one place I’ve found TYs sells them for about US$1.10 each, which is pretty expensive.

Therefore I intend to buy the discs from another country and ship them here.

Here are a few questions regarding this process:

-Where should I buy? (I’m avoiding ebay)
For far, my searches led me to these stores:
http://www.mediasupply.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
Has someone bought from any of these stores before?

-What kind of disc should I buy?
I’d like my games to last, same for my PS2’s lenses. PSOne games are valuable data to me.
So, what kind should I buy? I’m planning on buying a cake box or other bulk package type.
Should I go for printable discs?
But why are the Silver Lacquer so much cheaper? Are they worse than inkjet printable ones? Or are they just cheaper?

Thanks in advance for the input, guys!

JVC/TY discs are the best CD-Rs you can buy now. Falcon Media Pro are probably the 2nd best. I would think you should be able to find the JVC/TY discs locally for reasonable prices, but maybe not.

I’ve bought things from the latter two stores. I’ve bought a lot of media recently from mediamegamall.com

Silver lacquer discs are less expensive because they’re easier / cheaper to make. They’re fine as long as you’re okay labeling them with a Sharpie. If you want to print discs then you need printable discs.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2701906]JVC/TY discs are the best CD-Rs you can buy now. Falcon Media Pro are probably the 2nd best. I would think you should be able to find the JVC/TY discs locally for reasonable prices, but maybe not.

I’ve bought things from the latter two stores. I’ve bought a lot of media recently from mediamegamall.com

Silver lacquer discs are less expensive because they’re easier / cheaper to make. They’re fine as long as you’re okay labeling them with a Sharpie. If you want to print discs then you need printable discs.[/QUOTE]

As I said in my post, I can find them for US$1.10 per disc… at the internet, considering the shipping costs, I can get them for US$0.56 per disc.

I think I might buy a couple of TYs locally for testing.

I heard there were Maxells that were actually rebranded TYs. I’m gonna look for these. I don’t need 100 CDs (seems to be the only amount of TYs I can find).

I’m looking into some Verbatim DataLife Plus as well, but I’ll probably go for the TYs.

Unless they say they’re made in Japan they’re not TY. AFAIK, Maxell hasn’t used TY to make their discs in years.

I’m looking into some Verbatim DataLife Plus as well, but I’ll probably go for the TYs.

Verbatim DataLife Plus CD-Rs are not very good blanks. There’s a lot of variability between them. I burned through a spindle and found them to be all over the place. At best they’re decent, at worst they’re worse than cheapo media like Ritek discs that are like $7 for 50.

We’ve had good purchases from those three stores you listed. Plus, we’ve used
Meritline COM which claims all kinds of worldwide shipping. Just be cautioned that some products are shipped from China so delivery times can be extraordinary.

As for burning issues, can you do Burns with no other activity on the computer? No other programs running except normal background services from Windows? I want to eliminate all “distractions” that my burner might use!

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2701909]We’ve had good purchases from those three stores you listed. Plus, we’ve used
Meritline COM which claims all kinds of worldwide shipping. Just be cautioned that some products are shipped from China so delivery times can be extraordinary.

As for burning issues, can you do Burns with no other activity on the computer? No other programs running except normal background services from Windows? I want to eliminate all “distractions” that my burner might use![/QUOTE]

Well, I can… I can even boot Linux only to do so… You think I should try? I can’t see, from a software POV, why this would have any influence since I usually burn from a very speedy disk, buffer never goes down and my PC is a very capable machine (an i5-2400, 16GB of RAM, 1 SSD, 3 HDDs, mainly used to run VMs and do my research on parallelizing software)

It seems unlikely that PC software loading is causing your burn problems, but anything is possible.

Hell yea

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2701909]We’ve had good purchases from those three stores you listed. Plus, we’ve used

As for burning issues, can you do Burns with no other activity on the computer? No other programs running except normal background services from Windows? I want to eliminate all “distractions” that my burner might use![/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, They don’t ship media here

Bhphotovideo.com does, but for 88 dollars… not including taxes.

It seems supermediastore does as well, but for free.

EDIT: Well… I understand why there’s no TYs here… the price is just too insane… US$220,00 for 100 TY CD-Rs…

Thanks for the note on MERITLINE - they even have the cute little Brazilian flag, saying they ship there. I guess they need to trim it a bit - “we don’t ship EVERYTHING” - like any heavy item. Grrr.

As for software loading affecting burns, I remember that GOOD Laser Burning must be done perfectly, absolutely zero error in mechanism, in data-thru-put, in electrical fluctuations, etc. What part of This Perfect Planet do you live in? I remove every possibility for my machines to have any reason to be distracted or interrupted.

I need to find that Falcon (FTI) sales rep’s email and ask him who the South American rep is.

Would you mind posting links to your local e-tailers here? (Yes, in Portugese is fine.)

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2702311]I need to find that Falcon (FTI) sales rep’s email and ask him who the South American rep is.
[/QUOTE]

http://www.falconrak.com/contact/contact_us.php (fred.perez falconrak .ae)

That’s it! “Dear Fred - Brazil is hosting the Olympics, y’know… they might have a good reason to have optic-disk consumption for archival purposes!!”

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2702320]That’s it! “Dear Fred - Brazil is hosting the Olympics, y’know… they might have a good reason to have optic-disk consumption for archival purposes!!”[/QUOTE]

I don’t think they’d think CD-Rs when you say “Archival”. Anyway, Brazilians are mostly ignorants. Most people try to argue with me when I say the brand of the discs is almost always not the real manufacturer of the disc.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2702311]Thanks for the note on MERITLINE - they even have the cute little Brazilian flag, saying they ship there. I guess they need to trim it a bit - “we don’t ship EVERYTHING” - like any heavy item. Grrr.

As for software loading affecting burns, I remember that GOOD Laser Burning must be done perfectly, absolutely zero error in mechanism, in data-thru-put, in electrical fluctuations, etc. What part of This Perfect Planet do you live in? I remove every possibility for my machines to have any reason to be distracted or interrupted.

I need to find that Falcon (FTI) sales rep’s email and ask him who the South American rep is.

Would you mind posting links to your local e-tailers here? (Yes, in Portugese is fine.)[/QUOTE]

I can post, of course.

Here are some:
www.americanas.com.br
www.submarino.com.br
www.kalunga.com.br
www.kabum.com.br
www.megamamute.com.br
www.techcd.com.br > I plan on buying the TYs from these guys

There are more, of course.

The reasor for them not shipping the CD-Rs here is that they (Meritline) ship those from the US warehouse instead of the HK one. BHPhotoVideo charges me US$88,00 to ship here and more US$100,00 in taxes. Gotta love my government.

I can get the discs at eBay. A 25-pack ia about US$11.95, plus US$27.00 to ship them here. But in the end it would cost more than buying them here. I guess I have no coice other than spend more money than I would have liked to.

Honestly, guys, I’m starting giving up the possibility of getting those TYs. Another option would be to get an used PS1. The PS1 is notoriously less sensitive to media quality than the PS2. We used to burn games for it using any media, back in the day, so I think I might just get one (they sell for as little as US$25.00 here) and play my PS1 games on it instead of using my PS2.

Last night I was trying some older PS1 games I have lying around and my PS2 had no problem reading a Plasmon disc, which had a more silver-ish color than the green ones I’m used to. Almost like a pressed CD. Maybe I can get my hands on some of these. It seems they retail for U$0.40 per disc here.

I have accepted that ALL disk blanks can deteriorate, chemically. And I accept that they’d do it at THEIR speeds, not mine.

So, if it’s 3 months or 10 years or more, it’s mostly up to them.

One strategy I’ve adopted is, “OK, I believe they won’t all deteriorate uniformly, so I’ll make a backup set one week, and another set a week or a month later, and hopefully use a different batch of disks.”

There is no absolute certainty with TY, with Falcon or anything else. Storing copies of the files on a hard-drive is another component of my Best Backup Strategy.

Throw in a 3rd copy much later on, and I’ve got about as much assurance as I can hope for. This way, I can use less expensive disks - using three of them - instead of a single Great Disk that might be much more expensive anyway.

What’s the best backup strategy? “There are no guarantees. More copies are better than less.”

(THANKS FOR THE SHOPPING LINKS…)

It’s not only the brand of disc you have to worry about, the speed in which you burn it is also something to experiment with.

I usually start at half the rated burning speed and work up from there to find a good burn speed for the particular disc that i am using.

I’ve tried every speed my burner supports for CD-Rs: 16x, 24x, 32x, 40x and 48x. Burning with my mom’s Samsung has mixed results…

My ISOs are OK and my PS2 is used to run some games it doesn’t run now. It reads pressed CDs and a Plasmon CD-R I had lying around with ease. The disc barely starts spinning when it has already detected the type and booted in the proper mode. I don’t know why it’s having problems with these CMCs.

It’s the second PS2 I see having trouble with these discs. Mine used to read them, my friend’s never did. Now my PS2 has started not reading them too. But it reads the Plasmon and pressed CDs.

I have so many PS1 games that re-burning them in a different media might cost more than buying a PSOne, something I’m considering to do.

CD-R and DVD recordable discs are too heavy for international shipping. Meritline’s TY BD-R 6x costs under US$0.8 per disc. Cheaper than your local TY CD-R. Even that US$0.8 is ridiculously expensive for 25GB write-once.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2702573]CD-R and DVD recordable discs are too heavy for international shipping. Meritline’s TY BD-R 6x costs under US$0.8 per disc. Cheaper than your local TY CD-R. Even that US$0.8 is ridiculously expensive for 25GB write-once.[/QUOTE]

They’re not. The problem is TYs are shipped only from the USA. Were they shipped from Hong Kong they’d even have free shipping.

Dx.com ships pretty heavy stuff for free or cheap.

I ordered from there:
Two Nintendo DS Lite
Two sets of protective films for DSL screens
A RC mini helicopter
Two Wii controllers
A Wii steering wheel
Lanterns, and many more things

I own only one DSL and the protective films. The other items were for a friend. I got free shipping plus tracking. It arrived in three weeks. No taxes at all.

I ordered some TY discs (DVD+Rs) from mediasupply and they’re very good as far as I can tell. I don’t know how to prove that they’re authentic, but I’m as convinced as I ever can be that they are. Everything about the packaging/markings is as expected and the burns are very good.

My only complaint is that, in my opinion, JVC doesn’t pack their discs very well inside spindles. There’s no spacers to hold the discs in place, so they can bounce around in the spindle. I saw somebody else complain of this before I ordered mine, and I saw the same thing. This is TY/JVCs fault, it’s not something the seller can do anything about (they’d have to break the seal to add spacers).
Perhaps a better option is to order the discs that are shrink wrapped instead. I never liked that packaging style, but maybe in TY’s case it’s the way to go. TY’s spindles seem really cheap and flimsy anyway, like the cheapest spindles they could possibly source.

One of my spindles also had a cracked lid, so it may have been jammed into the box a little too tight or had a collision with something.

I can’t comment on the international shipping issues, I have no idea about that. But if you order any TYs from anybody, I’d go with shrink wrap. If you like spindles, transfer to your own after they arrive.

[QUOTE=shamino;2702586]I ordered some TY discs (DVD+Rs) from mediasupply and they’re very good as far as I can tell. I don’t know how to prove that they’re authentic, but I’m as convinced as I ever can be that they are. Everything about the packaging/markings is as expected and the burns are very good.

My only complaint is that, in my opinion, JVC doesn’t pack their discs very well inside spindles. There’s no spacers to hold the discs in place, so they can bounce around in the spindle. I saw somebody else complain of this before I ordered mine, and I saw the same thing. This is TY/JVCs fault, it’s not something the seller can do anything about (they’d have to break the seal to add spacers).
Perhaps a better option is to order the discs that are shrink wrapped instead. I never liked that packaging style, but maybe in TY’s case it’s the way to go. TY’s spindles seem really cheap and flimsy anyway, like the cheapest spindles they could possibly source.

One of my spindles also had a cracked lid, so it may have been jammed into the box a little too tight or had a collision with something.

I can’t comment on the international shipping issues, I have no idea about that. But if you order any TYs from anybody, I’d go with shrink wrap. If you like spindles, transfer to your own after they arrive.[/QUOTE]

Remember “CD Sam”? He told me several years ago that TY had stopped using adequate spacers in the cake boxes, & it was indeed causing problems.

Per my thread directly above this one (as of this momet), I just ordered a tape wrap batch of TY + pro’s & they were much worse then the last Cake without spacers I bought! (sigh)…