True or False (about booktype)

vbimport

I think you can even change the booktype field on dvd+r/rw media to read as DVD-R (I’ve never done this but think I saw somewhere where it can be done.

I’ve read that off another forum trying to better understand booktyping (bitsetting).

False. The + media can only be bitset to DVD-ROM , not -R.

Can you show any proff or documentation of that.

My gut reaction would be, no reason why it couldn’t be done - but no reason why it would be, and no reason for any software or firmware to support doing it.

True.

With NEC drives (and some NEC compatibles), you can use the binflash utility to set the booktype of your DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL media to DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R-DL (I have never tried that, because I don’t see any reason to do so apart from DVD-ROM bitsetting, as matth pointed out).

From the website:

The following command is used to set the default booktype for DVD+R to DVD-ROM:
C:>necflash -setbt DVD+R DVD-ROM perm 1.0.0
For DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R-DL you can set the booktype to DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R-DL. Instead of using perm you may also use temp if you just want to use the temporary settings that only last until the next drive reset. (This feature is not supported by every firmware)

Regards,

ET

Well, maybe I was mistaken.
Just never seen any of the software I use giving that option or heard of it before.

Why on earth would you WANT to set the booktype to DVD-R? That wouldn’t HELP you any.

Maybe for older dvdplayer that can only read DVD-ROM or booktype DVD-R? Maybe… not sure.

Just for fun, here’s YUDEN000T02 DVD+R booktyped to DVD-R. It works on my burners and Pioneer dvdplayer. Offcourse the Pioneer dvdplayer can read everything, so not sure if this will even work with “older” dvdplayer mentioned above.