Troubleshooting Question

Good evening everyone,

Obviously I’m new to these forums, which by the way are done very nicely! Also, I’m a DVD burning NooB as well.

I recently started using DVDFab (any feedback regarding my choice would be appreciated).

Anyway, I was attempting to burn Season 1 disc 1 of The Sopranos. DVDFab read the DVD just fine. I had to split the episodes to fit on my 4.7 GB discs. So the excellent split feature worked great and I was able to split the DVD into two separate discs; two episodes on each.

DVDFab successfully split the discs, but when the write process was about to begin, it ejected my DVD and said to insert media. I tried simply sending the DVD back into the drive several times, but it still wouldn’t read.

Is this something on my end?

And, currently I’m using Sony 4.7GB DVD-R’s. I read the many great articles pertaining to the superiority of DVD+R’s, and plan on switching. Is Sony a good brand? And will my DVD-R’s “suffice” for the time being?

Any help and suggestions would be great :bow:

Thanks in advance for getting this noob up and running.

Wildcat out.

Hi -Wildcat-, welcome :slight_smile:

DVDFab is a fine choice IMO :iagree:…as are the Sony discs (although the very best would be Verbatim). DVD-Rs should do you just fine.

Do you have any virtual drive/emulation software (such as Alcohol or Daemon Tools) installed on your PC? If so, a setting may need changing in one of them (if they are present, no uninstall should be necessary, at least for the moment).

Thankyou also for your kind words about the forum. :slight_smile:

Edit: forgot to ask - what’s the make and model of your burner, and what speed are the Sony discs rated at?

If you wish to burn them manually, take a look in my signature.

Thanks for the reply Arachne, and you’re welcome. Nothing better than a well put-together board.

In response to your question, I do have an emulator on-board, Daemon Tools Lite. I would have never thought it would cause an issue, but after reading your post, I looked down and sure enough it was running in my taskbar (starts on boot).

I suppose I should try it again after shutting Daemon off. But as for the settings, do you know any specific ones that may be interfering?

Oh, and I’m using a dated factory DVD drive that came off my Dell XPS two years ago that I salvaged when I built my own rig. TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-H653A SCSI

Hmm, a wildcat and Arachne in the same thread. Isn’t that redundant? :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forums Wildcat. I’m not a DVDFab user, but which burning engine in DVDFab are you using? Many around here seem to prefer ImgBurn instead of the VSO option. If you are not familiar with it, ImgBurn is an excellent, free burning program, which you can find here: www.imgburn.com

[QUOTE=-Wildcat-;2409769]Thanks for the reply Arachne, and you’re welcome. Nothing better than a well put-together board.

In response to your question, I do have an emulator on-board, Daemon Tools Lite. I would have never thought it would cause an issue, but after reading your post, I looked down and sure enough it was running in my taskbar (starts on boot).

I suppose I should try it again after shutting Daemon off. But as for the settings, do you know any specific ones that may be interfering?

Oh, and I’m using a dated factory DVD drive that came off my Dell XPS two years ago that I salvaged when I built my own rig. TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-H653A SCSI[/QUOTE]

OK, this might be worth a shot :wink: - go into Daemon Tools’ settings, and look for an option called either “Hide CDR media” or “Hide ATIP” - make sure it’s unchecked. If that doesn’t help, try disabling all of DT’s emulation options.

That’s not a bad drive BTW, although it might be dated. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2409771]Hmm, a wildcat and Arachne in the same thread. Isn’t that redundant? :)[/QUOTE]

Hehehe :bigsmile:

LOL Kerry!

I’m actually not sure which engine I’m using. I installed the VSO with DVDFab, but wouldn’t mind trying ImgBurn. I assume I need to select which engine to use in DVDFab?

[QUOTE=Arachne;2409774]OK, this might be worth a shot :wink: - go into Daemon Tools’ settings, and look for an option called either “Hide CDR media” or “Hide ATIP” - make sure it’s unchecked. If that doesn’t help, try disabling all of DT’s emulation options.

That’s not a bad drive BTW, although it might be dated. :slight_smile:

Hehehe :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Arachne. I just went ahead and shut down all of Daemon’s emulation options, and exited the program. I’m going to give it another shot, while killing some people in CoD4. I’ve got a Q6600 overclocked to a stable 3.4GHZ/Core, so It shouldn’t interfere with the burn.

Crosses fingers (or paws) :wink:

Well, she failed again. I’m posting a screenshot of what it actually looked like. If anyone has any other suggestion regarding software, etc, feel free to speak up. As I said earlier, I’m a complete noob when it comes to this; it’s my Achilles Heel with PC’s. :rolleyes:

Try the latest version here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-6-0-4-0-out-296608/

Go into common settings & change Pathplayer to always enabled. Check mark top right hand corner. BTW that is the ripping part, DvdFab is analyzing the disc unless my old eyes deceive me.

Try having it output as files to the hard drive. I believe you change the target to a folder on the hard drive. Then try to burn the dvd-video manually with ImgBurn.

Follow Beef’s guide here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86750

If it fails, post the burn log from ImgBurn. It is easy to find, all you have to do is click on Help–>ImgBurn Logs.

Edit: Follow Beef’s instructions first. He knows more about the program than I. See if that solves it before trying my instructions.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2409810]Try having it output as files to the hard drive. I believe you change the target to a folder on the hard drive. Then try to burn the dvd-video manually with ImgBurn. [/QUOTE]

Should I just assign it any target in my hard drive? I don’t know much about ripping/burning DVD’s, but it seems the input (i.e. ‘e’ drive) is the culprit here. It reads the disc perfectly well when analyzing/splitting the episodes up, then fails to read that the same DVD is still in the drive.

And you’re right Beef, it does the analyzing/splitting without a hitch. The issue is when it comes to burning. It just ignores that there’s a perfectly good DVD in the drive, and pretty much tells me I have nothing in there. But, I’ll try the settings.

Oh, would my system specs help at all?

Edit: Kerry. How do I select the ImgBurn as the default engine? This thread has been a little hectic!

Just make a folder on the hdd with whatever name you want as the target. You’ll get a Video_TS folder within it if Fab successfully finishes the job.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2409828]Just make a folder on the hdd with whatever name you want as the target. You’ll get a Video_TS folder within it if Fab successfully finishes the job.[/QUOTE]

That seems good and well, but Fab won’t even recognize that I have the correct DVD in the drive. Without an ‘input’ there would be no file save, right? Weird eh? (and no, I’m not from Canada, rather Kansas City!)

To select ImgBurn as the burning engine, click on the green ✔ at the top to get to the settings. Then under DVD Write, you will see the options for burning.

You may have something else interfering. Would you mind doing a test burn outside of DVDFab, using ImgBurn? Just a data burn to see if the drive is functioning properly.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2409832]To select ImgBurn as the burning engine, click on the green ✔ at the top to get to the settings. Then under DVD Write, you will see the options for burning.

You may have something else interfering. Would you mind doing a test burn outside of DVDFab, using ImgBurn? Just a data burn to see if the drive is functioning properly.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. However I’ll have to do so tomorrow. This old bastage is getting sleepy. I’ll post the results tomorrow? Goodnight fellas.

Rats, sorry to hear changing the DT settings failed! :doh:

But since DVDFab just seems to work for me as-is (even using the VSO burning engine), I’m not too good about troubleshotting the program. The others are though, so you’re in good hands :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2409832]
You may have something else interfering. Would you mind doing a test burn outside of DVDFab, using ImgBurn? Just a data burn to see if the drive is functioning properly.[/QUOTE]

I’m still thinking that may be the case too. So a test burn with something else is a really good suggestion Kerry :iagree:

I’ll definitely try a data burn when I get home this evening to ensure my drive is functioning properly. Thanks for all the great help guys.

In the meanwhile, what other DVD decrypting/burning software is available that is user-friendly and favored by the community? I’d like the software to have the split functionality of DVDFab, so I can fit the data onto the 4.7GB DVD’s.

Thanks again! :clap:

I think Kerry56 sort of suggested this .Download ImgBurn by itself from the ImgBurn site.
Then use ImgBurn by itself.
Select the VIDEO_TS folder created by DVDFab .
Select Mode/Build & build the Video_TS folder to the blank disc.
btw if you created an .iso with DVDFab instead then you could use ImgBurn write mode.
This should at least test if it is a problem with the burning drive or your OS recognizing this drive.