Troubleshooting DVD1648/AAP - not AOpen?

I’m building a new system and wanted to add a DVD player. I have a drive that I recently got along with some other stuff, so I tried it first. The model number is DVD1648/AAP PRO. Online searches show this as an AOpen drive but this one has no AOpen labeling.

In one system, CDs used for software installation worked fine, but the drive didn’t recognize any DVD under PowerDVD 5. Under WinDVD 2000, it would play the sound choppily, but with no video.

I put it in a different tower to test, installed WinDVD, same result - it would play the sound choppily, but with no video.

In checking the firmware, I found version 102G. I downloaded versions 1.04, 1.05, 1.06 & 1.07 from the AOpen site and trying to flash using each gave an error message that the firmware doesn’t match my drive.

I’m out of ideas. I’m wondering if I have a rebadged drive of some kind or if it’s just dead/dying when it comes to DVDs.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

102G has nothing to do with 1.04 etc!

You have an OEM drive.

I was afraid of something like that. Is there anything I can do? I doubt Dell is going to have DVD player firmware updates, but I could be wrong…

Hi,

“broken” DVD playback may either be related to software issues (try VLC to sort that out), to bad discs, or to the drive running in PIO mode. Make sure, DMA mode is enabled: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

Also make sure, proper chipset and video drivers are installed.

Michael