Trouble with samsung sdg-605b (xbox drive)

I’m sitting here with my xbox open, my samsung xbox drive connected to my computer IDE cable, and powered off the xbox…

I have tried inserting 2 original Xbox games into the drive, both come back only showing a “DVD movie folder” with the .VoB’s.

I have inserted a copied (xISO’d) game into the drive, and it says its corrupt.

I have inserted an original of “The Matrix” movie and its fine.

I have inserted an original PC game and its also fine.

So im wondering, why does it act exactly like a normal DVD-rom drive when in a Computer?
And is there any way around this?

Originally posted by Yavimaya
So im wondering, why does it act exactly like a normal DVD-rom drive when in a Computer?
And is there any way around this?

Because it IS a normal dvd-rom drive ?

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
Because it IS a normal dvd-rom drive ?

perhaps it is when it comes down to it, but its definetaly made for/changed for the xbox, and it has special firmware… shouldnt it be the firmware of the samsung that tells it what it can see? not windows?

It is possible if you have a special firmware for the PC (AFAIK i doesnot exist) . The periphals are the same but the problem is that the firmware rejects any pc other than the xbox. But why would you even bother trying to hook it up ot your pc as since dvd-drives are quite cheap these days.

mzzl

Why not?
2 HDD in the Xbox, Xbox cd rom in my computer, its the perfect setup :stuck_out_tongue:
and fun…

Originally posted by Yavimaya
perhaps it is when it comes down to it, but its definetaly made for/changed for the xbox, and it has special firmware… shouldnt it be the firmware of the samsung that tells it what it can see? not windows?

Not necessarily. If the I/O controller of the Xbox motherboard doesn’t follow the MPC , MPCII or MPCIII standards , you could read things with basic hardware , which normally are unreadable. The operating system , firmware and the media itself are also part of this.

Examples :

You can’t read a Xbox-ISO standard in Microsoft Windows XP , but a Xbox can read DVD’s same as Windows XP can.
You can’t read a Linux partition in Microsoft Windows XP either , but most Linux distributions can read NTFS , FAT and FAT32 without blinking an eye.

There are however some tools , that are able to read Xbox media. See www.xbox-scene.com for more information.