Trouble with dual booting XP and Windows7

vbimport

Hi,
One of my friends told me about this problem:
He had XP SP3 and wanted to install Win7 on another partition. XP was on Drive C, and ‘I’ was destined to be where he wanted Win 7 to go. But while installing, he put the Win7 disc in the drive, and restarted the machine… He allowed the computer to boot into the disc. What happened was, Win7 was installed alright, but he didn’t get a dual boot system. The boot selection menu doesn’t show up, and the computer boots into Win7 automatically. It became the default OS. And ‘I’ was renames as ‘C’.

The original C drive and its contents are still there intact, only it got a new Drive letter, ‘D’.

What can he do to get things normal again? Much thanks.

Tell your friend I think he messed up, and overwrote his C:. I have never created a Dual Boot System, but there are lot’s of information on how to do this. You have to create a Partition first, and then make sure you use that new Partition with the Windows 7 Custom (Advance) Installation. XP doesn’t have a built in Partitioning Tool, so you have to get a Third Party Software. All he could do now is start all over and do it right, but if he had anything important he will have to use Recovery Software. That D: that he sees is probably his Recovery Partition. :cool:

No, he selected the right partition - Drive I, which was actually a separate HDD…The original C drive is intact… Only it is renamed.

Okay, it sounds like he installed Windows 7 on a different HDD, and XP is on a HDD alone. He needs a Boot Menu. If he had followed directions one would have been created. It has to be done in a certain way. Anyway, now he needs a Boot Menu. Tell him to download and try EasyBCD, this will create the Boot Menu he needs. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2600775]Okay, it sounds like he installed Windows 7 on a different HDD, and XP is on a HDD alone. He needs a Boot Menu. If he had followed directions one would have been created. It has to be done in a certain way. Anyway, now he needs a Boot Menu. Tell him to download and try EasyBCD, this will create the Boot Menu he needs. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks for that excellent suggestion. The Boot Menu is created, and both XP and Win7 can now be accessed without any problems. But now there is something else:

Depending on how you log in, you see different drive letters for the same drives.
The C in XP is D in Win7
The C in Win 7 is I in XP, and in Win7 Cd drive gets the letter I.
Drive H in XP is E in Win7. You see, they are all rearranged.
Is there any problem with that? Do they need to look the same? If yes, how can we do that? Or should we hide some of the drives from seeing each other?
Should we remove the drive letters of the appropriate drives (D in Win7 and I in XP)? Or should we just leave them there, as they are?
Again, thanks a lot for helping.

I’m glad you are almost there, at least you can Boot up from both OS. Like I said, I have never had a need for Dual Boot, but I do know a lot about loading Windows OS. Those Drive Letters are assigned as you load the OS, so that is why you need to follow the loading guidelines. Check the Link below, it’s a Dual Boot Forum. You might have to reload the OS’s to get the right Drive Letters. :cool:

As I said, both the OSs work perfectly now. There is the Boot Menu, and there are no issues whatsoever. The only problem(if that is a problem) is that the drive letters are different for the same drives in each OS. Is anything needs to be done?

The only problems I see are loading and running Programs, because they are loaded into certain locations. So if an old Program doesn’t work you will have to direct it to the right location or reload it. It sounds like everything else is working fine, so I guess just try it out and see how it works. :cool:

Well, I am afraid I didn’t quite get you on that point…
Anyway, everything is working properly. I tried running several programs on both the OS, they all loaded well. So let wait and see.
You took a lot of time and effort to answer my questions. Much appreciated…

the drive letters are always going to change based on which OS is booted.

Because the simple rule is that the active OS drive will always be C

Frankly I had a functioning dual-boot setup between Win7Pro and VistaHome-prem both 64bit.

The “issue” I had with it was that it would always hang on a black screen and ask which OS I wanted booted (no time-out) and dismounting one drive made BOTH non-functional

I then went back to the way Ive always done multi-OS computer setups.
Seperate drives in removeable drawers but only ONE drawer mounting tray in the computer case so only one OS drive would be physically mounted at any given time.

Yes this involved shutting down swapping the drives and restarting but that only added 10-15seconds over a simple reboot, but without the inconvenience of having only one bootloader serving multiple OS installations.

AD