Trouble with Catch me if you can

I am trying to back up my copy of “catch me if you can”, the program stops burning at the same volume which is vol_4 _23 every time ,also it stops playing on my pc at the exact same spot.The dvd is new and will play fine in my stand alone dvd player,wondering if any one has had same problem with this dvd.

Regards jamesr

>stops playing on my pc at the exact same spot

The orginal?

yes it is the original that stops.
Regards jamesr

what region is it, what writer/reader do you use to play/burn it?

I’ve successfully backed up the uk version region 2 of this film. It works perfectly in all my stand alone players and my computers.

i used the latest versions of anydvd and clonedvd with my liteon 165-h to read and my pioneer 106d to write

Maybe the original is defective? I have taken back one new DVD previously due to a manufacturing fault and I replaced disc 2 of Prince of Persia today because of a defect on the edge of the disc.

I am using a Liteon 411S with the latest firmware fsof and anydvd with clonedvd,it is a region 4 disk.Also i gave it to a friend to try as he has much the same setup as i have and he had the same problem. I was thinking it may be a faulty disk but then again it plays in the JVC stand alone player? Many thanks for the replys.
Regards jamesr

I am in Aus, using a Lite-On LDW-411S (FS0H firmware) and am also having trouble with “Catch Me If You Can”.

I’m using original, region 2,4 discs, in fact I’ve tried two copies, and both exibit the same problem. A few other boards are showing signs of people with the same issues, but I’m yet to find a cure.

50% of the way through the disc, or 30% of the way through VTS_01_4.VOB, you get unrecoverable read errors, when using the 411S, however the disc plays fine in all my stand alone players, a vLink PDV-104, a Denver, and an Omni.

I’ve tried disabling AnyDVD, as it was suggested that it might be a region setting problem which I thought AnyDVD might be interfering with, but this hasn’t resolved the issue.

I have tried using DVDShrink, DVD Decrypter, DVDFab, Smart Ripper, DVD Toolbox, Nero Recode, and they’re all having problems at the same point.

I’ve tried fiddling with the settings in the CSS panel of DVD Decrypter, and trust me, I’ve tried them all, including forcing a specific key, and this none of this makes any difference.

I’ve even tried a straight cut and paste from the disc to the HDD folder, but I get CRC errors.

Has anyone resolved this issue yet?

Has anyone heard of anything similar on any other discs?

Has anyone got any ideas of anything else I could try, because I’ve run out of ideas myself.

100% copied using CLONEDVD & ANYDVD on an AO5 no problems.

:bow:

Originally posted by Steveredrum
100% copied using CLONEDVD & ANYDVD on an AO5 no problems.

Which region was the disc you successfully copied?

I’m trying to figure out if this is a problem with region 2 & 4 discs that is not apparent with region 1 discs, or if it’s a problem with the 411S that is not happening with other drives.

No problems here.
Using DVD Shrink 3.1.4 / Nero 6.3.0.0 w/ Lite-On 411s FS0F
Region 1 (US) disk

That’s what I thought. It appears to be a problem with Region 2 & 4 discs.

I have done region4 version without any problems.

Used a Pioneer 106D firmware 1.07

Originally posted by bpm
That’s what I thought. It appears to be a problem with Region 2 & 4 discs.

My UK version is region 2 and it works perfectly…

Used my ltd 165-h to read and my pioneer 106d to write

Ok, so is it…

Region 2 & Region 4 discs in Lite-On LDW 411S drives that are having the problem?

Or is it…

Combination region 2/4 discs that are having the problem?

Originally posted by FutureProof
Maybe the original is defective? I have taken back one new DVD previously due to a manufacturing fault and I replaced disc 2 of Prince of Persia today because of a defect on the edge of the disc.

With what has been said I think FP may have hit his head upon the nail [:D] as usual.

Originally posted by bpm
[B]Ok, so is it…

Region 2 & Region 4 discs in Lite-On LDW 411S drives that are having the problem?

Or is it…

Combination region 2/4 discs that are having the problem? [/B]
Many Aussie R4 discs are actually R2/4, non-RCE, non-RPC1. Early days testing with CloneDVD revealed many, many problems with mastering. Just ask Mike Wege at elby - he’s sick of my emails :slight_smile: and doesn’t talk to me anymore. Critical mastering faults are a fact of life because they aren’t meant to be copied (just played by increasingly forgiving DVD players) but many early players couldn’t play them either. I sold my 1998 model Toshi set-top because it couldn’t cope with the ‘gold’ originals that suddenly appeared, or CD-R/W discs, let alone DVD recordables. I think the golds were an early form of physical protection that backfired - just my opinion, though.

Take something like DVD Decrypter, it’s just about bullet proof but you have to know what you’re doing: a little about IFOs, errors and program chains; no doubt though, if you like this crap, it’s your program. I use it for .ISOs when I have the drive space.

CloneDVD on the other hand is built to be fool-proof. If I have to click more than three times, a program is wasting my time. I use it for transcoding. It takes into account every possible problem (as we find them!). Due in part to my 150+ disc collection, and others with similar collections or problematic titles, who relentlessly teted and tested, trying to find blind alleys as buttons were clicked. Greek Wedding, X-Men and others were so badly mastered that armin was full time on relaxing IFO restrictions and trying to understand the fools who put this shit together.

New DVD set-tops are very tolerant of mastering errors and these days Australia has a AUD$68 DVD player available from Dick Smith Electronics that plays anything. In USD$ that’s about fifty bucks - not bad. I have one and it plays under water; it plays discs that won’t play anywhere else.

R2/4 discs, no doubt, have the most problems and all PAL and SECAM more widely. It’s because R1 fools have to put it together. PAL is superior to NTSC (please don’t PM me over this since there’s no such thing as a PAL or NTSC DVD - talk in frequencies, please), and the issues stem from this.

It reminds me that we have no flippers in Oz since we don’t mind a layer break unlike North Americans who hate it - it’s second only to quality issues in threads. Ever read about a Commonwealth-man (Aussie, K1W1, brit, Malaysian, Nigerian, hehe) complaining about the layer break? I certainly wouldn’t buy a flipper such as the ‘aboots’ and septics put up with on Gangs of NY. Flip a DVD over? Puh-leeeze!

Originally posted by FutureProof
Many Aussie R4 discs are actually R2/4, non-RCE, non-RPC1. Early days testing with CloneDVD revealed many, many problems with mastering.

Ok, so what’s the answer? Was there one in that informative post? Are you saying that Clone DVD will work, because I’ve tried it and it didn’t. Or are you saying that there’s nothing we can do because it’s a mastering error.

Originally posted by bpm
Ok, so what’s the answer?

I think that FP is saying that it’s a mastering error and thus you’re stuck. At least that’s how I read it.

BTW, what happened to your previous post. I was just about to reply when it told me I had an invalid link…! :confused:

Originally posted by Orinoco
BTW, what happened to your previous post. I was just about to reply when it told me I had an invalid link…! :confused:
Your post quoted an earlier post of FP’s, and appeared before FP’s most recent post. I assumed based on those things, that you were referring to the old post, and I took issue with what you were saying. Once I saw FP’s latest post I thought you must have been talking about that, and had probably misquoted the old post, and that made my post redundant, so I deleted it.

Originally posted by bpm
Ok, so what’s the answer? Was there one in that informative post? Are you saying that Clone DVD will work, because I’ve tried it and it didn’t. Or are you saying that there’s nothing we can do because it’s a mastering error.

To summarize it: R4 DVDs often show mastering errors. Armin usually tries hard to find workarounds for such problem discs, but in case of Region 4 discs this is a little difficult to get these discs in Europe.

All I want to say: I will try to get my hands on such a disc… but don’t expect a solution soon, sorry.