Trouble with a Liteon SOHW 1213S

vbimport

Recently built a new computer, and moved over my Liteon SOHW 1213S burner to it. I wasn’t having trouble, until I had to format the hard drive. Now all of a sudden, it will burn CD’s (As far as i can tell), but can not read any discs. For instance, when i try to install a game, it will take a very long time to autorun, and then will just hang up attempting to install. It seems that it is having trouble reading from the disc, and the drive is making an insane ammount of noise like it is spinning very fast.

Comp Specs: (just in case)
MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
AMD 64bit 3000+
1gig Kingston DDR

I did have a virtual drive installed from Alcohol 120%, but I removed it and it still will not work. I have tried having it read both CD’s and DVD’s, and still no luck. I have upgraded the firmware to the highest version i could find for it on Liteon’s website.

Any help is very appreciated.

do you have any nvidia ide drivers or winxp sp2 installed?
you can upgrade your drive to 1653s with patched CS09 firmware from codeguys site.

Yes I have SP2 for WinXP. And I may have installed the Nvidia IDE drivers… i’m not sure if i did that post format or not. Either way, I do have the CD for it… but of course i can’t get it to read it.

What would you suggest I do?

the problem could be the drivers, just deinstall them so the system takes the standart microsoft ones. or it could be the service pack2.
you should also disable the windows internal cdvd writing module. (imapi service)
sometimes packet writing software (Ahead InCD) is causing problems, too.

Ok i checked, the nforce ide drivers are no installed.
I really can’t get rid of SP2… having security troubles on my college network.
How do I disable windows internal cdvd writing module?
I have nero smartstart that came on a cd with the burner. As far as i know InCD isn’t on, but i’ll keep looking.

to disable burning service goto (i don’t know how it’s named in english windows, must be something like that) system control -> administration -> services, then right-click on “imapi-…-burning…” and choose disable.

what about updating the MB bios?

Bios as udated as I can get it, v1.4, at least as far as i know.

The imapi burning service was already disabled.

hmm you’re right,that’s the latest version…
does the drive work OK when the pc is not booted to win?just try to boot from it (i mean the winxp install cd).the noise issue you described looks more like the drive’s hw problem…

Yep… It’s gotta be Windows. I’m able to boot from the windows CD perfectly.
I installed the Nforce drivers… and it seemed like it was going to help for a minute… but it didn’t.

I guess it has to be SP2. I guess I can uninstall it, if it won’t cause too much trouble on my computer. Will just have to find a free firewall to use in place of it. (EDIT): Plus that could be hard to do with System Restore disabled on the computer…

What are yall’s ideas on the matter?

hmm i just wonder why would sp2 cause problems with reading cds… :confused:

try to upgrade your firmware before messing around with windows.

Actually handled it. I looked around and found a Windows Support item about it. I changed the Ata/atapi interface so that it would change settings to the device to what the BIOS wanted it at.

Thanks for your help though.

I to am having problems with a Liteon 1213S However Mine refuses to read any cds what so ever claiming that there is no media present. It also doent work on my main machine, Ive updated the firmware to TS0D but to no avil.
Rig 2
Athon 800
512MB RAM
120GB HD
XP Pro SP1

Main Rig
Athon 2200+
512MbRam
120GB Hd
XP pro SP1

My 1213 is @1653 with CSOM. Works very well.

Actually handled it. I looked around and found a Windows Support item about it. I changed the Ata/atapi interface so that it would change settings to the device to what the BIOS wanted it at.

Thanks for your help though.

¿How did you do that?, i have the same trouble.

you can upgrade your 1213s to a 1653s with the patched CS0P firmware: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHW-1653S