Trouble using WinX DVD Platinum

I know its an old thread, but this was the only one i could find on the net specifically bringing up this problem. Im copying tv series with 99 title protection, ive figured out a workaround to know which titles to select to rip the individual episodes by themselves, but does anyone know a way to turn the popup off? Ripping 8 to 9 episodes a disk, and have ~200 disks to go through for all my series that im copyingand its annoying to keep hitting this button each time.

1 Like

Structural protection has been around for along time now so all the modern programs should be able to cope with it unless this is some new variant that requires an update.

Are the discs you’re trying to rip recent releases?

1 Like

Yes, mostly tv seasons with dvd releases since abt 2010. I dont need an update to the program, checked that first. Its only on the 99 title tv seasons releases. Havent had an issue with the movies themselves as i went through the night, bc i only need to rip one title, but on the tv seasons i need to select multiple titles and each time i select one i get the popup.

1 Like

This isn’t really on topic for the sub-forum so I’ve moved these posts to the main Movie Copy Software forum to enable us to discuss this more freely.

If you’re stuck for these particular discs, and you can’t get WinX DVD Platinum to work, I’d be inclined to try the free version of DVDFab and see how you get on.

1 Like

I don’t have a current WinX DVD & I would have to look for an old version.
I believe I have one but no updates for it as it was a giveaway.

What I would need to know before recommending anything is what you are ripping encrypted ?

I have paid DVDFab .I believe this changes how the Free version works.
So I can’t test to see how well the newest free version works.
It might work fine.
Also DVDFab has a free version of Passkey that might be what you want to use.

I haven’t tested Passkey with DVDShrink for a long time.
So I don’t know if they will work together.
So you may need to rip a DVD to decrypt it first.
Full size.
Then use DVDShrink.
I believe it can do what you want to do.
If you are concerned about the transcoding logarithm DVDShrink uses to compress then rip Full Size with it also.
Then compress with your preferred software if you will be using single layer DVDs .

I burn this type compilation with ImgBurn.

Some side notes.
There will be no menu so you will need to use menu creating software if you want a menu.
You can just use fewer of the titles when using DVDShrink to keep at single layer but full size.
You just have to burn more discs.
Use the Re-Author function & drag the titles you want to the left side.

1 Like

The free versions of Fab are usually behind on updates, I would get the updated paid version or AnyDVDHD

1 Like

If the discs are from 2010 then the free version of DVDFab should work.

AnyDVD HD is a very hood long term solution though and will also cope with the very latest discs.

1 Like

Just curious alan1476 & Wombler.
Have either of you used DVDFab DVD Copy free version to rip a TV series DVD ?
Even more so recently ?

Like I posted above DVDFab free doesn’t seem to work the same if there is also a paid version installed.

I know there is a way with DVDFab by itself to rip each episode & combine them.
I believe each episode is selected individually.
Then put on it’s own line in the Fab GUI .
Still no way to create a new menu with DVDFab DVD Copy by itself.
DVDFab Creator can create a menu I believe but I don’t have it.

AVS to DVD can create a menu & compress also if wanted.

2 Likes

To be honest I don’t buy DVDs anymore so haven’t ripped one in a while now.

I’ve used a vast range of software over the years though, including the free and paid versions of DVDFab, and AnyDVD HD in relation to structural protection. I was also a beta tester for PGCEdit throughout the period when structural protection was first reported, then analysed, and when all the different variants appeared so I also know the reasoning behind the changes to all the software developed during that time.

Ripping the disc with appropriate software will remove the invalid titles and once the files are ripped you can then use whatever software you like to process what’s there.

I always used a collection of software in the past as I preferred treating the ripping, structural post processing, and compression as separate tasks to maximise quality before burning.

For the record I usually ripped with either DVDFab or AnyDVD HD, made any structural/menu changes I wanted to make together with removing unwanted titles or languages etc. in PGCEdit, then compressed (if required) with DVD Rebuilder as it supports professional grade multi-pass encoding and the results from this are noticeably better, then burnt to disc with ImgBurn.

I’m not against all-in-one or one-click solutions but for me quality was always paramount and I’ve done extensive quality testing and reviews of DVD copying software over the years. Needless to say though certain programs do particular tasks better than others but at the end of the day everyone ultimately has their own preferences.

1 Like

You can " Merge" all the different files together, but I really don’t know what program does that the most efficiently. Like Wombler, I just watch it in .mp4 and usually just stream it from anyone of 10 different paid services ( Netflix) etc.

PGCEdit can be a bit intimidating & a large learning curve.
Good program for those that want to learn how to use it.

AVS to DVD also uses the same HCenc that DVD Rebuilder does.
Not as many settings though.
It may be able to “Merge” the separate titles.
I don’t believe DVD Rebuilder could “Merge” the separate titles into one DVD.
I believe they would need to be “Merged” first.

While DVDShrink may not have as good of quality it may be good enough.
It is much easier to use.

So a bit of trial to see which works the best.

Nothing wrong with streaming .mp4s as alan1476 suggested if that is your preference .
The only problem with that is how well the .mp4 was done.

1 Like

Merging them is a separate issue.

My comments relate to ripping the files which was the original query.

HCenc is a good choice although I tended to prefer the Cinema Craft encoder slightly better with difficult sources as the compression artefacts seemed to be less intrusive. There is a grain element to Cinema Craft encodes that some people aren’t always keen on but I found it to be closer to the uncompressed original than HCenc with extremely difficult to compress movies like Saving Private Ryan.

PgcEdit is a remarkable program and exceptionally capable. It’s actually possible to manually edit out and fix structural protection with this program but as you say it’s a steep learning curve and this is very labour intensive compared to using a suitable ripper. It’s an interesting exercise though if you’re wanting to get to grips with DVD structures.

I used it primarily to remove unwanted (but valid) titles (such as trailers), change the structure to bypass removed titles, or when I wanted the disc to start at the main menu, and remove languages etc. that I didn’t need in order to improve the quality of the final compression.

To be honest it was my go to tool that I wouldn’t have been without, as you can do anything you want to the DVD structure and menus with PgcEdit. Not for the faint hearted though. :slight_smile:

I have only player around some with PGCEdit.
I’ve never used the CCE .
It used to be a paid software.
Is CCE still paid software?

I didn’t know PGCEdit would remove structural protection.
Can PGCEdit remove Cinavia ?
More DVDs have Cinavia than they used to.

I believe this thread is getting off topic from what the OP asked but he hasn’t posted for a while.

@ john_casavola If you still need help post & we will try to get back closer to what you asked .

I presume so. TBH I never had to worry about licences for software as we usually needed to obtain these as a condition of carrying out a review.

It can but it’s not automated and much more complex when you’re doing this manually. Essentially you have to be skilled enough to be able to identify and fix the errors in the structure.

No, Cinavia is a steganographic audio watermark, or in other words it’s hidden within the audio. PgcEdit isn’t designed to edit the actual audio tracks themselves.

That’s to stop people playing unauthorised copies in standalone Blu-ray players. Standalone DVD players completely ignore Cinavia and aren’t capable of being upgraded to support it as it’s not part of the DVD specs.

Cinivia was a complete failure. No one even talks about it anymore.

Thanks Wombler,
I was curious about PGCEdit doing anything with Cinivia.
I figured you would know.
I have a standalone LG BD player made in 2012.
Just old enough to ignore Cinivia.
I don’t update it.
I also figured that the structural protection would be complicate for most people to remove with PGCEdit.

1 Like

There are many discs still around that have Cinivia on them.
Both BD & DVD .
When that is the case then Cinivia has to be dealt with or no successful copy can be made.

DVDFab is still selling both DVDFab DVD Cinavia Removal & DVDFab Blu-ray Cinavia Removal .
So there must be a need .

1 Like

First of all the whole DVD platform is going downhill, second as you said if you run into Cinavia it can be eliminated with no issues, my guess would be in a few years DVDs will go the way of cassettes and laser discs. and VHS.

Alan1476 You may be correct about DVDs but for now they are still being used for new movies.
I haven’t bought the Cinavia removal software from DVDfab & I don’t plan to.
So if there had been a free solution with PGCEdit I would have liked to know.
I also haven’t followed the removal solutions very close as most seemed to be replacing the Cinavia infected audio track with an inferior one.
On the rest we all know there are formats that have become obsolete…
I am still set up to play a VHS but on a large wide screen TV the picture is poor.
On an old CRT TV they still look good.
Not too bad on a smaller flat screen TV.

I have a top quality cassette player but I seldom use it as CDs are much better.
I haven’t thrown out my cassettes .

I never got a laser disc player because that format went obsolete fast.

I’m not one of the people that like vinyl LP records but some still swear they have the best sound.
I still have several I kept for the album covers. Most of those records were used & abused.
I bet you can remember when Sears & KMart had rows of new vinyl albums.
I know I can.

Not totally a Luddite I have a flashed LG drive that can play up to & including UHDBD discs .
Connected to a HTPC. Small form desktop so it uses an external enclosure for the BD drive.
Connected to a 7.1 Denon receiver via HDMI. It can do ATMOS but I don’t have ATMOS speakers.
All 7 channels have a speaker & there is also a sub-woofer.
If I use it as ATMOS the sound is not aimed at the ceiling but still sounds good.

In the car my stereo has a USB port & I usually play music from a flash drive.
It can play both CDS & DVDs if I want to.

1 Like

DVD players used to be a necessary component when building a new computer, now if you are a builder of PCs its very rare to even find a decent case that has a 5:25" slot for a DVD or Bluray player, everyone I know uses externals if they view or use DVDs at all. I guess only the future will tell and I certainly do not claim to know what the future has in mind for any of us.