Trouble DL Burning

I’m on my second DL DVD writer and I’m encountering the same problem as I did on the first. The first was a Sony and the current one is an LG (I don’t know the product models off the top of my head).

The first few discs I’ve burned from both work perfect. I’d say I got about five DL discs out of the first player and maybe eight or so out of the second. Suddenly, I get a problem from discs I’ve made from both: the video pauses right in the middle of the movie, where I would assume the layer break occurs. On my computer drives it stops and starts every few seconds for a while and then runs fine afterward, but on my stand-alone DVD player it freezes until I turn off the player and use the chapters to skip past the layer break.

Does anyone else get this problem or know how I might be able to fix it? I can’t believe I got two lemons in a row, and I’d hate to have to buy yet another DL DVD burner!

I should probably mention that I use Nero Essentials 7 to burn the discs. Also, any normal-sized DVDs I burn work perfectly fine. It’s just the DLs that give me trouble.

It would be nice to know the model of that burner & also what blank DL media you are using. You could also read this thread through until Post #18.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/reading-dual-layer-dvds-235705/

According to my hardware profile:
Disk 1 - Sony DVD RW DRU-720A
Disk 2 - HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55L

I’m currently using Memorex DVDs, but I was using Verbatims (until they ran out) and still ran into this problem.

After reading the topic you gave me, I should point out I was using DVDShrink to rip the DVD files because I wanted to get rid of the menus and stuff, I just wanted the movie itself. Seeing that RipIt4Me can also do this, I’ll try that method and see what happens.

@ Krendall,

Stick with known proven quality Media such Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media which consistently produces quality error free results.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=Krendall;2038481]According to my hardware profile:
Disk 1 - Sony DVD RW DRU-720A
Disk 2 - HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55L

I’m currently using Memorex DVDs, but I was using Verbatims (until they ran out) and still ran into this problem.

After reading the topic you gave me, I should point out I was using DVDShrink to rip the DVD files because I wanted to get rid of the menus and stuff, I just wanted the movie itself. Seeing that RipIt4Me can also do this, I’ll try that method and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

What version of firmware are they for the burners? Which type of memorex are they dvd +/- R or dvd -/+ DL?? Memorex does have problem burning but if and when you do you have to slow the burn speed down as burning to fast causes play back problem. How old are those burners are they still in warranty and did you crossflash them?? Could be if you used the drives alot could be the wear and tear usage of drive finally reaching the MTBF lifespan of the drives. But first would be if they are still under warranty and what does the exact error says can tells us where else to look???

What software are you using?

Try using imgburn, it will choose an appropriate layer-break point, based on chapter, so that the break will occur between two chapters on the disc.

For some reason nero tries to set the layer break at the default location (no matter what) and if it’s in the middle of a chapter, it can cause choppiness and freezing.

Also, for video-dvd, make sure you’re using book-type set dvd+r dl media, as dvd-r dl media has a set layer break that cannot be changed, and is terrible for dvd-video.

I don’t know the firmware version nor am I quite sure how to check it.

The discs are Memorex Double Layer DVD+R.

I used ImgBurn and slowed it down to 1x and the problem still occured. The LG is about 6 months while the Sony is a couple years at least (I’m more worried about the LG working right now). I’m pretty sure neither is in warranty, though.

I have no idea what crossflashing is.

I do use both a lot, but even a bunch of burning in six months shouldn’t have warn the drive down so it won’t burn DLs correctly, could it?

There is no error message. When the video reaches the point of the layer break (or at least about the middle of the movie) during playback the video just freezes, that’s it.

[quote=heyman421;2038557]What software are you using?

Try using imgburn, it will choose an appropriate layer-break point, based on chapter, so that the break will occur between two chapters on the disc.

For some reason nero tries to set the layer break at the default location (no matter what) and if it’s in the middle of a chapter, it can cause choppiness and freezing.

Also, for video-dvd, make sure you’re using book-type set dvd+r dl media, as dvd-r dl media has a set layer break that cannot be changed, and is terrible for dvd-video.[/quote]
I was using Nero Essentials 7 and had no problems until recently. I just tried burning with ImgBurn and got the exact same problem.

How can I tell if the media is book-type set? They are DVD+R discs, though. I don’t even want to attempt to mess around with -R discs, DL or not.

I always try to get Verbatims, but the store was out of them when I got these. Besides, I haven’t had any trouble until the past week or so. Past few days, really.

If you are doing movie only, why are you using DL discs? If I am doing movie only, I do a full rip with RipIt4Me, Dvd Shrink/reauthor, drag (most of the time it is title #1) over, keep 5.1 English only, backup to an ISO image file then burn with ImgBurn onto a single layer blank. If RipIt4Me can’t handle it, I use DvdFab HD Decrypter. Dvd Shrink need never be involved with DLs, it is a straight 1to1, if you ISO rip then you use ISO write with ImgBurn, choosing the MDS file which has the layer break info. If you choose full rip, then you place the output BUP, IFO & VOB files into a VIDEO_TS folder that you create & burn with ImgBurn in Build Mode. For firmware, launch ImgBurn & look at the right hand window. ImgBurn will also check for firmware update, (pic #2).

@ Krendall,

Memorex DL Media has a rich well-documented history of being poor quality problematic Media. Most likely the cause of your layer break “choppiness and freezing” problem is caused by the use of the known poor quality problematic Memorex DL Media.

To consistently obtain quality error free results Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media is the preferred DL Media. Any other DL Media is considered suspect and should be avoided.

To obtain the optimal performance from your DVD Burner especially when using DL Media it is prudent to always ensure that your DVD Burner has the most current up to date current available Firmware.

Burning at excessively slow speed (1x speed) will cause more “choppiness and freezing” problems than it will correct. Using known proven quality Media and having the most current up to date current available DVD Burner Firmware the best Burning results are obtained by Burning the Media at or slightly slower than the Media rated speed.

Regards,
bjkg

Well, they’re not so much movies as they’re WWE Pay-Per-Views. Since each show is 2:45-3:00 hours long, shrinking the shows down to a normal DVD gets noticible. If worse comes to worse I can split the shows across two normal DVDs, but I’d like to avoid that. For most movies I do shrink them down to a normal disc.

Thanks for the firmware info, though.

And I didn’t know Memorex had this bad a reputation, but that doesn’t explain why all my previous attempts work fine and only recently am I having problems.

Yes, the Memorex DL media is elcrappo. Try Verbatim.

Well, I tried using ImgBurn on the Sony writer and it worked! The disc plays smoothly on both the computer and the stand-alone DVD player.

I have both DVD drives on one IDE cable with the Sony on the first plug and the LG on the second. Could that have something to do with it? My computer isn’t the fastest in the world, either.

@ Krendall,

Once again as per posting #9 have you ensured that ALL of your DVD Burners including your undisclosed Model Number LG DVD Burner have the most current up to date current available Firmware?

Regards,
bjkg

Hey, Beef:

I did not know about not using dvd-r dl media, nor did I know that IMg Burn could check for firmware updates. Cool! I just recently downloaded & installed it & haven’t familiarized myself with it. You bet I will now! Thanx! So glad I’m a member here!

You are welcome, but it is [B]LUK [/B]& his beta testers who deserve the credit for giving us such a great program, for free yet. :bow::iagree::bow:

All hail Lightening UK!

:bow: :bigsmile: