Trouble Crossflashing ASUS DRW-24B1ST to LiteOn iHAS124

So I grab the “ATAPI.iHAS124_A.BLC2-B.patched-fr-dl16-eos-eoht” firmware from C0deKing. I grab the Flash Utility. I execute the flash utility and I click Write Flash. I then choose the firmware exe listed above, but the flash fails. The only thing I can think of that may be a problem is the fact my BIOS is set to ACHI mode. I saw that this was a problem back in 2010 but assumed this had been patched by now. Is ACHI mode really the culprit? If so is there an easy way around this, like maybe flashing from CLI in linux(since I dual boot Kubuntu 12.10 and Win 8)?

I got creative. I changed achi to ide and booted mini xp from hierens bolt CD. I tried the steps above and no luck. I forgot to mention my firmware is 1.05 but as I recall this doesn’t matter.

Are you sure your 24B1ST is an ‘A’ version? Look at the label, if the model ends ends as 24B1ST, then it’s an ‘A,’ but if it ends in 24B1ST c, then it’s a ‘C.’ If it’s a ‘C,’ then your trying to flash the iHAS124 A firmware will NOT work.

I will double check it shortly, but if it is a C model, then what is the comparable LiteON Model I should be cross flashing to? Also can you confirm if the old ACHI bug is still an issue or not?

EDIT: Just checked in linux:
product: DRW-24B1ST c
So looks like it may be a C after all.

Optica drives usually work better in IDE mode, but should be fine in AHCI. Crossflashing a C or D drive isn’t officially supported using the Flash and EEPROM utilities since the tools’ development have stopped.

[QUOTE=KTL;2673763]Optica drives usually work better in IDE mode, but should be fine in AHCI. Crossflashing a C or D drive isn’t officially supported using the Flash and EEPROM utilities since the tools’ development have stopped.[/QUOTE]

But it is possible?

Be cause Albert said it should be possible here:

After reading that post I tried the iHAS 324 firmware but it to failed.

No help?

You tried and it failed, what more is there to say? The convert drive function in EEPROM Utility requires the firmware to be properly flashed, and if you can’t flash the LO firmware, then convert drive won’t work. If you want a LO drive, Newegg currently has the iHAS324 (reported C) for $19.99 or iHAS124 (reported D) for $16.99.

[QUOTE=KTL;2674459]You tried and it failed, what more is there to say? [/QUOTE]

How should I know? I am not the expert, hence why I am posting here. I am confused as to which drive this would qualify as and why the drive won’t cross flash. Is it not a LO clone? Is it a LO Clone that doesn’t have a patch available(yet?-unlikely since c0deking is no longer around?)? Seems there is plenty to be said because I know so very little on the topic in a forum full of gurus. I may be higher then average tech knowledge, but I am clueless on the internal components of burners on the market. Plus I am unsure if I can still return at this point in time. I have had the burner for 7 days with little to no help. Maybe if I had gotten help sooner…I could have returned it, but it’s been 5 days so it is not like I was impatient in the matter like some posters expecting my questions to be answered with in an hour or few hours of posting.

Also should I be concerned with the quality of burns given the revision number on this drive?

[QUOTE=Xplorer4x4;2674477]Is it not a LO clone?[/quote] It is.

Is it a LO Clone that doesn’t have a patch available(yet?-unlikely since c0deking is no longer around?)?
Correct. While there are ways of doing this, it is not public. I hate to be cryptic, but if you look around the forum in the sections regarding the iHAS C drives, you will see that at least one member has successfully crossflashed, and you may be able to ask that specific user for help via private messaging. (Trust me, you will notice the posts concerning crossflashed drives. Pay attention to the way the drive models are typed in each post). Reading through the few comments in that thread may be helpful in general.

[QUOTE=Xplorer4x4;2674479]Also should I be concerned with the quality of burns given the revision number on this drive?[/QUOTE]No, you shouldn’t have concerns about that.

Albert, thanks for the info. What is the reason for being so cryptic all the sudden?

I figure that if the instructions were meant to be public, they would be, and if they aren’t that hard, then it will just take a few pioneers (hehe) to test it out before we just post a guide or anything.

[QUOTE=Albert;2674607]I figure that if the instructions were meant to be public, they would be, and if they aren’t that hard, then it will just take a few pioneers (hehe) to test it out before we just post a guide or anything.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that was poorly phrased, but I suppose that may still apply to what I meant to say. I didn’t mean why are you being cryptic, but rather why other users are suddenly being cryptic?

Thanks again for the responses. I know curiosity killed the cat, but I am an inquiring mind! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think anyone is intentionally being cryptic. There’s just not many people keeping up with these new drive revisions, at least not in comparison to 2 or 3 years ago. And as you can tell, crossflashing/tweaking support is rare for many of these drives as manufacturers implement new designs (to cut costs, prevent modding, or whatever the reason).