Trouble burning with samsung sh-223c and nero

vbimport

newbie to these forums here, having unreasonable amount of trouble burning cds using samsung sh-223c drives and nero in various configurations. We are a media production company, so we need these to come out not only working, but have some other criteria must meet (no burn rings, etc). We had been using samsung sh-s183 and sh-223q drives and nero 7 ultimate without issue. We make ‘masters’ from a computer using that configuration and then make mass copies using burning towers. It looks like those drives are now discontinued. Tried samsung sh-223b and v. l drives and get burn rings. Also tried some Sony Optiarc (not sure version) and also burn rings. While these discs seem good and play, the rings are unacceptable for our purposes. Tried the v. c drive and this is where it got confusing.

Was able to burn a disc successfully, smooth burn, no rings. Played in a computer correctly (saw 23 3 minute tracks). When putting into a regular cd player (discman, car) it will see all 23 tracks, but only will play the first track which is 65-70 minutes. All other tracks will not play. Also, could burn 5-7 discs successfully, then the entire computer would lock up. This was tested on two different machines, one w/ clean updated install of Win XP Pro SP3 32-bit w/ different hardware. Both machines would occasionally lock up w/ the v. c drive and Nero 7. Tried the trial of Nero 9 full version, same results, the lock up and unable to play back in cd players. I then tried burning audio cd w/ Win Media Player, and that disc would play correctly in a cd player. But when tried making copies w/ a burn tower w/ sh-223c drives, same result of cd players unable to play all tracks.

We really just need this to work as before. We can’t rely on hunting down discontinued drives to purchase (we go through a lot of drives). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=ozmodes;2510206]having unreasonable amount of trouble burning cds using samsung sh-223c drives and nero in various configurations. [/quote]Hm. These 223C’s don’t have a very good reputation here. :frowning:

We are a media production company, so we need these to come out not only working, but have some other criteria must meet (no burn rings, etc). (…) Also tried some Sony Optiarc (not sure version) and also burn rings. While these discs seem good and play, the rings are unacceptable for our purposes.
These burn rings stem from the write method, which seems to be Z-CLV then. Drives using CAV methods normally do not show such rings. That said, it might be important to know what Optiarc drive model was used.

Was able to burn a disc successfully, smooth burn, no rings. Played in a computer correctly (saw 23 3 minute tracks). When putting into a regular cd player (discman, car) it will see all 23 tracks, but only will play the first track which is 65-70 minutes. All other tracks will not play.
Okay. I’d consider this garbage.
Could you please tell us something about the burn parameters?
Especially selected write speed and the media you are using.

These lock-ups and the useless burns look as if the drive is either faulty or there are compatibility issues with the Sata controller you are using.

We can’t rely on hunting down discontinued drives to purchase (we go through a lot of drives). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I’d prefer Optiarc’s AD-724xS series for CD application in favour of the TSST 223 series and especially the 223C.

Michael

thanks for the quick reply Michael.

I have spent some time on these forums before posting and saw the mixed reviews on the 223c.

W/ the Sony, I figured it was due to Z-CLV and they were ‘good’, but as mentioned not acceptable for our purposes. I believe the model was a AD-7240S (is that a right model #?)

We have tried several of the model 223c drives, connected to two different model Asus motherboards (m2npv-vm and m3n78-vm) w/ and w/o using a siig sata card. It is Verbatim cd-r media (purchased in bulk, not sure exact model? can find out if you think it is necessary). Burning audio cd’s, at various burn speeds (usually 32x, but tested 8x-48x). Finalize disc, disc-at-once, no pause between audio tracks, and remove silence at end of track.

oh, just as posted reply, saw that the model Sony we tried was the same as you recommended. But due to the write strategy of Z-CLV creating burn rings, we can’t use them (it’s a really just because reason and was told can’t use them for our purposes)

little update, just tried the latest sb03 firmware for the 223c, no improvement

Hi,[QUOTE=ozmodes;2510221]thanks for the quick reply Michael.[/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

We have tried several of the model 223c drives, connected to two different model Asus motherboards (m2npv-vm and m3n78-vm) w/ and w/o using a siig sata card.
Both motherboards have a Nvidia chipset. Sometimes there are issues, which are often related to the Sata controller drivers. Either trying MS generic drivers or using latest version from Nvidia helped sometimes.
Siig Sata card: You mean Silicon Image? Was that a card in Raid mode or the non-Raid version? Controllers in Raid mode are not recommended for optical drives.

It is Verbatim cd-r media (purchased in bulk, not sure exact model? can find out if you think it is necessary).
Could you please check the MID with Nero CD/DVD Speed (or DiscSpeed)?
I personally would prefer blank CD-R from Taiyo Yuden. This is the most compatible stuff.

[QUOTE=ozmodes;2510224]oh, just as posted reply, saw that the model Sony we tried was the same as you recommended. But due to the write strategy of Z-CLV creating burn rings, we can’t use them (it’s a really just because reason and was told can’t use them for our purposes)[/QUOTE]Have you tried different write speeds? I wouldn’t expect rings at 16x or 8x (no idea what minimum speed is supported by that drive).

With Nero CD/DVD Speed (or Disc Speed) you can “see” what the drive does using the “Create disc” tab.

For me, this Optiarc is the most compatible CD-writer you can buy as new. But if these “rings” are a show stopper, then you have to stick with inferior hardware. :frowning:

[QUOTE=ozmodes;2510236]little update, just tried the latest sb03 firmware for the 223c, no improvement[/QUOTE]Somehow I expected this.

Michael

We will look into the possibility of the sata driver. I did mean Silicon Image, and actually tried both a raid card and a just sata expansion card. PCI and PCI-E. This issue also occurs when we duplicate a cd on burn towers. Those have 7-12 drives connected to an Ily SATA controller card. I do not know what the driver is on those.

Nero discspeed reports the discs as Taiyo Yuden, I know that we had Verbatims, are these not the same? The disc id is listed as 97m24s01f.

W/ the Sony’s, I tried them at every burn speed that was an option. At 8x the burn rings did disappear, but that is too slow. We are literally producing 10s of thousand of discs, so need to burn them as fast as possible (production usually burns at 40x-48x).

I just ordered a couple of the sh-243n drives for testing. Thoughts on those?

Hi,[QUOTE=ozmodes;2510394]We will look into the possibility of the sata driver. I did mean Silicon Image, and actually tried both a raid card and a just sata expansion card.[/quote]I’d expect a non-Raid Silicon Image based card to work.

Nero discspeed reports the discs as Taiyo Yuden, I know that we had Verbatims, are these not the same? The disc id is listed as 97m24s01f.

Taiyo Yuden is excellent stuff. Sometimes (but not very often) you can get them under the Verbatim brand. Normally, Verbatim has their own MID (except for their Extra Protection line).

W/ the Sony’s, I tried them at every burn speed that was an option. At 8x the burn rings did disappear, but that is too slow.
Thanks for confirmation.
We are literally producing 10s of thousand of discs, so need to burn them as fast as possible (production usually burns at 40x-48x).
I’d consider this as too high for audio CDs since the jitter increases with the burn speed.

I just ordered a couple of the sh-243n drives for testing. Thoughts on those?
I don’t have personal experience with that drive, but some owners of this drive are happy with the DVD performance of that drive: http://club.myce.com/f105/samsung-sh-s243-results-discussion-304840/

There are also some CD-R results:

Michael

latest update, purchased a few samsung sh-s243n drives to test. marked improvement (I can play a burned audio cd in a regular cd player now). the only issue seem to have now, is that burning with nero, nero only gives the option of burning at 48x, and occasionally while burning at that speed get buffer underrun warnings. I used the nero drive speed tool and it then detected all the available burn speeds, was able to burn a cd set at 32x. But, after that completed and went to burn another cd, nero reverted back to giving me only 48x as an option. And if this should now be considered a new thread, just let me know. thanks

actually meant the nero info tool

purchased samsung sh-s243n drives and with nero 7 ulitmate, things appear to be working as they should

thanks for the suggestions, not sure if this is resolved or unresolvable as had to use different piece of hardware than original problem

Hi,

well, replacing some unreliable hardware by something that works better, IS a solution. :slight_smile:

Michael