Trouble burning dual layer

Hello All,

I have never been able to successfully burn dual layer with DVDFab. I thought maybe it was my burner. I had a Samsung SH-162L, which by most accounts is a pretty good burner. I just installed a new Pioneer DVR-112D, which I have read good things about and is not supposed to be a picky drive when it comes to media. I’ve tried everything I can think of: VSO engine, Nero engine, packet and not, Full Disc vs. Clone and nothing seems to work. I am currently not using the greatest media, Dynex (Best Buy generic), which could be part of the problem, but I used to burn DL with that brand on my old Pioneer burner a few years ago using Decrypter and hardly ever had issues. I’m on my way to Best Buy now to grab some Verbatim media, which I’ve always had success with, but I’m open to any other suggestions.

Thanks,

JD

I think the Verbatims will solve your problem, they have for many others. BestBuy stocks two flavors of the Verb+r DLs, the older ones with the purple label and the newer orange label (higher speed). If you have a new drive, try the ones in the orange (marked 8X, up to 10X). I have an older drive that does better with the older ones (2.4X, up to 6X I think), but I just buy for the new drive now.

I own this same drive and I have had real good luck with Ativa DL from Office Depot. Watch for the sales to get the best bargins on this brand.

Agree with others, definitely switch brands of your DLs.
The only consistently recommended DL media is Verbatim +R DL.

On a personal note, when I first started burning DLs way back when, I had really good luck with Ritek D00, and hit and miss with Ritek D01.
Despite the successes I had with with the D00’s, I wouldn’t recommend them.

Never tried Ativa, but THE C. can vouch for them in this burner.
I guess the choice is yours, but if it were me, I’d opt for the verbs.
Just my 2 cents.

[QUOTE=zebrastripes;1938038]Hello All,

I have never been able to successfully burn dual layer with DVDFab. I thought maybe it was my burner. I had a Samsung SH-162L, which by most accounts is a pretty good burner. I just installed a new Pioneer DVR-112D, which I have read good things about and is not supposed to be a picky drive when it comes to media. I’ve tried everything I can think of: VSO engine, Nero engine, packet and not, Full Disc vs. Clone and nothing seems to work. [B]I am currently not using the greatest media, Dynex (Best Buy generic)[/B], which could be part of the problem, but I used to burn DL with that brand on my old Pioneer burner a few years ago using Decrypter and hardly ever had issues. I’m on my way to Best Buy now to grab some Verbatim media, which I’ve always had success with, but I’m open to any other suggestions.

Thanks,

JD[/QUOTE]

The trouble is because of that crap DL media. :iagree:

burn slowly, don’t multitask, and use verify every time you are trying new media, then you immediately know if the burn was successful.

If you get verified OK then you know that whatever goes wrong later (e.g dog eats original, copy fails in standalone player etc etc ) your PC can read that burn back onto your Hard Drive for you to burn again with different media/settings.

You should always avoid running other CPU intensive tasks when burning, even with dual core. Even simple things like launching outlook can cause problems because windows seems to give all the PC resources to outlook for a few seconds while it’s initialising.
And burning while defragging your drive would be just asking for trouble!

The crap media is the source of the problem, as I have tried many brands from ebay and I have had the best success with Memorex. Even TDK from Office Depot on special gave me some serious problems with a ninety percent failure rate.

Hi ZEBRASTRIPES,
Try this. Rip with DVDFab platinum in Clone mode using Verbatim D/L blank and burn with imgburn. That’s the way I do it and have no problems.

[quote=cybmole;1938653]burn slowly, don’t multitask, and use verify every time you are trying new media, then you immediately know if the burn was successful.

If you get verified OK then you know that whatever goes wrong later (e.g dog eats original, copy fails in standalone player etc etc ) your PC can read that burn back onto your Hard Drive for you to burn again with different media/settings.

You should always avoid running other CPU intensive tasks when burning, even with dual core. Even simple things like launching outlook can cause problems because windows seems to give all the PC resources to outlook for a few seconds while it’s initialising.
And burning while defragging your drive would be just asking for trouble![/quote]Excellent advice, to which I would only add: [B]read (and if you have problems, post) the burn logs[/B]. They are full of useful information.