Trouble Burning DL- only 50% but Full!

Hi all
Please forgive me if I sound crap at ths…it seems i am though! I have just started today burning Dual Layer DVD’s and I have two .DVD images and 1 .NRG image. If I try and burn any by using Nero (for the NRG), IMGBurn or CloneCD for the .DVD images, it gets 51% into the burn, then fails every time on no matter what image. When I eject the DVD and have a look on the base, its burned the whole DVD. Its like its run out of space on the DVD yet its only got to 51%. These are Ricoh Dual Layer discs and my drive is a Philips DVD1640P cross flashed to BenQ 1620 Firmware B7W9. It was also doing the same on the latest Philips P3.7 firmware. I have enabled/disabled WOPC to no effect

Am I being a total noob?!

Cheers

Your issue could be a number of things.

Do you have some error logs from the software that you were using to post?

:cool: :cool:

Hi there
I am just burning again and will let you know the result. i know it will fail again. Such a waste of Discs, but I really want to get to the bottom of this. I just read this info for IMGBurn:

You have to feed ImgBurn the correct layerbreak information. This has only to be done once as it saves this setting for future use.

• Go to TOOLS -> SETTINGS
  • within the tab WRITE go to OPTIONS - Layer Break (for DL Media)
  • click User specified
  • enter 1913760 and click OK

Be back in a moment to say it didn’t work with the log results…

I hope you can see this image…This is it burning now quite happily…but its not hit 51% yet! I know it will fail…

The sectors bit at the top seems to be halfof what the disc image is. Is that something to do with it?

and as suspected, here is my error again! What can it be? It did the same in Nero with the NRG image I have so I suspect it isn’t software related…

Now that you have had several errors, I would check and make sure the DMA mode is still enabled.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

I assume your Firmware is up-to-date?

Do you know if your images are clean from copy protection?

I believe the images are free fromcopy protection yes. According to the BenQ website, this is the latest firmware.I tred the latest Philips firmware before I cros flashed it and it was the same error. I’ll check the DMA as that is something I haven’t checked…

Thanks for your help so far, I’ll keep you updated.

I just checked the drives and the DMA mode is still enabled on all Channel drives.

Maybe I need a new DVD Recorder? This is the first time using Dual Layer.

Are your Ricoh Dual Layer disks the new ones that are made in Japan?
or are they the ones made in Taiwan?

It’s possible that your burner does not like the media. You might have to try different media.

Have you played your images to see if they work? If not Use Video Lan Player it will play pretty much anything.

I would also reopen your images with a ripper and make sure that they are clean.

IE: RipIT4Me with FixVts and DvD Decrypter and save your output as an Iso, Then try using ImgBurn to burn the Iso.

So download RipIt4Me - http://www.ripit4me.org/
So download FixVts - http://download.videohelp.com/FixVTS/
So download DvD Decrypter - http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/DVD_Decrypter/1011845169/1

Guide on How to Use RipIt4Me

Click on the green arrow until you have the option to select #4 Ripping in Iso mode.

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/ri4me_guide_page1.html

Instead of the DvD being the source, your images will be.

i suspect that a copy protection has to do with it.

Hi there
these are great answers and i really appreciate you taking time to reply. The images are copy protection free. 100% on that. The burned images I have are not complete so I suspect the Ricoh media is at fault here. They were not branded Ricoh, but thats what IMGBurn said they were. I think I just wasted 23 quid on 25 discs! I will buy some better quality media later and try again. I heard these images work with TDK.

arbyman: If you are trying to burn DL media, use Verbatim.

OK, i will try Verbatim as well. Thanks!

Unbelievable, Verbatim worked! Incredible to think a different brand makes a difference like that.

Thanks for the help with this.

Glad to see that your problem is solved. A lot of people don’t like to spend the $$$ on the Verbatim’s but in the long run it will save you from the headaches.

I though Imgburn, didn’t defeat copy protection. You should try DVDShrink or DVD FAB Express.

It doesn’t, It turn out that copy protection was not the issue here. It was the media at fault.

The cheaper discs were havng trouble handling the layer break. I’ve had really bad luck burning DL discs with Nero which is why i use this guide.

Hi Everyone. This is my first post . . . so be gentle with me!!

I’m interested in all the feedback I’ve been seeing regarding DL DVDs. I have always used VerbDVD+R DL discs and almost everyone fails around the 50% mark. I’ve tried different programs, different settings, slowed the burn speed . . . and am sick of creating coasters. These discs cost too much to be throwing away all the time.

I have CloneDVD, DVDShrink, DVDFabPlatinum, 1ClickDVD and none of these have successfully burnt a DL disc. And I know that the burner works as I have previously burnt data to a DL disc. I use either DVD4Free or DVDDecrypter for Protection Code.

I know that the files are clean and 100% protection free.

Has anybody got any advice that will prevent me inserting a bat throught the computer???

Yours in frustration, Seagull . . . .

[QUOTE=Seagull2605;1955748]Hi Everyone. This is my first post . . . so be gentle with me!!

I’m interested in all the feedback I’ve been seeing regarding DL DVDs. I have always used VerbDVD+R DL discs and almost everyone fails around the 50% mark. I’ve tried different programs, different settings, slowed the burn speed . . . and am sick of creating coasters. These discs cost too much to be throwing away all the time.

I have CloneDVD, DVDShrink, DVDFabPlatinum, 1ClickDVD and none of these have successfully burnt a DL disc. And I know that the burner works as I have previously burnt data to a DL disc. I use either DVD4Free or DVDDecrypter for Protection Code.

I know that the files are clean and 100% protection free.

Has anybody got any advice that will prevent me inserting a bat throught the computer???

Yours in frustration, Seagull . . . .[/QUOTE]

Why do you ressurrect & hijack and over 1 year old thread instead opening a new one?!?! :confused:

I think that your burner is burned out. Get a new one.