Trouble burning DL DVD\'s need new firmware? (Lite-On SOSW-852SX)

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SOSW-852SX. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]i am having trouble burning DL DVD’s.

Using my laptop built in drive (I have a DELL XPS M1330) which I believe is a Matshita UJ-857G I am unable to burn any DL at all. I have tried using several brands of disc namely Verbatim, Aone and Memorex also various types of software including Clone CD and Nero.

I also have an external Lite On SOSW-852SX (firmware PSX3), I have tried all of the above with this drive also however I am able to burn to Verbatim’s only.

I take it the problem could be down to the firmware of either of the drives in order to burn to more media however I cant find an update for the matshita anywhere and the Lite On has the latest official firmware.

Does anyone know where I can find updated firmware either for the matshita or the Lite On.

PS Mods sorry if this is in the wrong the section, didnt know where else to put it.

Matshita drives are known for being extremely media-picky.

Matshita firmware is quite hard to find, but since it came with your Dell lappy, their site should be your first port of call.

Since one drive is a Matshita and the other’s an older Litey, your best bet is to stick with the Verbies if those at least work with the Litey.

Even on newer drives, other brands (especially the ones you mentioned) can be very hit-or-miss anyway, and you may find yourself with some nice coaster sets. Some of this is down to the way manufacturers other than MCC (Verbatim brand) make their DLs, older drives especially don’t get on with it.

Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear (hopefully someone can help you with newer or modified Litey firmware, IMO there’s no hope for the Matshita). Another option is to invest in a newer external drive.

BTW, love your username :slight_smile:

Thanks for your response.

regarding the matshita I have been to the dell website already and unfortunately there doesnt seem to be an update available.

The external Litey looks like they way I would have to go, is anybody aware of any modded firmware?

I cant really justify buying another external drive just for DL’s, especially when the two I have already are supposed to burn to DL’s anyway.

Just got to figure out what to do with my stack of Memorex and Aones!! I suppose its no coincidence that the Verbs are the most expensive…

Ouch @ no Matshita firmware (though I suspected that would be the case anyway, the drives - and lack of firmware updates for them - are notorious around here).

I understand not wanting to shell out for another drive just for DLs :iagree:

A couple of things you might try: have a look at the CodeGuys site to see if there’s anything there for your Litey. Alternatively, there may be a way for you to modify the latest official firmware, so a look at the stickies in our LiteOn forum might be worth a go. :slight_smile:

You would need DELL firmware for your Liteon (OEM).

[QUOTE=chef;2249091]You would need DELL firmware for your Liteon (OEM).[/QUOTE]

Think maybe that is incorrect, the matshita is the drive built in to the Dell (so I would imagine I would need Dell firmware here - there isn’t any). The Lite On is an external slim type drive.

I have since given up on the matshita as it does indeed seem they are very hard to get firmware for. I am trying to sort the Lite On see here http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/sosw-852sx-firmware-lite-sosw-852sx-270411/ any help would be appreciated.

Using my laptop built in drive (I have a DELL XPS M1330) which I believe is a Matshita UJ-857G I am unable to burn any DL at all. I have tried using several brands of disc namely Verbatim, Aone and Memorex also various types of software including Clone CD and Nero.

I also have an external Lite On SOSW-852SX (firmware PSX3), I have tried all of the above with this drive also however I am able to burn to Verbatim’s only.

I take it the problem could be down to the firmware of either of the drives in order to burn to more media however I cant find an update for the matshita anywhere and the Lite On has the latest official firmware.

Does anyone know where I can find updated firmware either for the matshita or the Lite On.

I have the same machine and the same Burner. After a long research I suspect that Dell is limiting the Dual Layer capability in certain areas or countries, where they sell the machines at lower price or special offers. So they do not need to change the hardware, just the bios or the firmware. That is why you will find this burner as a DL in all the listing, but in dell part and spares deparment. In summary, it is a trick of dell. You, (and I) will never burn DL in this machine-burner. We will never find a firmware, nor even the spare part. And Dell will never, never speak.

May be installing Windows 7 will undo the trick

dgasparre

[QUOTE=dgasparre;2415398]Using my laptop built in drive (I have a DELL XPS M1330) which I believe is a Matshita UJ-857G I am unable to burn any DL at all. I have tried using several brands of disc namely Verbatim, Aone and Memorex also various types of software including Clone CD and Nero.

I have the same machine and the same Burner. After a long research I suspect that Dell is limiting the Dual Layer capability in certain areas or countries, where they sell the machines at lower price or special offers. So they do not need to change the hardware, just the bios or the firmware. That is why you will find this burner as a DL in all the listing, but in dell part and spares deparment. In summary, it is a trick of dell. You, (and I) will never burn DL in this machine-burner. We will never find a firmware, nor even the spare part. And Dell will never, never speak.

[B]May be installing Windows 7 will undo the trick[/B]

dgasparre[/QUOTE]

Nope, that cannot work.