Trojan virus associated with Alcohol 120

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I run Kaspersky anti-virus Ver. 7 software and it keeps coming up that I have a Trojan virus (see below) that can not be disinfected. It won’t allow me to delete the file in Safe Mode or normal mode.

When I go to the location of the file, it just tells me the date created, but when I go into the file while in Safe Mode it shows me the info below.

Can anyone who works with Alcohol 120 or who knows what to do about this help me? I used Alcohol 120 over a year ago and uninstalled it shortly after, but now this Virus has associated itself somehow with the program and I’m not sure what to do.

Thanks for any help someone can give me!

Hi shonymat and Welcome to the forum. May I ask if you downloaded this setup file from the Alcohol Website?

Hi Alan. To be honest, I don’t remember where I downloaded it. It was so long ago. I just know I haven’t had it “seemingly” on my system for a long time.

[QUOTE=shonymat;2278432]Hi Alan. To be honest, I don’t remember where I downloaded it. It was so long ago. I just know I haven’t had it “seemingly” on my system for a long time.[/QUOTE]
If you didn’t download it from the Alcohol Website or the CDF Software mainpage it may have a virus. I really dont know, but its always advisable to download software from the authors web page.:wink:

Yeah… I understand how I got here, I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to get rid of it without wiping out the HD.

You could try using SuperAntiSpyware and d/l that from www.filehippo.com It’s free and it will only catch the Trojan itself then eliminate it. What you might want to do is to (once you install SuperAntiSpyware) run an update to get the latest definitions, then use “Safeboot” in the SuperAntiSpyware menu system to boot to safe mode; then open SuperAntiSpyware and run a complete scan. Depending on the # of files on your computer, a complete scan could be 3.5 hours or more.

[QUOTE=Quema34;2278622]You could try using SuperAntiSpyware and d/l that from www.filehippo.com It’s free and it will only catch the Trojan itself then eliminate it. What you might want to do is to (once you install SuperAntiSpyware) run an update to get the latest definitions, then use “Safeboot” in the SuperAntiSpyware menu system to boot to safe mode; then open SuperAntiSpyware and run a complete scan. Depending on the # of files on your computer, a complete scan could be 3.5 hours or more.[/QUOTE]

Thanks… I’ll give that a try! :slight_smile:

Yeah, it should help you unless that particular Trojan is a really sneaky bastard like a Vundo/Virtumonde variant, which you’ll lop pieces off of, but it keeps coming back. I’m not aware how complex/far up that Trojan is on the food chain, but SuperAntiSpyware got rid of my Trojan problem (from downloading WinAce direct from their site, too).

I’d also recommend you d/l’ing Trinity Rescue Kit, burning it to a CD, then booting up after you only leave enabled booting from one of your CD/DVD drives by running your setup pressing delete on the black screen boot sequence). Then it will boot the linux from the CD and once it’s set up, use the AVG command-line scanner to run a full scan by using this command at the prompt:

virusscan -a avg

This will first update the AVG scanner AV definitions then do a full AV scan. Even on my (now getting ancient) 1.8 ghz single processor AMD Duron system, it takes about 45 minutes and will tell you if it’s clean (a green message) or something in red (where it lists the Trojans/viruses it cleaned off your HDD). I sometimes can with that Trinity Rescue Kit once a month too.

Thanks for the suggestions Quema. I’ll post any results after I try a couple of things.