Trivia: I enjoy treating DVDs like USB sticks

I enjoy treating DVD+R’s and DVD-RWs(×6) as if they were USB sticks and DVD-RAM’s using UDF.

Disc lifespan expired? RW cycles consumed? No problema, because:
:black_small_square:I have backups.
:black_small_square:That DVD-RW was worth only €0.15 per piece anyways.
:black_small_square:Honestly, I have never managed to exhaust the rewrite cycles of any RW disc, even crappy quality ones. (using the BU20N or BE14NU40, still extreme quality. The SH-S182 from 2006 fails burning CD-RW due to expired lifespan, but DVD-RW? No problem, surprisingly!).

What are some 6×DVD-RW CQ's? (crappy quality)
General Chat

All RW’s i’ve ever had became useless after few dozen rewrite cycles. Even one Verbatim DVD-RAM died pretty quickly.

My Sony DVD-RW and Verbatim CD-RWs from 2009 were probably written to around 100 times at the beginning sectors.
No noticeable increase in errors, surprisingly?.

I am currently doing the USB treatment on a Sony DVD+RW. No sign of degradation yet.

But the science behind degradation, and how UDF tries ro handle and rescue the sinking ship of DVD-RW phase changing is highly interesting.

Can you remember the brand and model of your RW discs?

Mostly Verbatim +RW 4x and couple of Ricoh +RW 8x.

Great! Would you mind creating and uploading a burning speed graph, if you don’t need the DVD+RW for anything else and don’t mind testing it?

I wonder, how Z-CLV and P-CAV graphs look like.

On CD-RW on a laptop drive, it probably goes Z-CLV 16, 20, 24. The maximum rotation speed at the beginning would equal 38.4× CAV, so laptop slim drives definitely have the potentials for matching desktop drives nearly by reading speed (if DAE quality does not suffer, evem DAE speed could increase).
Writing speeds like that would probably compromise quality on slim drives.
But that would be a problem, if the power supply is too weak, so these speeds are just maximum speeds

This was years ago and i don’t have these discs anymore. I just found one Verbatim -RW 6x from the bottom of the drawer but it doesn’t work. The drive just keeps trying and trying.

Which drive? Does it work with other drives?
My DVD-RWs somehow never degraded. Some data was unreadable due to a faulty DVD writer, but writing on a good drive such as H653B worked well.

I also have some of those.
Was UDF used to write to them? UDF tries to spread data and like SSDs, spread degradation evenly.

Didn’t work in at least two slim drives. I’ve never tried to treat RW like big floppies, only regular burning. I’ve tried however to use BD-RE as USB stick formatted in UDF 2.50 in Windows 10 successfully, but since my main OS Linux doesn’t support writing to UDF 2.50, it is irrelevant to me.

You can download “udftools” for Linux.

Off-Topic: I just noticed the updated ClubMyce mobile tect posting user interface.

Udftools can only write up to 2.01 according to manpage.

According to UbuntuUsers wiki, it supports up to UDF 2.60.
But NetBSD supports UDF 2.60 by default, I guess.

2.5 and 2.6 are supported as read-only in Linux as far as i know.

Too bad.
It’s getting time for them to upgrade.

Other things I like:

:black_small_square: No accidental ejection possible.
:black_small_square: I can hear, when exactly there is read/write activity. The green (blue for BE14NU40) indicator lighr blinks differently for read and write, so that they can be distinguished from each other.
:black_small_square: The disc, like SD card, or tiny USB sticks, does not stick out of the device. In case of discs, it is completely inside the computer (or external drive).

Where the heck did you find rewriteable DVDs faster than 4x? I’ve never been able to find any.

Why do all drives burn the DVD+RW×8 using Z-CLV?
Also desktop drives do so.

Does anybody have speed graphs for DVD+RW×8?

They start with 6x because the rotational speed would not be enough at the beginning for 8x.

Upload P-CAV and Z-CLV burn speed graphs and quality test results here
DVD+VR format