Tried update, but not allowed (Philips DVD8801)

[qanda]This thread is about the Philips DVD8801. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello all, sorry if I am making a faux pas here, but this is beginning to annoy me, before the intensity and thus the urge to destroy gets any higher, I thought that I would seek some informed assistance, where better to try than here.
I may well be completely on the wrong track any way with my desire to update the firmware of my player, it may not be relevant to the non functioning, any way, by reading in here, and gleaning what information that I could with regard to the drive, it seemed to be that most people convert to Benq firmware for a better experience. When I tried to do this I got a message saying that the update would not be allowed, is there any way around this ? or am am I doing something daft? this would come as no real surprise to me as it is not a new thing in my life, the firmware that I am attempting to put on is for the Benq DW1650, would that be compatible to my drive, and if so, how do I get to be allowed to upgrade.
I do hope someone can be of assistance, it would be very much appreciated.
ps. the firmware installed in the player is reported as 4D 28