Tried To Reinstall WindowsXP & hit a WALL!

[B]I have a desktop and a laptop but decided I needed to reinstall windows on the desktop. I backed up everything and started the re-boot. I deleted the partition and installed a fresh copy of windows.

The first thing I noticed while it was installing was that it said it could not copy the files: presetup.cmd & setupORG.

I skipped these and continued the installation but once the setup restarted my PC it hits an error screen saying that because these files were not copied setup has to abort.

What can I do?? I tried 2 copies of windows on CD but they do not get past the boot up screen. Is there a way to delete the partition and re-start the installation???

Appreciate any help.[/B]

Please only post your question one time in one forum. Thankyou.:wink: Your other thread has been deleted in General Hardware.

What are your system specs? And what version of XP are you using? What your asking help on your giving very limited information to be of much help. What do you mean 2 copies of windows on Cd??? Your install Cds itself should format and install windows.

Sorry my mistake. I am trying to install Windows XP Black edition.

My specs are:

AMD athlon 3700

When I say I have 2 windows CD’s I mean that I have the black edition on CD and I have also tried a windows XP home edition CD that came with my Dell laptop.

I built my PC

Sorry my mistake. I am trying to install Windows XP Black edition.

My specs are:

AMD athlon 3700
Emu 1212 soundcard
nvidia nforce K7N2 Delta
80GB hard drive

When I say I have 2 windows CD’s I mean that I have the black edition on CD and I have also tried a windows XP home edition CD that came with my Dell laptop.

I built my PC myself so maybe I need to change the bios as I am now using a CDrom drive to try and use the windows CD’s. Before I began the reinstall process I was using a external drive but I no longer have that. I attatched my old cdrom drive which I used to use to the power supply and hard drive and it works but when I insert a windows CD I get an error on the boot up screen saying I need to insert the system disk. Any ideas why??

I am really looking for a way to boot from the cd and restart the installation if possible.

[QUOTE=ldn;2309876]Windows XP Black edition.[/QUOTE]
Is that an official Microsoft release?

the black edition is an add on to the official xp version but I downloaded it. However, I also have the official home version that I am trying to install as the black edition casued the problems.

ok so I tried skipping to the boot screen but that gives me the same error which is: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

This error would come up even when the PC was working but all I had to do was press reset and it would skip it next time.

In the BIOS I have these settings for boot devices:

1ST BOOT DEVICE: CDROM
2ND BOOT DEVICE: HDD-0
3RD BOOT DEVICE: USB-CDROM

One thing I noticed when it gets to the boot screen is that it says there is “no device” under primary or secondary slave disks…is that a issue??

I can get to the XP setup screen(light blue: http://www.winsupersite.com/images/r...rc1_rev_01.gif) when I unattatch my CDRom but that is where I get the “setup must abort error” which leaves me with no options to click but abort??!!?!?!

Sorry if this is a little all over the place.

[QUOTE=ldn;2309999]the black edition is an add on to the official xp version but I downloaded it. However, I also have the official home version that I am trying to install as the black edition casued the problems.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say but there is no such animal in the M$ world of O/S…

Under ‘benefit of the doubt’ I assume you do have an XP license. We can’t help you with the obviously bootleg (‘Black’) version but to get back to square one you may find ‘The Ultimate Boot CD’ to be of some help. It has tools to wipe hard drives and give you a clean start. No further discussion of the Black edition is allowed. Please read and follow the rules of our forum.

If you are in the US, I suggest getting an OEM version of XP from a reputable dealer, like Newegg. The Home version is $90, the Pro version is $140.

Since you don’t seem to have a legal version of the operating system for this computer you have assembled (the XP home cd from your laptop doesn’t apply), I am going to shut down the discussion now.