Tried it all! compressed files dont play?

COMPRESSED FILES FROM REMPEG2, INSTANT COPY, VIRTUALDUB, TMPGENC NOT WORKING. HELP.

Im trying to encode, (compress) files that have been ripped and reauthored by dvd shrink, however I do not want to use this program for this as the files that are compressed from 5.45gb to the standard dvd5 format 4.3gb turn out pretty bad with noticable artifacts in the form of large blocky pixels that appears randomly through out the movie.

I’ve used several alternative programs to try out for higher quality compression such as; rempeg2, pinnacle’s instant copy (demo), virtualdub, tmpgenc (with dvd2avi for tmpgenc only) and had no luck with any of them as the encoded files are not converted back to the original file form VOB, BUP, VTS which is obviously needed for the playback on standard dvd format and power dvd.

Where is the missing link? (my brain?)

Is there some other program that I need to use to convert the files back to VOBs, BUPs etc…?

I’ve looked up the article at digital-digest.com for quality dvd backup guide, but all the links to the programs I need to use for this are all broken.

Im pretty sure I have what i need to make quality compression?

Im looking for the program that will give me the highest quality compressed results?

If only it was all simple as dvdshrink.

of the programs u’ve listed, i’ve only used instant copy, which has a mode to burn the .pdi files, creating a “standard dvd.” the other programs (with the exception of dvdshrink) aren’t transcoders (at least not by themselves).

instant copy and dvdshrink in deep analysis mode provide the highest quality transcoding currently available.

Originally posted by Mr Sleep
[B]…
I’ve used several alternative programs to try out for higher quality compression such as; rempeg2, pinnacle’s instant copy (demo), virtualdub, tmpgenc (with dvd2avi for tmpgenc only) and had no luck with any of them as the encoded files are not converted back to the original file form VOB, BUP, VTS which is obviously needed for the playback on standard dvd format and power dvd.

Where is the missing link? (my brain?)
[/B]

All those you list do not author the new encoded files (except IC which sort of does it). TMPGEnc is the only one in your list that will give you the quality your looking for, but if you want the best quality, check out using DVD2SVCD with CCE. See http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62671
Thje latest version of DVD2SVCD also can use Scenarist to automatically author your encode, producing a VIDEO_TS folder full of VOB files etc ready to burn.

Hello, Sorry for the late reply, I dont have internet at home…

DVD2SVCD sounds good, but it looks like I wont be able to get hold of this just yet as the file is greater than a floppy can handle…

Since you say TMPGEnc will give me the quality I want, What do I do now with the file that has been compressed with TMPGEnc.

How do I convert this one file that is undetectable by PowerDVD, back to its original standard DVD readable format, VOB, BUP etc…?

Oh, and whats CCE?

Kind Regards…

CCE = cinema craft encoder, which is the highest quality mpeg-2 encoder. ur other two questions would be pretty hard to answer, since we wouldn’t know exactly what u’ve done to the files. if u wish to make a main-movie only backup of ur dvd using DVD2SVCD, CCE, and Scenarist, i wrote this guide. the only catch is that u need CCE and Scenarist, both of which aren’t exactly cheap. any method involving CCE would require a dvd authoring program, such as Scenarist.

Originally posted by Mr Sleep
Since you say TMPGEnc will give me the quality I want, What do I do now with the file that has been compressed with TMPGEnc.

I would suggest you load the files that TMPGenc produced into TMPGEnc DVD Author and author them.

Hello and Thanks.

Just checked out the prices on CCE & Scenarist…!!

Man, you got to be a freak to spend that much on software for personal backups…! :slight_smile:

Thanks AZImmortal & ChickenMan, looks like I’ll be using DVDShrink…, for now…

Cheers. :wink: