Tried Flashing my H55L with Ver 1.05 and got a strange result

I’m not sure if I’ve done any damage or not.:confused:

The Device ID indicated it was firmware Ver 1.00 on the new H55L, so naturally I wanted to flash the new Ver 1.05. I downloaded the Firmware 1.05 from LG and prepared the computer so nothing would interfere with the flash, all the usual pre-flash sets and checks. I started the flasher and a box came up over the flasher asking “Do you want to start ‘Re-Flash’ F/W”. I thought woh! whats that mean, re-flash !? I clicked no and the flasher disappeared. Well the device id said it was VER 1.00 so I thought to try again. Same box came up “re-flash F/W” so I clicked yes and it started the process. 6% in to the process it aborted and reported “Update Failed” “The drive may be in emergency mode” “Drive can only be flashed F/W”. OK so now I’m thinking I just murdered the drive; but I did everything correctly. So I rebooted and Windows re-detected the drive and now the device ID shows Ver 1.05 !!! What the hell happened ?!?!?

Immediately I start testing the drive and everything still works same as before. Benchmark tests same.

A question: do you suppose it was already in Ver 1.05 but id was wrong showing Ver 1.00 ??? Or do you think the flasher got as far as just changing the id to 1.05 and then aborted for some reason. I don’t yet understand whether I have ver 1.05 or not. Info tool says it is 1.05 but I have no way to read the firmware to confirm what it actually is.

Either your drive is OEM, you have not the correct flasher, or you should try flashing in SAFE MODE.

Thanks for responding chef … OK I Have attached the Info file. It reads Ver 1.05 but I don’t see how that can be. I went to the LG site and to their software for the DVD drives. I downloaded the flasher that specifically states its for the internal H55L here: http://www.lge.com/support/software.jsp —> GSA-H55L 1.05(EW).zip . It does say in the readme that its only for LG brand drives and no OEMs. Also its an upgrade for versions before 1.03. The drive I received today came from : Origin ID: BSMA (815) 804-1999 in CDM (AFC) Austin TX . In a brown box not retail box. It is a silver case (not black) tagged with LG sticker and all id info and LG black faceplate indentical to the retail H54L I bought in LG box. LG faceplate has a couple different imprints like ‘Secure Disk’. However what you mention here is worth looking in to. I’ve read the odd numbers are OEM and even numbers are LG. But that doesn’t make much sense since LG retails the drive. Readme doesn’t mention safe mode but it sounds like a good idea. Whats crazy is why didn’t it just reject the flash immediately? Why did it prompt with a seperate box to “Re-Flash” ? If no one has seen this before (and searching wasn’t any help at all) I guess I’ll call LG.

I ran a bunch of tests and all checked out. However I can’t understand why the Diag tool would create data at 1x CLV when the DVD-RAM disk was rated at 3x P-CAV. Identifier confirms that. ‘Create Disk’ Burned an image file the same way at 1x CLV. The drive burned an MPEG file to DVD+R DL in multisession at 4X on a 2.4x disc and verified it CAV 5 to 10X at the end of the file. No problems so far, and those DVD movies pop up the DVD player now on insertion. Still I am concerned about messing with the Firmware this way. Doesn’t seem like any corruption has occurred.

Read me(ew).TXT (2.21 KB)

As the firmware is protected by a checksum and the drive does not boot into safe mode, the checksum is correct, so update is complete.

Thanks ALA for the info. So you think it actually did complete the update ?! Why didn’t it finish with a message like “Firmware Update Complete” and then advise me to re-boot ?? Instead, telling me my drive might be in emergency mode and increasing my blood pressure significantly.

Oh well, alls well that ends well. I want to be able to use MCSE later when I decide on my write strategies. I hope this Firmware won’t lock up using the standalone MCSE flasher. If it gives me any more errors like this one I’m going to have to increase my blood pressure medicine. lol

I got something very similar

It starts flashing 1% 2% 3% 4% 5 6 7 8 9 10% light goes out

progress bar stays at 10% and about 20 seconds passes light on drive comes back on for about 6 seconds

then window pops up informing me

Update failed Check-sum is different between DRAM and BIN

Yet after clicking OK drive gets recognised as 1.05 previous firmware had been 1.03

Windows wants a restart after first flash Windows then picks up drive as 1.05

[quote=dontasciime;2009640]I got something very similar

It starts flashing 1% 2% 3% 4% 5 6 7 8 9 10% light goes out

progress bar stays at 10% and about 20 seconds passes light on drive comes back on for about 6 seconds

then window pops up informing me

Update failed Check-sum is different between DRAM and BIN

Yet after clicking OK drive gets recognised as 1.05 previous firmware had been 1.03

Windows wants a restart after first flash Windows then picks up drive as 1.05[/quote]

Try flashing it in a different machine, worked for me. :slight_smile:
Mine had exactly the same problem

Thats my next step as its in usb enclosure And I know how troublesome they can be with certain usb chipsets I got hundreds of them so It’s not going to be a problem.

Just thought I would post the exact error for future searches

I like the boot code (neverdie) :smiley:

[quote=dontasciime;2009885]Thats my next step as its in usb enclosure And I know how troublesome they can be with certain usb chipsets I got hundreds of them so It’s not going to be a problem.

Just thought I would post the exact error for future searches

I like the boot code (neverdie) :D[/quote]

I had to take mine out of the enclosure and put it in a normal PC, seems as this one doesn’t want to be updated thru usb. :wink:

There seems to be something very fishy going on with these LG flashers. My H55 was internal by itself on the secondary Master IDE, 80 flat, UDMA 4, PATA. I downloaded the flasher from LG’s site.

There was nothing running and the drive was empty so I started the flasher and it popped up a box asking if I wanted to re-flash the firmware. I clicked no at first and flasher disappeared. I started it again, it asked the same question, so I clicked yes.

It did something similar. The progress bar moved over to 6% one at a time then it stopped. After several seconds past it popped up the message “Update failed” “Drive may be in emergency mode now” “Can only be flashed with F/W”. And it remained in that state until I clicked “OK”. It never asked for a re-boot; but I re-booted at that time anyway. The Device Id from every info tool I could find (including Windows) now showed Ver 1.05 .

I tested the drive and found no problems but there is no way I can confirm it actually updated the Firmware. As far as I’m concerned it might have only got as far as changing the version code. I would need a test disc from the new media support added, to find out. I don’t have any of them. There is no tool that I can use to do a firmware dump and comparison to find out whats actually in there.

I decided to leave it alone. It worked just fine, no need to monkey with it. The last thing I wanted to do was take a perfectly new drive and kill it with some goofed up firmware flasher.

Only one thing maybe; INCD. I don’t remember if I disabled it or not. I keep wondering if it might have interfered with the flasher. Or maybe the flasher detected its presence before writing anything more than the bootcode and aborted.

I just don’t know…

The fact that it failed in one of my usb enclosures using X chipset and worked in another usb enclosure using Y chipset would indicate yours is suffering from whichever chipset controls IDE in your motherboard or a conflict with the IDE drivers Eg say your ide is jmicron. Try updating in another computer with different chispet or update your chipset drivers then try again.

You really should make the effort as it should be updated properly to 100% completion to avoid any future problems with a particular media id code that any future firmware might fix etc.

The flasher just doesn’t handle very well with USB-IDE converters, nothing to do with the controller being broken. I have two of them and they both suffer from the same problem, so…

[QUOTE=Metanoia;2046858]The flasher just doesn’t handle very well with USB-IDE converters, nothing to do with the controller being broken. I have two of them and they both suffer from the same problem, so…[/QUOTE]

To be honest, almost all of those adaptors initiate the same issues…

I’m not being funny but I have over 50 DVD writers and 15 computers and about 20 external usb enclosures with various chipsets Ali, PL2507 / PL3507 / GL811E etc

At no point did I say anything was broken, certain chipsets whether they be IDE to USB / Sata to USB or even IDE on motherboards do not function well sometimes with optical’s, with commands being sent to drive either being ignored or blocked.

As I said in previous post mine did not flash in one of my enclosures using whichever chipset is in that enclosure, I think (GL811E) but flashed 100% in another, so one chipset blocked commands one did not. The same can happen from IDE on a motherboard especially third party ones like Jmicron or when IDE drivers like Nforce storage drivers are screwing with the commands being sent to a drive.

I did however say try in another computer

Unfortunately, I don’t have another computer to try it with.

I am using an 845PE Max Intel chipset. IDE is ATA100. One difference though, I have always used the “Intel Application Accelerator” which controls everything using the 82801DB Ultra ATA Controller. It takes over control of the Drives’ DMA from Windows. There is in fact no control of the Drives’ DMA from Windows Device Manager after it is Installed. It automatically sets all Drives to maximum UDMA, which can only be changed through Intel App Acc control panel. It speeds up boot and allows Win98 to access drives larger than 137 Gigs. But XP was running during the flash attempt on the H55.

I thought it might be possible that the Intel-AA had something to do with it. To find out I will have to uninstall the Intel app, confirm DMA is on through Windows and try flashing again.

Drive is working fine though; so I won’t worry about it till I want to change write strategies with MCSE.

Did there not used to be an option to disable Intel Application Accelerator. I know some other vendors in read me used to say make sure it is not running when performing upgrades of any kind.

At the end of the day if you are happy with how drive is running just use it as is.

Me I would be flashing to success.

MCSE is the only reason why I would want to flash it. I use Verbatim MCC 004 or TY Yuden T03. So I don’t need a lot of support for media types. I’m afraid I might just flash my drive out of its already perfect operation into another book end. I need a scanner so after I get a Lite-on, if it checks out, I may try a few experiments in flashing again.

As far as disabling it, you can control its function from Pio-0 to unlimited UDMA. Its a low level execution during BIOs setup and has no executable referenced in Windows msconfig that I know of. You cannot disable the Ultra ATA Controller in the Device manager either. You wouldn’t bother digging up INFs or Windows System files, you just uninstall it.

I suspect there is a very good possibility that the Intel App Acc. caused the flash abort. It reads Ver 1.05 and Ala42 says the Checksum was OK or it would have booted into ‘Safe Mode’. Anyway the Drive Benchmarks out perfect so, … why try to fix something that works. :wink: