Tray will not open

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LVW-5026. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]it is a 5005 dvd recorder
tray will not open.
there is a whirring noise as if it is trying to open
have tried switching on/off
ta

[QUOTE=volvovolvovolvo;2177985][qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LVW-5026. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]it is a 5005 dvd recorder
tray will not open.
there is a whirring noise as if it is trying to open
have tried switching on/off
ta[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the drive in the unit is a gonner, you could try getting a replacment if still under warranty or replace the drive with another one by using the guides on this site.

Or you might be able to disassemble the unit and hope you can manually eject the drive with the pin in the emergency exit button.

You know where to find the little hole on the front of the drawer, right?..and poke a little paper-clip wire into that…there´s a micro-switch in there which usually lets it open.

If that doesn´t work you are allowed to force it “gently” open with a screw driver. It is seriously possible it may never work again, but hey…now you can get something really groovy for Christmas

:cool:

You can take the drive out of your recorder and hook it up to your computer to open the tray.

many thanks for the responses - will try over Christmas

I had the same problem with my 5005. Just took the plastic cover off of the drive (after removing it from the unit), tested it for drawer in/out functionality (worked fine), then put it back together. Worked fine.

Seemed to be either a warped plastic top (which houses a small magnet to hold the disk in place), or a faulty main drive. I found that if I didn’t put the small screws that hold the plastic in all the way, the unit worked.

Good luck.