Tray doesn't open on SHW-160P6S

vbimport

I have a Lite-On drive (SHW-160P6S) that came with an Acer computer. It worked for 2 years, but all of a sudden tray stopped opening. I press the button, it makes a noise like it’s about to open, but the tray doesn’t slide out. I can still pop it open with a paperclip thru the emergency eject hole, but it won’t open otherwise. The drive still works. I can try taking the drive apart but I’m not sure if this is fixable, has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

[QUOTE=GKnight;2131926]I have a Lite-On drive (SHW-160P6S) that came with an Acer computer. It worked for 2 years, but all of a sudden tray stopped opening. I press the button, it makes a noise like it’s about to open, but the tray doesn’t slide out. I can still pop it open with a paperclip thru the emergency eject hole, but it won’t open otherwise. The drive still works. I can try taking the drive apart but I’m not sure if this is fixable, has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I have the External USB version of that model doing the same thing a couple months ago. I give it a slight bump on the table and it will open up. BTW even using software to open it will still stick.

Paul

Mine just started doing the same recently. Since the tray’s front bezel can contribute to the stickiness, I took the one from my drive off and it helped for a period.

Now it’s back to the same behavior. I’m eventually going to replace the drive.

I’ve got a couple of drives with this problem, and I opened one up and think I found the cause and a solution.

The cause seems to be that the spindle parts are getting stuck together when there’s no media in the drive. The piece that holds the media from the bottom – it’s black with a rubbery perimeter – is getting stuck in the white part that’s in the top cover and helps clamp the media in. This prevents the tray from lowering before it opens.

The solution was to take the covers off the drive and blow dust/dirt off both parts. Seems to fix the problem!

Never mind. My fix didn’t last – and the problem is worse if you mount the drive vertically which I have to do.

I think I’m giving up on these drives. :frowning:

I think I’ve found a good fix for this problem - it’s the belt! I replaced it with this belt from MCM Electronics. Now the tray opens reliably even when the drive is mounted vertically. (Unfortunately MCM Electronics’ shipping is a bit high for small orders.)

I found this posted somewhere but I can’t remember where it was at the moment
and I haven’t tried it yet so it may work and then again it may not work. :confused:

[B]In many Liteon drives tray gets stuck and would not eject. The reason for it is too
strong magnetic puck that presses the disc to the spindle. There is a way to fix this.
Tools needed: good quality duct tape, sharp scissors, philips #2.

1. Remove the drive. 2. Eject the tray with a pin. 3. Remove four screws.
  2. Loosen front bezel. 5. Gently pry out the innards away from the metal
    case to get access to the puck.

The magnetic puck is a small round rare-earth super magnet encased in white plastic.
It has a shape that allows sticking to its bottom a small round padding inside of the
recessed area - the sticker should have no more than about 10 mm diameter and have
a small 2 mm hole in the center. I made the sticker from two layers of duct tape.
Make sure to use good quality of tape, so the glue would hold well but not spread from
underneath and cause more trouble.[/B]

Great tip, worked great !
Thanks

[QUOTE=afecu;2513810]I think I’ve found a good fix for this problem - it’s the belt! I replaced it with this belt from MCM Electronics. Now the tray opens reliably even when the drive is mounted vertically. (Unfortunately MCM Electronics’ shipping is a bit high for small orders.)[/QUOTE]

I’ve had that problem with a different Lite-On drive - a SOHC-5235k cdrw/dvd-rom combo drive on my custom built computer where the tray won’t open up with the eject button. Wish I had found this tip sooner cuz I threw the Lite-On SOHC-5235k drive away recently.

But on my friend’s eMachines T5048 media center desktop computer, which also has the Lite-On SHW-160P6S drive but the front cover is silver and “curved” not straight like the SHW-160P6S drives found in other PCs, the disc tray being stuck almost rarely happens but it does happen. I may try this tip on his drive if the tray ever got stuck when pressing the eject button.