Traxdata have gone down hill :(

vbimport

Just got 150 traxdata discs packaged in spindles of 50. According to cdr identifier, they are still ritek discs but they are no where near as good as the old ones packaged in spindles of 25!

I’ve burnt around 30 cds with them so far, and according to cd speed about 1% percent of each disc is damaged in just one day after burning! I checked some of my older traxdatas and there are none even after a few months. Looks like I won’t be ordering these again…

Originally posted by BluDChyLD

they are still ritek discs but they are no where near as good as the old ones packaged in spindles of 25!

Thanks for the warning ! It’ll come in handy.
The thing is that I was about to buy Traxdata 48x 50pcs yesterday, not having run into those for some while.

no problem. I’m going to run a few more tests tomorrow, I’ll post the results :slight_smile:

After some extensive testing here are the results -

As you can see, the majority of the cds actually seem ok. Many of the low error rates (0.20 - 0.70) seems to be minor fluctuations and weren’t there when performing a surface scan again. Although this questions the integrity and stability of the discs, giving different error rates. I am going to reburn the discs with a consistently high error rate to ensure the data is ok.

Although they are a little disappointing compared to traxdatas older line, with exception of a few they are still good cds. The low error rates are hardly a cause for concern as the mode 1 error correction seems to take care things easily. (In my experiance a 1% error rate is normal for a disc that is a few months old no matter what brand it is.)

I shall continue using them, but from now on I will check each disc after burning to make sure it is ok. What do you guys think the results, good discs or bad discs?

After some extensive testing here are the results -

Thomas,

Thanks for the table !
Would you please share your knowledges with us - I wonder what SW/HW you use for running your tests ?

I’ve just made a scan of one of my last year recordings on Traxdata ( Ritek 97 31 05 ), which looks as follows :

Hi Boskin,
Some nice results there :slight_smile: The majority of my ritek discs (all by traxdata) produce a couple of damaged sectors after a few months… Most of the data I backup is for archival use, they are stored in large cd wallets and are rarely used. It’s strange thats mine get bad sectors and yours don’t…

I used cdspeed to collect most of the data, but then changed to cdrtools cdread for more accurate results. I’ve just created a new thread regarding the results I had with cdread, it seems the c2 errors my cd drive is picking up are inconsistent and change on every scan… Check it outhere

Some nice results there :slight_smile:

The majority of my ritek discs (all by traxdata) … are stored in large cd wallets and are rarely used.
It’s strange thats mine get bad sectors and yours don’t…

Thanks !

The large cd wallets is the cause of all your troubles w Traxdata,
'coz I keep mine in jewel cases and everything’s fine.
Just kidding, man ! :bigsmile:

But you’re right regarding inconsistency -
e.g. when I tested the same disc yesterday,
there had been shown 0,11% ( 1 yellow block @ around 60’ ) damaged -
it’s kind of hard to guess what could cause that ? :confused:
But it’s a rather known thing happening with CD Speed ScanDisc .

some good news! When reading the discs at a lower speed (8 or 16) the c2 errors disappear on virtually all the discs :slight_smile: Does this mean they are reliable and the data stored on them is safe?
Cheers

Please try to avoid posting the same thing in multiple threads, it makes the moderators grumpy. :frowning: