Traxdata drive - how to flash to Liteon?

A friend of mine has recently picked up a Traxdata “TX” drive which is based on the LTR-52327S, going by the firmware it is the second revision of the 52327 without the EEPROM (Firmware is QSG5 if I remember correctly). Any ideas how I can change this drive into a genuine Liteon such that he can use future Liteon flash updates with it? Can I use Mtkflash and won’t this screw up the calibration data?

Help!

Hellraiser…>

The trick to updating this drive with LtnFW seems to be to use the Update Bootcode option. When this is selected, the drive knows not to overwrite the calibration data area. Still, this drive should not be flashed with firmwares meant for the first version. Only if a newer firmware meant for the second version should come out.

MtkFlash DOES update the bootcode, but the question is, if it flashes the same way as LtnFW does!?!
Anyway MtkFlash can backup entire firmware so if something went wrong, there would be chance to recover the driveto orig. state.
THESE ARE JUST MY PERSONAL OPINIONS! DON’T CRY IF YOU KILL YOUR DRIVE!

More info:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=85712

Originally posted by HellraiserUK
[B]A friend of mine has recently picked up a Traxdata “TX” drive which is based on the LTR-52327S, going by the firmware it is the second revision of the 52327 without the EEPROM (Firmware is QSG5 if I remember correctly). Any ideas how I can change this drive into a genuine Liteon such that he can use future Liteon flash updates with it? Can I use Mtkflash and won’t this screw up the calibration data?

Help!

Hellraiser…> [/B]

Don’t use mtkflash. Read this:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85712

Best thing to do, probably, is to use FlashFix on the LiteOn EXE flasher. Or if you try to load a .BIN, follow dhc014’s instructions on using LtnFW with bootcode.

*Edit: sorry for the 2nd response; seems like someone posted a response while I was still writing mine…

Best thing to do, probably, is to use FlashFix on the LiteOn EXE flasher. Or if you try to load a .BIN, follow dhc014’s instructions on using LtnFW with bootcode.

Tried this, but Flashfix reports an error that there are too many firmwares in the .exe and that it only works with single firmware revisions.

*Edit: sorry for the 2nd response; seems like someone posted a response while I was still writing mine…

No need to apologise, any info is useful even if it is to tell me that I’m most likely stuffed - the drive is so new it’s not even mentioned on Traxdata’s website, they mention the Tx Uranus but not the Uranus 2 :frowning:

Hellraiser…>

Hmm. dhc014’s collection doesn’t have BINs of the NOEEPROM firmwares. Extract the .BIN from your .EXE (use XFlash-X; see the tool collection stickied at the top of the forum) and flash using LtnFW and bootcode, as dhc014 instructed.

Oh, and of course, backup your FW with LtnFW before flashing. And dhc014 would probably be interested in getting copy of your backup for his collection.

Will LtnFw work with a non-Liteon/rebadged drive?

Hellraiser…>

Originally posted by HellraiserUK
[B]Will LtnFw work with a non-Liteon/rebadged drive?

Hellraiser…> [/B]

Should work.

Try backing up your FW with LtnFW. If it backs up just fine, then using LtnFW to do the flash should be okay.

You drive probably is a first revision drive with an EEPROM. The QS5*/QS0* naming scheme doesn’t apply to OEM firmware revisions.

The easiest thing to do is use the 4KUS OEM firmware QSGE from www.4kus.com.tw

This firmware is fairly new too.

Yep, it worked fine - thanks!!

Hellraiser…>