Traxdata double sided (ritek)

:rolleyes:

im about to buy a cake of those traxdata double sided media to give them a try…

http://www.nierle1.com/s01.php?sid=PG001013112251772578759125177257&shopid=s01&cur=eur&sp=sp&ag=1&os=1&br=1&pp=aa&bnr=5009

ANYBODY TRIED THEM?
the idea works out good for me as i want them to rebackup dvds splitted on two discs i have…but…

as u can see DVD+R are ritek R03
and DVD-R are ritek G05

AS G05 ARE REPORTED AS CRAP DUE DATA LOSS
IM DOING WELL BUYING R03 OR SHOULD AVOID THE PURCHASE :doh:

Haven’t tried them myself, but I’m considering buying some of the double-sided DVD+R. So I’d also be interested in hearing about experiences with this media.

I bought some of the 8x Ritek double sided DVD+R and so far haven’t really had any complaints. I’ve never heard anyone bad mouth the 8x +R for longevity and burned at 6x they don’t scan much worse then most of the 16x Verbs I have scan when burnt at 8x. Since one side is smaller when I split generally I’ve been burning the title on the smaller side with DiscT@2.

thanks mates, being B GRADE stuff i dont expect any spectacular scan
and this ones would need more care at handling as both sides are recordable.
but as long as readability is good and dont degrade in 6 moths or so
i will be happy as i want them for long term storage.

i will give them a try, then i report something when recieved.

What exactly do you mean by B Grade stuff? Are you referring to the ratings at DigitalFAQ or something else?

AFAIK Traxdata is a premier Ritek brand.

i will give them a try, then i report something when recieved.
Looking forward to it! :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: OF COURSE

but yes being traxdata means they should be good quality riteks

it the degrading ritek reports about what im afraid.

IMO DigitalFAQ is pretty outdated - it goes mostly by coasters, which I think is ridicilous given that only extremely bad discs coaster out. It is much better to ask and read peoples thoughts and responses to media questions on a forum like this because it’s mostly based on first-hand experience and is more up-to-date with current happenings etc IMO :slight_smile:

Hear hear, couldn’t have said it better myself :iagree:

Hm, was surprised to see flippers coming back…
At least for Labelflash/DiscT@2 it would be a good purchase. :smiley:

considering only mkm verbs dl are actually trustable, :rolleyes:

and one single yuden dl is about 5€… :doh:

a bit of extra care and a flip, may be worth it. :iagree:

if they are good im going to save a lot in double dvd packaging… and in labeling them either :stuck_out_tongue:

for labeling purpouses ive got 500 central sticker hubs of a metalic polymere that doesnt degrade, and wont do no harm to readability as paper sticks
similar to the ones dvd rental does they allow a code bar to identify
every dvd.

the bet is placed…ordered…lets see how they are. :bigsmile:

The Ritek double sided 8x +R I have have a label to write on in the center already. Maybe I’ll see if I can post up some regular and DiscT@2 pictures sometime tomorrow.

[quote=kojikabuto;1912334]the bet is placed…ordered…lets see how they are. :bigsmile:[/quote] Did you get the DVDs yet?

yes, i been a bit busy to test them.

but as promised here there are my conclusions:

to me they are average, nothing special.:rolleyes:

first of all disc come in an old taiyo-like light grey bottom cakebox and properly sealed,
but theres a lack of the usual protective plastic dummy disc,
and i recieved the cake upside down. :doh:

so the first disc is ruined with smudges and scratched.

the center protective ring is not the usual foam one,
is thinner and of a cheapo material so it does not avoid the disc from touching the inner plastic top of the cake,
in case they come upsidedown like mine.:disagree:

also discs are a bit more dusty than desirable for a sealed cake so take in mind that untill the first 5 or 6 discs are out you wont see a spotless one.

considering they are 2 recordable-sided flippers,
a bit more of care in packaging would be the desirable thing.

once the dusty first discs are put aside,

lets start with the first test.

ups… disc not recognized!..bad start.:confused:

restarted pc to fresh session.

now disc is recognized at last :iagree:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RITEK-R03-002]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [002]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

cd speed 4.7.7.0 test

(first image)

the first attempt results are pretty dissapointing with an overall quality of 93 an a group of spikes on the 160 pif range.

jitter bit high on 11 peak, trt doesnt look good either(img.2)

considering im used to pif peaks of max 8 and jitter no more than 10
im not too happy :disagree:

so lets move on

cleaned opc cache and downloaded cdspeed 4.7.7.5

recorded a new disc

now results are a bit better(img.3)

pif a bit high with not good looking spikes of 88 at the end
but pi under the 500 range and overall quality 95

it starts to be at least acceptable.

the trt seems pretty similar… no improvement there (img.4)

now lets test it on a kprobe test at 4x

this looks fine to me (img.5) :wink:
45 peak a bit high but nothing to worry much about.

so i would not consider them totally crap :Z
as the results are mixed…

but unless you desperately need flippers better avoid them.

take notice that my cake was a bit dusty.
but even if they were mint condition i think probably had to use most of them for giveaways…

and also beign ritek is the BIG question mark of degradability.

we will see in 6 months.:cop:

Personally I’d scan at 4x with that drive, the 20xxx Liteys seem to be lousy 8x scanners. I’ve had good luck burning at 6x with Ritek R03 on my Liteys and 111L. Here’s two burns with Smartburn disabled and nothing else checked, and the bottom two have only OHT checked. As far as longevity, Ritek +R hasn’t ever been reported to have the problems it’s -R have as far as degrading. Main concern is the initial burn quality.

thanks,

never had a problem scanning my mcc04´s at 8x but seems you are right as u can tell the dif. betwen my cdspeed scan and the same disc scanned at 4x with kprobe.

i will post a 4x cdspeed scan in a moment.

yes you were right, a 4x cdspeed scan looks better,

similar to the kprobe results

still annoying the 20-37 range pif an jitter over 10
but i think no one can say its a really bad burn.

must add discs have that disgusting “irregular laquer drop finish on the edges”, some late media has.

If you burn at 6x you’ll prolly see the PIE drop some, possibly the jitter. I burn 8x media at 6x, excluding TY media or BenQ burned media(no 6x). I didn’t see a mention of what speed you burned so I’m assuming 8x. As you say though not gonna get a Hall of Fame burn out of these, then again none of the MCC media I have will produce a HoF caliber burn either.

Thanks for posting your results, [B]kojikabuto[/B]. :slight_smile:

[quote=kojikabuto;1925924]first of all disc come in an old taiyo-like light grey bottom cakebox and properly sealed,
but theres a lack of the usual protective plastic dummy disc,
and i recieved the cake upside down. :doh:

so the first disc is ruined with smudges and scratched.

the center protective ring is not the usual foam one,
is thinner and of a cheapo material so it does not avoid the disc from touching the inner plastic top of the cake,
in case they come upsidedown like mine.:disagree:

also discs are a bit more dusty than desirable for a sealed cake so take in mind that untill the first 5 or 6 discs are out you wont see a spotless one.[/quote] This happens with a lot of media in my experience, including Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden.

I think there were at least 10 scuffed discs in my last 50pc cakebox of Verbatim branded Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R media, presumably because the discs are free to shake and rotate during transport.

[quote=kojikabuto;1926023]must add discs have that disgusting “irregular laquer drop finish on the edges”, some late media has.[/quote] Do you mean like Taiyo Yuden media?

If that’s what you mean, I much prefer the excessive lacquer rather than insufficient lacquer that result in bad bonding.

thanks to both.

i burnt the discs with Copy to dvd SE (vso engine) (never liked nero to burn dvd) at max speed so i guess it was at 8x
ill try to burn next disc with a limit of 6x and post results again,thanks for the advice.

drage: thats because im so used to 10 dvd verb spindles that as much come with first and last dvd with some dust.

in those media does not move inside the cake

im very picky about it because we know what one apparently “innofesive” spot of dust might do to a good burn

for instance i dont buy tapewrapped TY media and always look for cakeboxed because on wrap disc does not move but stick to each other.

about the edges yes,

i meant like some TY, theres nothing wrong with it i just thought was good to mention as i always heard some faked low quality media seem to be bad laquered on the edges as well.

not used to buy such a crap, for instance i think this are the cheapest media i bought in my life, but while not beign nothing special if at least they do the job i will be more than happy.

here is a 6x burn

much better indeed.
appart from the 3 pie spike looks beautiful to me.

im going to try to burn my ty03 16X media at 12x to see if they improve.