TRAXDATA 8X DVD+R only 4X on 2500 with 1.06 fw

Hello

I have the Nec 2500 burner
Firmware : 1.06 (03121900)
Software: Nero 6.3.1.6

When starting Nero with no DVD in my burner, the maximum burn speed stated = 2.4 !!! Shouldn’t this be 8x

When putting in a DVD-R Princo (4x) it states maximum speed at 4x. Seems allright

However when inserting a Traxdata DVD+R 8x it also states maximum speed at 4x, and this should be 8x ??

What am I doing wrong ???

Help please

Chances are the media code of those Traxdata DVD+R are not supported by the current firmware at 8x. It’s the same with Ritek R03 media, and others. We have to wait for a firmware update, so that the NEC can support all these new 8x rated media, at 8x.

For the moment, it seems most 8x media that wasn’t around when the ND-2500A came out, will currently only burn at 4x. We just need to be patient.

The Traxdata problem is probably that the current firmware doesn’t have an 8x strategy for that media. What’s the media code of those discs (you can find this with a tool like DVDINFOPro)?

David

Originally posted by DavidW
[B]The Traxdata problem is probably that the current firmware doesn’t have an 8x strategy for that media. What’s the media code of those discs (you can find this with a tool like DVDINFOPro)?

David [/B]

This is the info I get with DVDINFOPro for the Traxdata 8x DVD-R

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK R03
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Linear Density Blank Disc
Track Density Unknown
Number of Layers 1

And this is what I get with DVD Identifier:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RITEK-R03-001]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [001]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x - 8x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

** INFO : An Empty Writable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A [FW 1.06]
** INFO : [DVD+R:RITEK-R03-001]
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 5408 KBPS (4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 3245 KBPS (2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
Descriptor #1 = 5645 KBPS (4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 4234 KBPS (3.06x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #3 = 3528 KBPS (2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 2822 KBPS (2.04x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #5 = 1411 KBPS (1.20x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #6 = 706 KBPS (0.51x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
** WARNING : Drive May Have Returned Incorrect Descriptors

Yep, you’re not doing anything wrong.
All 2500 owners are waiting for a firmware update to allow 8x burning on this media type.

Originally posted by wesociety
Yep, you’re not doing anything wrong.
All 2500 owners are waiting for a firmware update to allow 8x burning on this media type.

Oké fair enough, but shouldn’t nero state that the maximum speed is 8x when no media is inserted ?

DMA is enabled.

No Nero just says maximum until 8x Media is detected.

So long as the results are correct with media inserted (bearing in mind the limitations of the firmware in your drive - as others have said, Ritek R03 isn’t supported at 8x in current firmware), I wouldn’t worry about what is offered with no media inserted.

Usually you are offered the drive’s maximum speed with no media inserted. I’m a little bemused as to why you’re not being offered it, but it clearly isn’t affecting the operation of your drive. As such, I’d regard it purely as a cosmetic problem.

David

I’m on my second DVD writer, and the fastest speed Nero has ever offered me with no media in the drive is 2.4 speed.

Well then I guess I will have to wait for a firmware update,
any news about an upcoming update ?

NEC say update shortly,and the firmware hackers are working on it.Wonder which one will be ready first?

What Media is 8x writable on the NEC2500 at the moment ?

Full list of media here.
http://www.necd.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/557

NECs media list says that Maxell 4x certified DVD+R is capable of 8x writing with the 2500A.
However, others have reported that this is not the case. (only 4x capable currently)
So it looks like their “official” media list contains some errors…

Originally posted by wesociety
NECs media list says that Maxell 4x certified DVD+R is capable of 8x writing with the 2500A.
However, others have reported that this is not the case. (only 4x capable currently)
So it looks like their “official” media list contains some errors…

More likely that Maxell isn’t making their own media, and that “some” Maxell works at 8x, but some works at 4x, dependent on actual manufacturer.

i just hit this problem. with the new firmware of 1.07, it seems that this problem still exists. is this new firmware not able to allow 8x burning of ritek r03 media? is anyone still having this problem?

//krunk (^_^x)

Herries 107v2b5 firmware allows 8X burning on all RitekR03 discs.
My R03 discs burn very well at 8X .

Yes use “Herries” firmware it burns so good and you can do most media at 8X. Just remember when burning 4X media at that speed to make sure you have good disc.

i heard that the PI/PO when using the Herrie’s firmware is only acceptable @ 8x. i’m also guessing the PI/PO level is the quality of the burn.

//krunk (^_^x)

Check this out for RITEKR03

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=93943

I still don’t know how many people have tested for Herrie R03, but there is my result. My Traxtata 8x +R work’s fine with all of firmwares what was released after my tests…