'translate' DVD format?

Guys & Gals,

I had an old DVD player /recorder before I built my HTPC. I had burned a bunch of TV programs to DVDs that I did not know were not ‘finalized.’ No message ever appeared asking me to finalize the disks, and it didn’t occur to me that they needed to be since I only used CD-R disks.

I discovered the issue after the player/recorder died. When I try to play those DVDs on my XP Media Center HTPC it doesn’t even ‘see them.’

I learned that I can copy the material from those DVDs to my hard disk and then burn the image to a DVD, which ‘finalizes’ the disk in the process. OK. So, I did that and now I can play that DVD on the computer that burned it using Nero Showtime. Good!

But I still can’t play the DVD on my Media Center HTPC. Do I have any other option other than installing Nero on my HTPC and using Nero Showtime to play it? Or can I somehow ‘translate’ the info so that Media Center can play it directly?

Thanks, I tried to explain it as briefly as I could.

I have been working on a solution on my computer for something else & have not yet applied anything to fix it.I think you have a similar problem .Your OS isn’t reading the older UDF the original CD-R’s were recorded in.The copy & burn duplicated the older UDF.
Nero has a UDF reader InCD but from what I’ve read it can cause conflicts.That’s why I haven’t installed it on my OS.
I am still researching this for my OS.If I come up with a solution I will post it.
Maybe someone else has the solution.

First of all, I think we’re talking about DVDs rather than CDs?

@JoeHill: please could you tell us whether the original recordings were made in DVD-R ‘Video Mode’ or ‘VR mode’. Also, in some detail, please describe the method and programs you used to make the copies from the original unfinalised discs.

imkidd57

Thank you.

The recorder I used to make the original recording was a Sony RHX900. I don’t know what mode they use. I used only DVD-R disks. I may still have the user manual could I find that info somewhere in there?

I used Nero Burning ROM to copy the data from the DVD as an ‘image’ to the hard drive. It makes a file with the extension .nrg. Then I repeated the process by using that file to burn the image to the DVD.

I hope that helps. I am a real newbie.

Well with standalone DVD recorders using DVD -R discs, you have the option of recording in ‘video mode’ if you knew it was to be just a basic fixed-length recording. However, if you anticipated doing any editing - like cutting out adverts - then -VR mode could be selected whch would allow you to play about like that. If you think you didn’t deliberately change it then it would probably have been made in the the default; and likely to be ‘video mode’.

Even though I’m not sure what’s going on in your case, copying via ISO (or .nrg) images would probably preserve a lot of things that might make another PC not recognise them. However, copying the DVD folders (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) to another disc - rather than using an ISO image - followed by finalising should make the destination disc readable in another PC (i.e. your HTPC).

However, copying the DVD folders (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) to another disc - rather than using an ISO image - followed by finalising should make the destination disc readable in another PC (i.e. your HTPC).

To further amplify, 'Explore" your new disc and see what’s on there. Actually all you would need is the VIDEO_TS folder. You could open Nero Express choose DVD-Video files and simply drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder into Nero. It will take awhile as it’s copying from the drive/disc.

But Nero Showtime plays DVD+VR/-VR, your HTPC player may not. Seeing as no conversion was done that may be part of the problem.

Seeing as your original disc was readable, I might try using Nero Vision, Make DVD-> DVD-Video-> Import Disc, and see what happens.