Transferring data from RITEKG05

vbimport

I have a few movies burned to the infamous Ridata RITEKG05, they are about 4 years old now and still play perfectly fine… maybe I’ve been lucky, but to be safe is it recommended if I backup the movie from the G05’s and reburn on a much better disc like a Verb? Will there be any data loss? Or should I backup from the source dvd again… thanks in advance

[QUOTE=ironmanDD;2573837]I have a few movies burned to the infamous Ridata RITEKG05, they are about 4 years old now and still play perfectly fine… maybe I’ve been lucky, but to be safe is it recommended if I backup the movie from the G05’s and reburn on a much better disc like a Verb? Will there be any data loss? Or should I backup from the source dvd again… thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

If they still play perfectly fine, I see no problem in backing up from them as long as
there isn’t any read errors or slow downs in playback.

Agree with Getit29 - reburn from the G05s (definitely quicker than ripping from the source discs again then reburning)…but me being the wary type, have the original source discs on standby just in case. :wink:

Luckily when my own G05s went south, I could retrieve the data from them with an old 8x LiteOn DVD burner, which saved ripping it all again from the originals or losing my photos etc that I hadn’t backed up :slight_smile:

excellent thanks for the info…

Arachne: How would reburning from the G05 be quicker than ripping from the original… wouldnt it be the same amount of time? (considering the original doesnt have to be re encoded to fit on dvdr)

[QUOTE=ironmanDD;2574068]excellent thanks for the info…

Arachne: How would re-burning from the G05 be quicker than ripping from the original… wouldnt it be the same amount of time? (considering the original doesnt have to be re encoded to fit on dvdr)[/QUOTE]

I think Arachne would tell you the same thing as me, the reason it is quicker
is you can do a direct disc to disc copy instead of having to rip it to your hard
drive first because of copy protection and then burn it to the new disc.

That is if the original disc is copy protected to start with but if the original disc’s
are not copy protected then you can do a direct disc to disc copy with the proper
software if it will fit on the blank disc that is without any compression.

I always use the Nero Express disc copy function to re-backup any of my burned
disc’s that I decide to be necessary because their getting scratched before they
get completely un-readable.

[QUOTE=getit29;2574091]I think Arachne would tell you the same thing as me, the reason it is quicker
is you can do a direct disc to disc copy instead of having to rip it to your hard
drive first because of copy protection and then burn it to the new disc.

That is if the original disc is copy protected to start with but if the original disc’s
are not copy protected then you can do a direct disc to disc copy with the proper
software if it will fit on the blank disc that is without any compression.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. :bigsmile:

Also, if the discs are starting to deteriorate, you should be able to copy them successfully by making an image and then writing with ImgBurn.

are the ridata brand G05’s decent? or are ALL G05 crap no matter the brand…
how about ridata (RitekF1)?

[QUOTE=ironmanDD;2574226]are the ridata brand G05’s decent? or are ALL G05 crap no matter the brand…
how about ridata (RitekF1)?[/QUOTE]

Do not buy any more RitekG05 media. They are absolutely unpredictable - some may be good, some may deteriorate in two weeks.
The RitekF1 media burn quite well in most modern drives.

[QUOTE=ironmanDD;2574226]are the ridata brand G05’s decent? or are ALL G05 crap no matter the brand…

My best advice is stay away from any brand of the G05 media and buy
something like Verbatim or TY media instead. Yeah it might cost just
a little bit more than Ritek / Ridata discs but in the long run you will
be a lot happier with the results and longevity. :iagree:

But when buying Verbatim or TY media stay away from the Life Series
of Verbatim and the Value Line of TY media as they are crap. :doh:

I’d steer clear of any G05 in future - because, as pepst says, they’re unpredictable…you don’t know which ones will be affected, or how long it’ll be before they do become unreadable.

Dunno about RiData branded RITEK F1, but the Maxell branded ones burn well on the drives I’ve tried them on. Longevity-wise, I’ve only kept mine a matter of weeks, but I’ve not heard any real horror stopries about that MID.

Out of curiosity, which drive(s) are you using to burn your discs? It might be that we can recommend a particular MID that the drive burns well. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2574027]Agree with Getit29 - reburn from the G05s (definitely quicker than ripping from the source discs again then reburning)…[/QUOTE]Hm.
Let me try some more precise wording:
Read the G05 as Image, then burn to new blank media.

You don’t want to copy on-the-fly especially if the source disc might cause reading problems (depending on the grade of deterioration).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2574281]Hm.
Let me try some more precise wording:
Read the G05 as Image, then burn to new blank media.[/QUOTE]

Ah well, the OP knew what I was getting at, so it’s all good. :slight_smile:

As for burning on-the-fly, I nevereverever recommend it. Not worth the risk of a bad burn, no matter how swish and well setup your PC may be. :wink:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2574281]Hm.You don’t want to copy on-the-fly especially if the source disc might cause reading problems (depending on the grade of deterioration).

Michael[/QUOTE]

I’ll agree with both if you on that point, burning on the fly is just
begging for trouble and I know all to well how easy that is to find
when burning on the fly. :eek:

Back in my very early burning days when I didn’t know any better I
tried the copy and burn on the fly and there is no telling how many
discs I ruined in the process because back then there was no buffer
underun protection in the burners and the least little thing would do
it (cause a buffer underun) and the burn would just stop with a error.

I burned the all of my backups with a pioneer 110d, but I’m forced to use my girlfriends HP Touchsmart right now and the burner is an HP TS-T633L

I stumbled on this thread by accident, felt I had to intervene :wink:

You get the message by now you should stay away from RitekG05. Even though I’ve never had a problem with the G05 series I have, the scare of their unpredictability panicked and made me copy my data onto safer, more secure RitekF1 discs. (All Maxell)

However, the experience I have had on G05 discs are only small - Just a ten pack of SumVision Gold Top I mistaked for Maxell I bought as new old stock from my local supplier. They burned okay, but they would burn only at 2.4x and no higher, but verified to about 10x (So higher than the max burning speed 8x). I’ve never had a disc dye do that before, so I was a bit concerned for it’s longitivity.

No problem as of late, however :slight_smile: The RiData, however, I have a feeling might have the edge over SumVision… But yes, if you have an G05 discs it’s not worth finding out your data is unreadable in a few weeks because you burned to shoddy discs. If you haven’t done so already, always back up to the RitekF1, or even better, Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs!